How often do you change your GTD software?

John_Hammond

Registered
I was wondering if I am the only one constantly trying out new software for doing my GTD stuff.

I've changed a couple of email clients in the last few years, but my real weakness are the task managers. I've tried a huge number: for PC, for Mac, web-based, for Pocket PC (back then), for Windows Phone, and now for Android. And I still can't find the perfect one.

Anyway, do you have a steady GTD setup, or are you trying constantly new tools?

egallagher2k

Registered
I capture everything either on paper or in my Android. If on paper it goes in my physical inbox for processing during my weekly review. Most things I capture on my Andriod phone. I primarily use the "note to self" feature that sends both the text and audio of anything I send to it to my Gmail inbox for processing. I also capture many things via camera, voice or clipping straight to Evernote. After processing I use Astrid for all of my lists. It is an app on my Andoid HTC EVO and on the web. Between Astrid and Evernote where everything eventually goes during processing, I am confident that I have everything in my system. I work NAs off of Astrid and have all of my reference stuff in Evernote.

Oogiem

Registered
John_Hammond;98140 said:

I only changed when it became obvious that the previous choice was no longer working. I've been on Omnifocus now since January 2009. No ned to change, only tweak my implementation.

TesTeq

Registered
Since 2008.

John_Hammond;98140 said:

I've been using paper and Nokia E71 smartphone for Getting Things Done since 2008.

mcogilvie

Registered
John_Hammond;98140 said:

Neither, really. I know how to implement my preferred set-up in three different tools: Omnifocus, Things and Toodledo. I tried the Things beta for several months and then switched back to Omnifocus recently. It's not that big a deal really. It takes one weekly review to switch.

Barb

Registered
In my experience...

John_Hammond;98140 said:
I was wondering if I am the only one constantly trying out new software for doing my GTD stuff.

I've changed a couple of email clients in the last few years, but my real weakness are the task managers. I've tried a huge number: for PC, for Mac, web-based, for Pocket PC (back then), for Windows Phone, and now for Android. And I still can't find the perfect one.

I've been a GTD-er for around 10 years now. I think in the first year I monkeyed around with my list manager a LOT. I eventually found my way to using David's set up guide for Outlook for years and, ultimately, the GTD Add-in for Outlook. Every now and then I'd get numb to my lists and switch to paper--just for a month or two--then go back to the Outlook Add-in.

About a year ago I switched to Omnifocus on the iPad/iphone as my system, while still using Outlook and a PC. It works great for me, but that doesn't mean it will work great for YOU. I see no reason to change so why keep looking?

Here's what I've learned over the years that may help you:

• There is no such thing as a "perfect system";
  • You can waste a lot of time changing your stuff around;
  • Most people are frustrated with their system because they want to be electronic and they have sync issues;
  • Paper never causes sync issues.

So my advice would be to quit futzing. If you really want to be electronic set up something like Evernote and just use that. There is a website that has a pretty cool setup on it that you might want to check out: thesecretweapon.org. If that's not the exact website, just google it. I don't think they are selling anything, btw.

John_Hammond

Registered
Well, constantly changing everything in my GTD setup was a little bit of an exaggeration. I have a few steady items there:

For email, after trying many alternatives in the beginning, I use Mozilla Thunderbird for maybe 7 years now.

I have my physical inbox/reading material trays.

The "paper" part of my setup is completed with my filing cabinet, which I prune once a year. I use a free form organizer called MyInfo for my digital filing system (mostly interesting articles from the Internet, which I am afraid will be "lost" when they are deleted from the web site, but also research and ideas for future projects).

I will definitely check out the thesecretweapon.org. I already have Evernote on my phone, so I will give it a try. It sounds like some digital version of the Hipster PDA, which I also used in the past.

Vickie

Registered
I love my toys!

John_Hammond;98140 said:

My system for list keeping has stayed pretty consistent. I use Pocket Informant for personal to-dos (Toodledo is the list manager within that tool) and Lotus Notes at work.

When I first started using GTD, I wasn't sure about which tool to use for this so I just used paper. Once I got comfortable with the concepts, I tried Toodledo and Lotus Notes because they were free (Lotus Notes is our system at work) and they kind of stuck. I have been toying with leaving Toodledo but haven't committed to that yet. It's a bit boring and clunky when it comes to project management.

As for my other GTD tools, I do LOVE to experiment. I use Evernote for reference but also use Noterize, iThought (mindmapping), and Penultimate to name a few. Oh and Paperless was something I just started using which is awesome for checklists!

The key is not to have some many things floating out there that you lose track of where you are putting stuff. I still make sure to "herd" all of my stuff towards my primary tools (Toodledo and Lotus Notes for actions and Evernote for reference). The weekly review is great for that. Otherwise, I'll undermine my system but I do enjoy my toys! :) Keeps my system fresh and interesting.

Hope this helps! :D

Suelin23

Registered
I have to admit the first year of GTD implementation I kept changing apps and setups. Then when I finally chose which one and settled into making minor fine tuning, that's when I felt like I was getting things done

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Nirvana for work, Omnifocus for home

I use Nirvana for my work system. It is still in Beta, but it is quite good! I use Omnifocus for my home system.

cfoley

Registered
Not often. I'm pretty happy with Toodledo for my lists. Third party app Ultimate To Do List makes it work nicely on Android too, though often just printing out a list I'll need away from the computer is better.

What I do is change is how I use them. Toodledo makes it easy to make small organic changes so I'm always tweaking slightly. It's fun and keeps me motivated to stay on top of my lists.

AE Thanh

Registered
I think it's quite normal to try out a lot of different software when you first start with GTD (or any productivity method for that matter). After a while, you will find one that you really like and then you will get really good at using it.

I've been through this myself - I've shredded many task managers but ultimately ended up with Omnifocus. I'm going through the process again but now with email clients.

enyonam

Registered
I'm constantly trying out new tools and technologies as I'm a total gadget and technology geek. But I've been using my list manager for 3 or 4 years now (eProductivity on Lotus Notes) and nothing has come close to substituting it. It just works in my system.

I am happy to challenge to system on a regular basis because it helps me feel attracted and comfortable that I've really got the system that works for me. And besides, if I didn't keep challenging it, I probably wouldn't have noticed and tried eProductivity which has actually helped me implement GTD. The "Weekly Review Coach" is still what I use to this day to do my weekly reviews even though I could probably remember the steps without it. I even use the Get Clear portion of the Weekly Review Coach for my daily mini-reviews when I feel like I need that guide.