How Get Thru Stack of Read/Review

J

jonp

What do you when you've got a TON of Read/Review?

Do you divide it into-
1) serious
2) fyi
3) junk

Elena

Registered
Hi, My name is Elena and I am a read-aholic. :shock:
This is an area where I really had to cut to the bare bones.
Now it's sorted into:
1. Something that's going to result in a NA. "Serious" I guess you'd call it.
2. Enjoyment
3. Trash (FYIs are sent here, mostly. If I actually have to do something, then it goes back up in 1.

So pretty much like your three piles. :D

S

sablouwho

A few ideas come to mind:

Do as described above--triage your reading pile as if it was your In-Box.

OR, you could sort into some other sort of contexts that make sense for you--"easy" reading for times when that is all you can handle, "quick" reading for times when you have "weird" pocket of free time show up (when you are on hold w/someone on the phone), "bedtime" reading...whatever. I am making up the contexts, modify as you see fit for your life.

But, this is could get to be too much work, where you spend too much time getting ready to read, and not enough time reading. If that is the case, you could be totally non-methodical about it and...gasp... just START reading whatever is on top!

P

pageta

My read/review list got ignored for a while, then got deleted, then was revived and now functions fairly well. The key was finding a time of day when I'm in the mood to read. Once I found that magic time, I love having a list of things I can read which means I can just read instead of having to think about what to read when the time presents itself.

For me, before I go to bed and early thing in the morning work best. My mind isn't highly distracted at those times and can actually absorb information quite well. At other times of the day, I read but am interrupted by my own ideas and thoughts so that it is difficult to get through something. Another great time is when my toddler wants to play outside and I need to supervise him but I don't want to work on any outside projects - I just take my stack and go outside with him and let him play to his heart's content.

So my advice would be to find the times you are most likely to enjoy reading, schedule those times so you make sure they happen, and then just read whatever you can get through in that time period.

T

trishacupra

Easy reading

You can put your light reading/enjoyment in a magazine holder next to your toilet. Multi-tasking to the max. ;)

Wouldn't that be one of the world's original 'life hacks'?

Trisha Cupra

TesTeq

Registered
Not my favourite habit.

trishacupra said:
You can put your light reading/enjoyment in a magazine holder next to your toilet. Multi-tasking to the max. ;)
To tell you the truth I hate the habit of reading in the toilet. It causes the inconvenience of toilet unavailability for other people.

Is it really pleasant to enjoy reading in small, smelly (while you multitask) room.

I prefer getting my toilet things done as fast as possible and enjoy reading in the garden.

ceehjay

Registered
Monday Morning Cheer

TesTeq said:
. . . I prefer getting my toilet things done as fast as possible and enjoy reading in the garden.
I'm almost ready to leave for work, feeling sort of down. Then I read your post, and so help me, I started laughing.

Thanks for brightening my mood.

I have stacks of reading by my bed, by the computer (for those slow task moments), in my car, in my tote bag, in my office. I read while waiting for the train to clear the crossing, waiting at the doctor's office, waiting to get my car tags, at lunch time -- you name it. If there's a spare minute, I'm reading. It's one of life's joys. I have eclectic tastes, so there's always something that interests me just waiting for the next opportunity.

Carolyn

emuelle1

Registered
I have a bad habit of signing up for every free newsletter that I come across on the interenet, plus I have a few periodical subscriptions. Then I buy just about every book I can find at yard sales. I have amassed quite a pile that has to be read. The way I've come to handle my increasing stack of material is to create a task in my !Daily Disciplines category, during the time of day when I first get to work and I'm drinking my coffee and getting my head together. I make myself read from the top of my stack for a minimum of 15 minutes, but preferably 10-20 pages. It's really worked to put a dent. If it's something official that deals with work or something I have to review for home, I create a task and stick it in a folder. I keep my stack of periodicals and newsletters at work, and I take three or four off the top and put them in the bag that I carry to work, so I always have something to read either at work or at home. This had helped. I get one magazine every two weeks, and when I started this a few weeks ago I was backlogged to last October. I'm now up to January.

