Hit F5 in notepad to make a timestamp, and other cool timestamp tricks

My GTD system is managed mainly through folders and NOTEPAD.
Sometimes I find it necessary to time and date something.
Just found out that hitting F5 in Notepad easily enters a timestamp.

This post also has info on making your notepad file into a log where everytime you open it, it enters a current timestamp at the bottom and moves your cursor down there too.

roakleyca

Registered
That is very cool.

Anyone know an easy way to enter a date and time stamp in Outlook? Specifically in the notes section of tasks?

Thanks

Ryan

sdstang65

Registered
Time Stamp Tools

I use a free program called SuperKeys. This program allows you to enter predefined text or time and date stamps in any program by assigning shortcut or trigger keys. For example I defined a trigger key ".ds" to automatically enter a date stamp. No matter what program I am in, when i type ".ds" the date is entered. I also defined trigger keys for all my email addresses. Here's a link http://www.download.com/SuperKeys/3000-2094_4-10237773.html.

I use another free program on my Treo (Palm OS) called ShortCut5 that functions the same way as SuperKeys. I defined the same trigger keys on my Treo so I only have to remember one set of trigger keys.

Shane

Barry

Registered
The Palm OS usually includes predefined shortcuts for time and date stamps such as:

[shortcut character]ds for date stamp
[shortcut character]ts for time stamp
[shortcut character]dts for date and time stamp

The notepad text editor timestamp function is a good tip. I really like the notepad editor because it is so simple and produces very compact files. A great way to store lists and notes.

Jamie Elis

Registered
Notepad?

What is NOTEPAD?

The older Palm program had a DTS but the one I recently downloaed no longer does. It only worked in edit mode which was a bit cumbersome, but I used it a lot.

Barry

Registered
Jamie Elis;51167 said:
What is NOTEPAD?

The older Palm program had a DTS but the one I recently downloaed no longer does. It only worked in edit mode which was a bit cumbersome, but I used it a lot.

1) Noetpad is the simple text editor that is included with Windows. If you double click on a .txt file on a PC, this is most likely what will open. I think it has been on PCs going way back to the first versions of Windows and maybe before.

2)The Palm OS (when run on a handheld device) allows you to set up custom shortcuts and there should be a way to set up a custom DTS shortcut if it was not predefined.

12hourhalfday

Registered
theorganizedartist;50873 said:
My GTD system is managed mainly through folders and NOTEPAD.
Sometimes I find it necessary to time and date something.
Just found out that hitting F5 in Notepad easily enters a timestamp.

This post also has info on making your notepad file into a log where everytime you open it, it enters a current timestamp at the bottom and moves your cursor down there too.
This simple .LOG tick is revolutionizing my work. Thank you so much! I have placed that at the beginning of all my error log files
Here are the actual steps for anyone who wants them.
1) Open a new Notepad file
2) Write .LOG in uppercase as the first line
3) Hit Enter
4) Save
5) Close
6) Reopen the file and you'll find that Notepad automatically moves the cursor to the bottom of the file and inserts the time and date

Barry

Registered
Microsoft Excel has a timestamp function as well. It is the following key combination:

CTRL+SHIFT+;

It is possible to set up a time log in Excel that will total up your intervals for you based on your timestamps.

Barry

Registered
12hourhalfday;51563 said:
How do you do it?

I assume you have a basic competency with spreadsheets. Open a new spreadsheet and set up the following columns:

Start. This column holds the time stamp for when you start working. Choose a time format like hh:mm AM/PM.

Stop. This column holds the time stamp for when you stop working. Same format as above.

Interval. Enter a formula subtracting Start from Stop. Choose a time format like hh:mm

Total. Beginning on the second line of the table, enter a formula adding the interval on this line to the interval from the line above. Format hh:mm

Now just enter your timestamps as you work and watch your totals grow. Begin a new line each time you start working after a break.

Note: formatting the cells with correct time formats can be tricky and is critical for getting sensible results. If you have trouble, refer to the program’s help module on using time formats.

Good luck.