label maker settings

hoovarmin

Registered
I just bought the Brother P-touch 1280 for setting up a filing system. It has a preset for file folders, but the length of the label is too long and hangs off the edge. When I manually reduce the length it forces the text over. Is there a setting anyone can recommend so that I can just print these things, hit the cutter and be done with it instead of having to go get a pair of scissors and trim each label?

Thanks

R

ReBuild

Have the PT-1750 and have the same issue. In my view its an issue relating to the placement of the cutter ... you just end up with a tail that needs to be cut off.

The only alternative (I've found), is to change the file folders ... buy ones with large tabs. 1/3 tab is what I use and it takes the label as long as the font is set up for the smallest size and I don't write a long description.

P

plapointe

try turning off the preset for file folders

I have a Brother PT-80 and I solved this problem by NOT using the preset file label setting. I just use the regular setting and know that my file folder name can't be TOO long. There is still excess on either side of the wording, but not too much to fit on my file folders.

Good luck with this.
Pamela

hoovarmin

Registered
re lable maker settings

Thanks, Rebuild and Plapointe. I'm sorry that I spent the money on this model. It doesn't seem as if what we'd like it to do is some bizarre and esoteric wish. I would think that making file folder labels is probably the most common use of a label maker. I'd like to donate this one to my kids and find one that does the job without requiring me to trim the labels. Any recommendations for a model that can handle that?

R

ReBuild

An alternative printer is the DYMO Label Writer range of PC/MAC printers. The newer models, specifically the Twin Turbo and Duo are dual label printers (i.e. you can have two different size labels in the machine).

With the right size of label (there pre cut on a roll), you would over come the tail issue. Plus you get all the benefits of using a PC/MAC for label printing.

Not the cheapest option. However, it does have a lot of advantages beyond file labeling ... holiday address labels are just one, postage stamp (new models only).

As to donating your brother to the kids great idea ... my kids love printing out "labels". Also look too a school or other charity organization as the donation should provide a tax deduction which will help off set it's cost.

C

CarolC

A solution to long labels that works for me: I purchased straight cut file folders (both legal & letter). The tab runs the entire width of the folder!

This allows me to be very descriptive as to the contents of the folder.

Carol

gretajean

Registered
My P-Touch has a setting called "H2" which I use for file folder labels. That size is readable and lets me put enough info on the label for identification.

For my pending NAs, the labels would usually be too long, so I have numbered folders and I keep a table in Word listing what they are. The table is sortable by client matter so I can see what I've got in any file. I reuse the folders as they become empty. I've got around 300 of those right now.

I use bright colored folders for the numbered ones, to set them apart from the filing that goes into the actual client files.

fokke.kooistra

Registered
hoovarmin said:
hit the cutter and be done with it instead of having to go get a pair of scissors and trim each label?

Hi,

I solved this by setting the margin setting to small. I then fold the label around the corner of my file folder. This gives a nice look in my drawer.

Fk

warren_t

Registered
The extra large margin is a certainly a let down on the brother label makers. I had a bottom of the line Dymo hand held labeller and thought I would "upgrade" to the Brother P-Touch 1100. (How vain of me, I thought if the David had a brother then so should I....:)). The Dymo didn't have this issue at all and produced all my labels at exactly the right length.

I think the next machine I'll get will be a Dymo. My hand held has been retired to home-use and is still going strong. If the Brother's get this feature fixed, then maybe I'll consider them again. Come to think of it, maybe it's worth e-mailing Brother about this as a design suggestion. It can't hurt to ask!

Regards
Warren

Fireproof

Registered
It's funny I came across this thread. I just bought a P-Touch 1280 and was racking my brain trying to figure out why the File Tab Preset was too long.

Oh well. I'm using an auto setting with thin margins and it's working pretty well so far. Still - it is kind of disappointing. Especially since I bought the "3 tab" set of folders instead of the 5-tab set, thinking the tabs would be long enough so that label length wouldn't be an issue.

Other than this, I like the label maker!

Samantha11526

Registered
Brother P Touch 1280 problem

Hello,

I just got a Brother P-touch 1280 label maker. I see that some of you have had this and I wanted to know if this ever happened to you or if you know what to do about this.

I tried to print out a label. I typed the message and then pressed print. It worked fine. Then I did this again later but the tape wasn't coming out. I pulled the tape a little bit and I saw that the message I was trying to write was printed on the wrong side of the tape. In other words, the white side of the tape was blank, while the transparent, plastic film had the message printed on it. What could the problem be? Please think about it if you had ever had this problem, and any help at all would be so so greatly appreciated. Please help.

Thanks.

rsailer

Registered
Label Length

My label maker (Brother 2300) has a place to set the length of the label. I press the code key then the button called length and I can fix the length to whatever I want. I use 3 inches and that fits nicely on 1/3 cut tabs.

I then use auto sizing for the font so whatever I type is automatically sized to fit on a three inch label (I am careful not to make it too long or the lettering gets small).

I set the margin to none, align the text to center and this leaves me with nicely sized labels. Don't know about these features on other machines mentioned.

Half inch black text on white labels (TZ-231) are my standard.

I tried some of the avery file folder labels that work with another brother machine and the print isn't as good and they don't stick quite as well...

Randy

gretajean

Registered
Half inch letters, on file folder labels? That's pretty big. I don't need to be able to read them at 50 paces! ;)

I have had some rolls of tape separate like that. I would try cutting off the separated part and re-feeding it. If it doesn't work, it's just a bad roll of film.

Greta

ommoran

Registered
Happy with mine.

Fireproof;43685 said:
It's funny I came across this thread. I just bought a P-Touch 1280 and was racking my brain trying to figure out why the File Tab Preset was too long.

Oh well. I'm using an auto setting with thin margins and it's working pretty well so far. Still - it is kind of disappointing. Especially since I bought the "3 tab"

I have been using the P-Touch 1280 (2 actually - one at home and one at work) for about 4 years. I've never even *noticed* the file tab setting. I've just been turning it on, putting in a name for the file (Pay Stubs - 2008, AMVIR Info, Employee Benefits and Lease Renewal all come to mind for an idea on length) and hitting print. Never farted around with the File Tab option, but I just looked online at the manual. It seems that the length for file tabs is 3.2", automatically. I just print out whatever length the label is based on the text I've printed out. So, they will vary in length, and I very rarely have to trim them.