How do I share my commitments with others?

arunkw

Registered
My GTD system falls under 3 categories (folders)
  1. Commitments made to myself
  2. Commitments made to others
  3. Waiting-for
I want to make category #2 and #3 to be shown/shared/published, but only to those individuals or groups of individuals to whom I am committed and waiting-for. How to achieve this?
Toodledo gives provision to create public list like this list of mine (link), but this list has become dangerous as it is open to all and others can see what are my commitments and preferences against others, how can I have it in a better way?, I don’t want to send emails or manually keep tabs of whom to send which next action etc.

mcogilvie

Registered
I don't think this is a good idea. Why do you want to do it? How do you think it will impact others? How do you think it will impact you?

arunkw

Registered
I agree with you that sharing all the commmitment of all the others to everyone is bad idea. :evil:
But sharing commitments with individual others privately or in group is a good idea. :D We have seen kanban board works well in organizations as they are collobrative boards where people get to write commitments (even for each other)

I think, I can share public url with people I am replying as an email signature. People then can go and see what's my commitment to them and what are things that I am waiting for them.

I have observed with my friends and family that when I share my short list of commitments and waiting for with them on chat messangers, they start to look at me as someone who is reliable and responsibe :rolleyes:

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Ooooo.....good one, TesTeq! Right to the heart. What colleagues, bosses, etc. notice is the fulfillment of commitments.

mcogilvie

Registered
arunkw said:
I agree with you that sharing all the commmitment of all the others to everyone is bad idea. :evil:
But sharing commitments with individual others privately or in group is a good idea. :D We have seen kanban board works well in organizations as they are collobrative boards where people get to write commitments (even for each other)

I think, I can share public url with people I am replying as an email signature. People then can go and see what's my commitment to them and what are things that I am waiting for them.

I have observed with my friends and family that when I share my short list of commitments and waiting for with them on chat messangers, they start to look at me as someone who is reliable and responsibe :rolleyes:

I assume you are communicating with each person concerning mutual commitments, which is great. However, you seem to be saying you want some way to automate this process. Unless you have a very strong established understanding of your relationship, automation is unlikely to work well. Personal contact confirms commitment and builds trust in a way automated systems do not. Furthermore, if some people are able to see your commitments to other people, then this is likely to lead to stress in those relationships: "You have time for this while I'm waiting for that? Are you crazy?" This is, incidentally, why you do discuss your work responsibilities with your supervisor (if you have one): He or she can help you prioritize and, if necessary, take the heat off you.

arunkw

Registered
This is going to go as an incubation project for me.

There are two thing that needs to be clarified on
1st - Conceptual conundrum
2nd - Technical challange.

On conceptual conundrum, I still think that it's a straight forward idea/expectation.

TesTeq, Longstreet - my profile has change drastically from IT to Marketing/Business development and, I have been doing lots of showmanship, if that could be linked with showing commintment and fulfilling it then I become a man of Integity. My intention of showing commitment is just to keep others infromed.
@mcogivie - Thank you - I get your point it's bad idea to make my commitments as a bulletin board for everyone to see, but if I can make one list per individual and share it with them privately that could work. but it would mean lots of work for me in maintaining and updating the lists.
So now this has become a technical challange - on how to achive it by reducing labour.

So Next Action for me - Search if there is already a suitable tool out there or 2. Make one if it's not there.