Laziness, meetings and doing pleasant stuff

Malahov

Registered
My lists contain action items that are split into contexts: @Call, @Computer, @Office, @Waiting. I'm not moving to my goals as fast as I could and there're different reasons to that:

1. I'm lazy. Sometimes not motivated. I'd prefer take part in meetings or forums than making calls from my action lists.

2. I accept different meetings because I'm in sales. Any meeting could lead to a potential business. Plus there're meetings with suppliers, usually follow ups or forecast discussions. It means my day is full with meetings leaving no space for doing actions from my action lists.

3. When I have a spare minute (or even hour), first thing I go to check forums or do something I like, not actions from my action lists.

Do you have tips on how to become more active (less lazy), have time for doing daily actions from my action lists when all the time goes to customer meetings and how to make yourself actually do actions on your action lists?

TesTeq

Registered
Why?

Malahov;86324 said:
Do you have tips on how to become more active (less lazy), have time for doing daily actions from my action lists when all the time goes to customer meetings and how to make yourself actually do actions on your action lists?

Why?

Do you really want to be more active? Being lazy and cultivating your laziness is easy and comfortable.

Why bother?

Malahov

Registered
Because I want to get my goals, not the goals of other people who take my time. That's why I want to have time for my action lists and be more active to actually do something when the time comes.

TesTeq

Registered
Are these goals really so important?

Malahov;86344 said:
Because I want to get my goals, not the goals of other people who take my time. That's why I want to have time for my action lists and be more active to actually do something when the time comes.

Are these goals really so important? Are they really yours?

You wrote:
When I have a spare minute (or even hour), first thing I go to check forums or do something I like, not actions from my action lists.

This quote makes me think that maybe actions on your lists are not connected with your real goals...

L

lorenzoaguilar28

SELF DISCIPLINE AND SELF CONTROL! Often people who are called lazy aren't. Often so-called "lazy" people only feel overwhelmed when presented a task that seems more fit for a big team than just one person. Sometimes, however, it is chronic laziness that kicks in and stops us from doing the things that need to be done.
this may help: http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-Laziness

Oogiem

Registered
Just say no

Malahov;86344 said:
Because I want to get my goals, not the goals of other people who take my time.

Then you have to tell the other people that those goals are not yours and stop doing the tasks that come from those goals.

vkochetta

Registered
Malahov;86324 said:
3. When I have a spare minute (or even hour), first thing I go to check forums or do something I like, not actions from my action lists.

I'm just beginning with GTD methodology... but here are some quick thoughts you might want to consider:

1. Eat your green beans or you get no dessert. Save the forum checking and fun stuff as a reward for knocking out X number of Next Actions.

2. Sales meetings are important, but schedule some appointments with yourself to do your tasks.

3. I read somewhere of a method to deal with some procrastination: (10+2)x5 ... work hard and dedicated on a task for 10 solid minutes and take a 2 minute break doing something fun. Do this 5 times and an hour has passed with 50 minutes of work.

Not real profound... but these things might help

--- Vinny

pxt

Registered
vkochetta;86373 said:
I'm just beginning with GTD methodology... but here are some quick thoughts you might want to consider:

1. Eat your green beans or you get no dessert. Save the forum checking and fun stuff as a reward for knocking out X number of Next Actions.

2. Sales meetings are important, but schedule some appointments with yourself to do your tasks.

3. I read somewhere of a method to deal with some procrastination: (10+2)x5 ... work hard and dedicated on a task for 10 solid minutes and take a 2 minute break doing something fun. Do this 5 times and an hour has passed with 50 minutes of work.

Not real profound... but these things might help

--- Vinny

Re 3., I think a lot of those formulas are based on The Pomodoro Technique, which can be read for free at: http://www.scribd.com/doc/36672142/The-Pomodoro-Technique.

Nordlicht

Registered
@Malahov I'm very similar to you

You pretty much described my behavior.

I have a good list but I tend to avoid it. It's somehow dreadful.