A

adrktemplar

Even before knowing about GTD, I do leisure reading during commutes. It's a practice of mine since college.

Regarding reading while in the toilet... While I'm not against that, please be advised however that sitting too long in the toilet bowl may cause hemorrhoids. Here are some links:

"Long periods on the toilet reading a newspaper can also increase pressure in the anal veins leading to the ballooning of hemorrhoids." http://www.benbest.com/calories/hemorrh.html

"Sitting on the toilet too long" http://www.people-search-global.com/hemorrhoids/hemorrhoids-causes.htm

"Constipation, bouts of diarrhea, poor bathroom habits (reading on the toilet or multiple cleaning attempts), pregnancy, and fiber-deprived Western diet can all foster the conditions that cause hemorrhoids." http://digestive-disorders.health-cares.net/hemorrhoids-causes.php

"3. Do not spend more time than necessary sifting on the toilet. Avoid reading, as sitting on the toilet straining for too long will lead to hemorrhoidal swelling." http://www.pagiconsultants.com/diseases/hemorrhoids.htm

TesTeq

Registered
One year delay might be better.

emuelle1 said:
I get one magazine every two weeks, and when I started this a few weeks ago I was backlogged to last October. I'm now up to January.
I do not know what kind of magazines you are talking about but in case of magazines that contain advices related to the seasons of the year it might be better to have a full year delay. You could use the previous year Christmas present suggestions.

A

adrktemplar

TesTeq said:
You could use the previous year Christmas present suggestions.
Wow TesTeq! (are you a dude or a dudette, btw?)

I find your posts and tips especially the ones in boldface very practical. I'm a sucker for tips. Where do you get those? From a book or just plain experience?

emuelle1

Registered
It's a news type magazine. Reading about the 2004 election in July of 2005 was only good for historical interest.

TesTeq

Registered
Thank you.

adrktemplar said:
Wow TesTeq! (are you a dude or a dudette, btw?)

I find your posts and tips especially the ones in boldface very practical. I'm a sucker for tips. Where do you get those? From a book or just plain experience?
I am more than happy that you like my tips. Most of the things I'm posting are my spontaneous reactions to other people's posts. So if I wrote something interesting it was the effect of the interaction with other forum members.

To answer your question - I am an adult male human, but ...

Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life" said:
Mrs Moore: Is it a boy or a girl?

First Doctor: Now I think it's a little early to start imposing roles on it, don't you?

ceehjay

Registered
Danny Hardesty said:
adrktemplar said:
"3. Do not spend more time than necessary "sifting" on the toilet."

I know it is an innocent typo but could not resist finding some humor in this humorous thread. "Sifting" on the toilet eh? lol :)
Oh, my, Danny! You have me laughing out loud. I had not noticed the typo.

Carolyn

A

ActionGirl

TesTeq said:
I am more than happy that you like my tips. Most of the things I'm posting are my spontaneous reactions to other people's posts. So if I wrote something interesting it was the effect of the interaction with other forum members.

To answer your question - I am an adult male human, but ...
I love it!
:lol: :lol:

S

sablouwho

Jason Echols said:
So for the electronic venue, would you set up subfolders under @Read and Review?

So long as the stuff for Read/Review is printed matter (rather than something online that needs to be either viewed on a computer screen or printed out) there is no need to make a list, either on paper or in a computer/PDA. The stack of reading material serves as its own natural list, with the original "thing" serving as its own reminder. It's just more efficient that way than making a separate list.

Busydave

Registered
Somewhere on "GTD Fast" DA says that after people see his lists, they will regard him as being incredibly anal.

Is “anal” the GTD Meyers-Briggs type? I’m beginning to wonder after reading this thread!

Dave