Help! Touch typing software?

jmcorey

Registered
Hi All,

After reading the GTD book more, I was convicted of my need to inprove my typing skills. I watched my new department chairman type in his internet password without looking at the keyboard. I thought, "Wow, if I could do that, my life would go so much faster."

For example, I hit the backspace key at least 20 times typing this.

Help!

Thanks!!!

jOE (See what I mnean???)

M

michael_tell

Recommanded solution

Hi, I am using this program for some time.
Lots of experience. Recommanded!
www.learntt.com
Good-Luck!
Mike

severance1970

Registered
Instead of looking for software, you can start training immediately with a number of online typing tutors available. Just Google "online typing tutors" for a list, but my favorite is the Flash-based typing-lessons.org.

L

linda_smith

learn to type

Hi -
here is a great software which will help you out-
www.learntt.com
its called touch typing technology, and its a fast and easy software for touch typing! makes life so much easier...

jmcorey said:
Hi All,

After reading the GTD book more, I was convicted of my need to inprove my typing skills. I watched my new department chairman type in his internet password without looking at the keyboard. I thought, "Wow, if I could do that, my life would go so much faster."

For example, I hit the backspace key at least 20 times typing this.

Help!

Thanks!!!

jOE (See what I mnean???)

G

gtdfuture

Maybe not software...

If you want to focus on typing (and not using software), I recommend a book for about £8/$16. They are normally called something like "Learn to touch type in 30 days".

Like the online tutors you start with the home keys (asdf and jkl; ) and build up to add letters. However you have a definite sense of completion as you work through the exercises and it helps you adapt to looking away from the screen whilst typing (handy when typing sections from books, letters etc).

I learnt this way about 8 years ago and was up to 60 words per minute with a couple of months.

(yay, my first post!)

H

hnrdorn

ecommanded Software

I do recommand the Touch Typing Technology (www.learnt.com) It works great! Basically, it is axactely what I was looking for.. The software works perfectly for me and my typing is so much better!
HnrDorn

H

hnrdorn

Great Software

I do recommand the Touch Typing Technology
(www.learntt.com)
It works great!
Basically, it is axactely what I was looking for..
The software works perfectly for me and my typing is so much better! HnrDorn

L

linda_smith

i agree- its realy good

hnrdorn;43223 said:
I do recommand the Touch Typing Technology
(www.learntt.com)
It works great!
Basically, it is axactely what I was looking for..
The software works perfectly for me and my typing is so much better! HnrDorn

this software is realy good, i have to agree,
you can find it in www.learntt.com
or just look in google and you will probably find it there too.

Alchemist

Registered
Just do it!

My daughter, age 8, is learning to touch type. She saw the Garfield typing software and said she was interested. It was cheap, so I bought it. All of them use the same basic method of teaching touch typing. Just pick one and use it. I used it as a refreasher from my high school typing class and increased my speed from 30 to 60 wpm.

Jamie Elis

Registered
a few thoughts

I was once a resonably accurate touch typist--in the days of type writers and type writer tables. I continued to be so in the ealy computer days--back then you moved around with key combinations., no mouse. Now I am terrible. This is what I think has happened. The mouse takes my fingers off the key board and even although the f and j have little "nibs" to let you know by feel that you are back in the right place on the key board, I can barely feel them.

The other problem is that I do not have an adjustable table so the height is bad for me typing at the desk top and I take my hands off then keys any time that I can. As to the laptop, typing with it on my lap is excruciatingly painful. and worse at regualr table height

You might take a lesson from my experience--get a table that adjusts to your height. Also learn the speed key short cuts so that you use the mouse or track ball as little as possible.

I just recognized the significance of the table height problem. As soon as I can find an adjustable table where the surface is offset from the support column, I am buying it.