How to get self-discipline

wbc

Registered
ActionGirl said:
And one more question: did you do all those sessions back to back?

@ ActionGirl:
Some of them were some don't. I also had one time where I had to skip my break between two sessions, because I was so attracted to do more. I have just set the timer for the next 30 minutes... and continued to work.

unstuffed said:
One thing you absolutely must work on is habits/routines. If something is a habit, it gets done without you thinking or worrying about it, so build as many positive habits into your day as you can.

@unstuffed:
I am trying to get my working sessions without distraction as a real habit. I know this will take some time but I have it on my goal list.

tominperu said:
We all have a lack of self-discipline for certain things - it's part of being human.
I prefer the other question often asked on this forum, which has loads of thread and info: "why do I procrastinate?".

@tominperu:
It feels good to hear someone saying this sentence, because I sometimes think that I am the only one which has a lack of self-discipline. A friend of mine who studies law has the self-discipline to get-up at 4.30 am starting to study (little breaks throughout the day) and stops at about 9.30pm. It really sucks if you see people with such strong self-discipline :???: !

I intentionally used the term "self-discipline" and not "procrastination" because I think that self-discipline underlies procrastination and is the point where I have to start to improve myself.

@all:
I did 7 sets of my 30/10-schedule today. It is less today because I had a meeting with my boss. Would you count such time as well? What do you think, should I also count work which is not related to my profession, like doing the taxes.

-wbc

tominperu

Registered
wbc;49951 said:
@ ActionGirl:

I intentionally used the term "self-discipline" and not "procrastination" because I think that self-discipline underlies procrastination and is the point where I have to start to improve myself.

-wbc

I appreciate your point but I'm still not convinced.

Self-discipline is about making yourself do things you know you should do but don't want to do. But, is the problem in the "making yourself do" or more in the "don't want to do"? The problem with the idea of self-discipline is that it will always by definition involve effort, which you could otherwise channel into more important things. It can be better to identify the reason why you don't want to do stuff - as then the issue of discipline becomes less relevant.

Does this make sense or do I sound like I have my head up my a"*#. ? Apologies if the latter

kewms

Registered
Do you really want to spend your life beating yourself over the head?

Self-discipline implies exactly that: the stern super-ego forcing the reluctant self to keep shoulder to wheel and nose to grindstone.

It can certainly work, and sometimes the only way to get through unpleasant tasks is to "gut it out," but it's not a long term solution.

I'm with tominperu. It's a whole lot easier to find stuff that you do want to do than it is to force yourself to do work that you dislike. Especially if it's knowledge work, which by definition requires mental engagement.

Katherine

wbc

Registered
kewms said:
Do you really want to spend your life beating yourself over the head?
Self-discipline implies exactly that: the stern super-ego forcing the reluctant self to keep shoulder to wheel and nose to grindstone.
I'm with tominperu. It's a whole lot easier to find stuff that you do want to do than it is to force yourself to do work that you dislike. Especially if it's knowledge work, which by definition requires mental engagement.
@kewms:
Well I certainly do not want to beat myself the whole time and I really like to do the things I do. But for me it is sometimes hard to start or to keep up working because I get distracted very easily.
That's why I have to force myself to do the work I like and I think self-discipline is a very good characteristic to have.

@ all:
10 sets today :)

But the book I ordered could not be deliverd :( hmm maybe I will start reading
"The Now Habit" first...

-wbc

wbc

Registered
Hello everybody!

I just wanted to give an update to my situation...

First of all I have found a way to motivate myself doing work, even if I like to do something else. The thing I am talking about is my little timer which gives me kind of structure to my working hours. As I have mentioned in the previous posts
I am doing 30/10 mintues work/sth. else sessions and I am amazed how much work one can do in only 30 minutes. Another good thing about 30 minute sessions is that you can fit sessions in small timeslots.

The next thing that helps me doing the work I am supposed to do is that my last
work session is thinking about the next actions/things I want to do or think about the next day. Just a simple task list without contexts because there are no more than 25 items on it.

The third thing helping me improving my self-discipline is the :) / :( -list to analyze where I have discipline and why, and why I have no discipline on other tasks.

The only thing I need now is the self-discipline to continue this to get it as a habit...

-wbc