How do you handle coupons, etc?

TesTeq

Registered
Do not be a coupon slave!

Do not be a coupon slave! The coupon forces you to buy something and makes you feel guilty when you miss the deadline. So put each coupon in the wastebasket immediately after receiving it! :)

hth

Registered
TesTeq;45600 said:
Do not be a coupon slave! The coupon forces you to buy something and makes you feel guilty when you miss the deadline. So put each coupon in the wastebasket immediately after receiving it! :)

I second the recommendation not to be a coupon slave!

But I think its reasonable to store those coupons which might be a benefit. I myself store and use regularly coupons of a hardware store, where I always by my stuff. I buy there because its service is best and not because of the coupons. I store the coupons in a folder named "coupons" until I buy something. If I dont need anything the coupons expire and get thrown away without regret.

Yours
Alexander

P

pageta

The answer to the "coupon slave" argument is to only clip the coupons that you actually intend to use. And if you actually plan to use something, you need to have a plan for how to use it.

If it's a grocery coupon, plan to look through them to see if any match when you go to that store. If it's an oil change coupon, put it in your tickler for around the time that you'll need your next oil change. You can have "maybe" coupons in these categories - your plan is simply that you will review them at a time you might use them.

Take Netflix, for example. We pay a monthly fee to rent two movies, one at a time, every month. We enjoy movies, but we don't see them as often as we would like, so this is our method of making sure we take time to do things we enjoy. When we have a movie in the house, it's on our to-do list or (better yet) scheduled for a specific time (like Friday night). Then I make sure that we watch our two movies every month.

So if you have a coupon for a movie, make plans for when you're going to use it rather than trying to remember you have it when you decide you want to see a movie. Have it on your list of things to do, even if you don't necessarily do them this week. Include the expiration date on your to do list so you can make sure you are aware of when it expires and thus can consciously decide not to use it.

Those would be my suggestions.

Angelique

Registered
Great Coupon Organizer!!

I have found an awesome coupon organizer!!

www.mrsascouponorganizer.com

This organizer is a great addition to my GTD system - and of course to money management as well.

Make it part of your weekly review to flush out expired coupons as well as remind yourself that coupons you have.

Your coupon organizer can either live by wherever your @purchase lists live (ie: by the door, on top of the fridge, etc) or in your vehicle so you don't forget to take it with you when you go shopping.

ohcecilia

Registered
Use a mini photo album for coupons

I only carry coupons for items I usually buy and I store them in a mini photo album (4x6) and carry it in my purse. You can pick these up for a $1. The nice thing about it is you can easily flip through your coupons. If there is a coupon I know I need to use, I'll put the expiration in my calendar with an alarm. Hope that helps! :D