Incremental start of GTD

12hourhalfday

Registered
Tom Shannon;56191 said:
I noticed that the OP posted in this thread late last month so she/he is certainly aware of it. Apparently he/she is still looking for a good shortcut.

Tom S.

Totally right, I really ought to read the entire post. :)
The thing is, their is no shortcut. Projects and Next actions are the key to the system, you can't pick one list over the other.

Tom Shannon

Registered
12hourhalfday;56193 said:
Totally right, I really ought to read the entire post. :)
The thing is, their is no shortcut. Projects and Next actions are the key to the system, you can't pick one list over the other.

Could not agree more. If I remember right the book says as much and having followed the instructions step by step there, I'd say that its well worth the time. If you can't commit a Saturday to this, you probably aren't committed enough to it anyway. Very, very few people are *that* busy.

Cheers,
Tom S.

wbc

Registered
Hi everybody,

wow the 3rd page of the thread already.. thank you for your replies so far.

Tom you wrote:
Tom Shannon;56191 said:
I noticed that the OP posted in this thread late last month so she/he is certainly aware of it. Apparently he/she is still looking for a good shortcut.
Tom S.
What does OP means? Original poster? And yes I am aware of the mentioned
thread because I posted in it. But I don't really look for a good shortcut because I am aware that there *is* no good shortcut. I am hopping on and
of the GTD wagon every now and then and I am now looking for a way to stay
on the wagon forever.

I thought that implementing GTD in a more incremental or organic way would
probably help me to stay on top of it. And as I listened to the mentioned audio
file I thought that I understood the meaning of project list the wrong way.

I reread parts of the book the last days and I have come up with the
following:

The "runway system" consists of the calendar, next actions lists and the waiting for list. The someday/maybe list is optional but can add value to the
system. The runway system has to be the first thing in place in order to work
the GTD way.

The "10 000ft system" consists of the project list and project plans for more
complex projects. This is the second step in implementing GTD in a incremental
way. But the GTD system is incomplete without the project list and therefore
most people set up a project list at the same time they start using context
list.

First steps to set up GTD in an incremental way are:
  1. set up calendar
  2. set up and lable next action lists with previously defined contexts
  3. set up waiting for list
  4. set up project list

If I am right so far are these the essential tools/lists to start. After having all
the lists you can process what comes in the "inboxes of life". Processing
means to clarify if something is a project (on project list) or a single action
(2 min rule or on one of the next action lists).

Next steps to set up GTD workflow:
  1. process all current items in the inbox
  2. put projects for cleaning up backlog on project list

And with these steps and a weekly review I should have a working version of
a GTD system - right?

The problem I had with the last implementations I made was that I did a
mindsweep first collected all in IN processed all stuff had projects and NAs
on my lists worked with them and stopped looking at them. So now I wanted
to start small and let the system grow over time.

And I have to say rereading the book is very helpful. I appreciate if you post
comments or additional thoughts which might be helpful to me - and others.

Cheers
Wolfgang

abhay

Registered
Action lists and project lists are not different steps!

I think I would still say this: action lists and project lists and other things are not different sequential steps. As you process your stuff, for each item you will have to make a choice as to whether it is a project or just a standalone action or a reference or so on. You cannot *first* make one list and *then* make another. All the lists will grow depending upon what "stuff" you have.

In the same spirit, I will not say that there are different systems for "runway" and "10,000 feet", etc., it's one single consistent system that manages reminders for you at all levels.

Starting up in one shot (a day or two) is always better. But if you still decide you want an incremental start, process your current stuff incrementally, and let the stuff decide what it is! And stuff is anything that your mind has, not just the things that are currently hot.

Truly speaking, I agree with scott.stephen: "I guess there is one more thing that could be “incremental” about GTD, and that is the evolution from simply implementing the system, understanding the system, putting together “your” system, and mastering your system."

Abhay

V

VictoriaPark

When I was first starting on GTD I wanted to try and ease into it, the same as the poster here seems to. In fact I think I did do a couple of "baby steps" such as trying to get in to the collection habit and tracking actions a bit better.

But - I decided to take a leap of faith and trust David when he said that you have to do the two day "big bang" launch and throw yourself into it. And I found that he was 100% right, and that I felt immeasurably more in control of my life after doing it.

I now find myself in a position where I fell off the GTD bandwagon for a while. I still worked constantly with Next Action lists, but my collection got ropey (especially on non-work items) and reviews weren't happening. I've since got most of the habits back in working order, but I'm acutely aware that actually, I need to do a re-launch in exactly the same fashion as the first one. I'm just conflicted about whether to hold off on doing it until after my current planned house move...

Baylo

Registered
abhay;56216 said:
I think I would still say this: action lists and project lists and other things are not different sequential steps. As you process your stuff, for each item you will have to make a choice as to whether it is a project or just a standalone action or a reference or so on. You cannot *first* make one list and *then* make another. All the lists will grow depending upon what "stuff" you have.

Abhay

I completely agree with this. I tried to implement GTD incrementally and it just didn't work for me. Here's why:

* A project list without the associated next action is nothing but a list of dreams that won't happen. (Or if they do, it won't be because the list helped in any real way, but because it was on your mind anyway)

* A next action is related to a project anyway (though the project may be so small there's only the one action required). If there is no real project, ie a goal to accomplish, then why are you doing the action in the first place?

What I realized fairly quickly was that as I worked through my 'stuff' everything fell onto the NA and Projects lists quite easily. It was actually much more efficient to do them both together, and clarified my thinking in the process. For example, it became obvious which 'to do's were the real 'next actions' that I should do, and which were simply additional future steps to add to the project plan. I have no doubt that I would have gained no benefit by only doing one list.

Mark

Tom Shannon

Registered
wbc;56203 said:
What does OP means? Original poster?

Yes.
wbc;56203 said:
I thought that implementing GTD in a more incremental or organic way would
probably help me to stay on top of it.

I'm sorry but I don't think that it does.

The problem I had with the last implementations I made was that I did a
mindsweep first collected all in IN processed all stuff had projects and NAs
on my lists worked with them and stopped looking at them. So now I wanted
to start small and let the system grow over time.

And I have to say rereading the book is very helpful. I appreciate if you post
comments or additional thoughts which might be helpful to me - and others.

In terms of implementing, I can only tell you that I closed my office door, tore up a bunch of paper and did it exactly as described in chapters 4-10 in the book. Paying particullar attention to the section entitled "Setting Aside Time" in chapter 4. :)

Having said that, many people here describe situations like yours described above. Most people describe it as being "overwhelmed" but "stopped looking at them" is ultimately the effect.

Different people handle this problem differently. My own answer was to make sure that things on my lists weren't just the ones that were possible but were actually things I might do. These are not the same. There are many possibilities but if I absolutely know there's now way I'm going to get to it anytime soon, I don't want it in front of me.

Many of these items end up as ticklers and some day/maybes. Often this means really being brutal about trimming my lists. I try to decide what's most immediate and important fairly well in advance (at least a week) and get the rest out of sight until they move up the ladder. I fidn that if I do this, I can keep my lists under control and continue to work with them instead of dreading them because I've got so darned much on there to do.

Hope that helps,

Tom S.

wbc

Registered
Hi there!

Last weekend I had some time to reflect my thoughts about GTD and how to
ideally implement it in my life. First of all I think I know see why implementing
it as a big bang implementation is the best way to do it.

Tom Shannon;56242 said:
In terms of implementing, I can only tell you that I closed my office door, tore up a bunch of paper and did it exactly as described in chapters 4-10 in the book. Paying particullar attention to the section entitled "Setting Aside Time" in chapter 4. :)

Tom you are absolutely right, I have to set aside some time to start the GTD
process. I will start my "GTD 2008 system" at the end of this week because
I have Friday off and no other commitments :)

I have reread several chapters of the book, as I already mentioned, and I
think it is very useful to have the lists prior to the collection/processing
phase. I analyzed my work and defined my main contexts in order to prepare
my lists.

Do you know any pitfalls I might have to deal with while implementing my
system?

Cheers,
Wolfgang

Brent

Registered
There are as many potential pitfalls as there are people. :)

Just do your best. We'll be here to help you with any problems you encounter.

Karina

Registered
Tom Shannon;56242 said:
Different people handle this problem differently. My own answer was to make sure that things on my lists weren't just the ones that were possible but were actually things I might do. These are not the same. There are many possibilities but if I absolutely know there's now way I'm going to get to it anytime soon, I don't want it in front of me.

Tom,

This paragraph really resonated with me, and with what I've been struggling with recently. My question is, where do you put those NAs that you decide you don't want in front of you because you know you won't get to them anytime soon?

Do they just stay in your someday/maybe list? To me, the fear with this would be that things that were important (but not important right away) would get lost in with things that were much more optional.

Or, do you have a separate list/context for this type of task, so they're still easily accessible if you want them, and when you update your NA lists it's easy to look at those more important tasks in isolation from the someday/maybe and decide which ones to add to your main context lists? This sounds somewhat appealing to me, but I worry that it might be too easy to get in the habit of just overlooking NAs on this list - basically having it end up a place where NAs go to die, or stay until they become too urgent to ignore.

I'm very interested to hear how you manage this!

Karina

jrandall39

Registered
One List, No Differentiation

Karina;56282 said:
Do they just stay in your someday/maybe list? To me, the fear with this would be that things that were important (but not important right away) would get lost in with things that were much more optional.

Karina,

FWIW, I'll weigh in and say that I too do what Tom does. I put on my Someday/Maybe list things that I can't commit to doing right now but are none the less important. I don't flag them in any way yet I have no trouble distinguishing them from other things that are nice but not essential.

- Jon

ScottL

Registered
jrandall39;56284 said:
Karina,

FWIW, I'll weigh in and say that I too do what Tom does. I put on my Someday/Maybe list things that I can't commit to doing right now but are none the less important. I don't flag them in any way yet I have no trouble distinguishing them from other things that are nice but not essential.

- Jon

I do this do, but I separate

@someday: things that I can't commit to doing right now but are none the less important.

from

@ maybe: things that are nice but not essential

jesig

Registered
Someday and Maybe!

ScottL, I think you may have just solved a huge problem I've been having with my someday/maybe lists. Wow. Very simple and very powerful.

Tom Shannon

Registered
ScottL;56289 said:
I do this do, but I separate

@someday: things that I can't commit to doing right now but are none the less important.

from

@ maybe: things that are nice but not essential

This is a really good idea.

To answer Karina, I usually put things that I might or might not do on the Someday/Maybe list. I put things which I know I'm going to do in as a tickler to be addressed at a later date. The danger of doing the latter is that you end up just pushing things back and back and back as they pop up. Its a trap unless you actually at some point say, "OK, I've pushed this back three times. Am I going to do it or not?"

I think keeping a Someday list which is reviewed every week instead of keeping such things in ticklers is a good solution as well. I'll consider it.

Tom S