Not really sure what to do ...

Roger

Registered
It's something I've wrestled with, and continue to do so.

Personally I find the most helpful thing for me is to work on the outcome visioning part of whatever it is I'm putting off. Thinking about how wonderful my life will be once I finish doing that thing makes it a lot easier to get started, at least for me.

Cheers,
Roger

TesTeq

Registered
I can focus on the task much longer than 10 minutes.

pxt;86380 said:
Do you like it / use it ?

No. I can focus on the task much longer than 10 minutes. I mentioned it because I've read about Procrastination hack before I've heard about Pomodoro.

delittlehales

Registered
pxt;86380 said:
Do you like it / use it ?

I've been using this technique for several years now and have found it quite helpful in focusing my time and attention. Only I use the "standard" time intervals of 25/5 for four rotations. Like GTD, there is many layers of the technique if you explore it further. Note I do not use it all the time since it can be a little too over-regimating.

pxt

Registered
delittlehales;86414 said:
I've been using this technique for several years now and have found it quite helpful in focusing my time and attention. Only I use the "standard" time intervals of 25/5 for four rotations. Like GTD, there is many layers of the technique if you explore it further. Note I do not use it all the time since it can be a little too over-regimating.

Oh good. I read about The Pomodoro Technique on these forums and then read the full document. I too only do four rotations of 25/5, but then rather than taking the longer break, I insert a timetabled activity from my "guilt-free play" list.

I got this latter part from another technique mentioned on these forums, The Now Habit, by Neil Fiore, which addresses the root causes of procrastination. I don't have a problem with procrastination but was looking for a way to shape my day.

ArcCaster

Registered
pxt;86417 said:
Oh good. I read about The Pomodoro Technique on these forums and then read the full document. I too only do four rotations of 25/5

I tried the 10/2 -- found out that simply knowing I was going to stop after ten allowed me to go to a joyful full-out sprint mode -- and also found out that if the task was not finished, I often continued well after the ten-minute buzzer.

Why four rotations of 25/5? Is it better than 10/2? That still only comes out to two hours -- so do you repeat these rotations?

Thanks,
Rob

pxt

Registered
ArcCaster;86582 said:
I tried the 10/2 -- found out that simply knowing I was going to stop after ten allowed me to go to a joyful full-out sprint mode -- and also found out that if the task was not finished, I often continued well after the ten-minute buzzer.

Why four rotations of 25/5? Is it better than 10/2? That still only comes out to two hours -- so do you repeat these rotations?

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob,

The pomodoro document itself reads like a research project write-up and they came upon the 25/5 formula by observing people. At the end of the four pomodoro cycle, they then take a 15-30 minute break, before starting a new 25/5 cycle.

So when some people, such as Merlin Mann, change the formula they often represent the formula like 25/5/15 - meaning four lots of 25/5, then a 15 minute break.

The technique has a lot of other elements such as a day plan and a visualisation at the end of the day of the day's productivity, so it's a bit like production line optimisation applied to the knowledge worker. They talk about how many pomodoros are optimum on a given task, before it becomes better to break it down.

GTD neatly provides all the content (tasks/projects) that the technique does not cover.
I use The Pomodoro Technique for days when I have total control over my time and want to slice it up into optimum chunks of effort. It also helps me know when to stop and be satisfied.

Suelin23

Registered
pxt;86619 said:
GTD neatly provides all the content (tasks/projects) that the technique does not cover.
I use The Pomodoro Technique for days when I have total control over my time and want to slice it up into optimum chunks of effort. It also helps me know when to stop and be satisfied.

I downloaded the book and had a quick read. It looks good, I'm planning to give it a try as I often get tired and bored if I don't have meetings to break up the day. Do you also do the pomodoro tracking and estimation or just use the timer?

Barb

Registered
My 2 cents

I'm not way into the Pomodoro technique, but I do have a cute little timer that looks like a tomato near (not on) my desk. On days when I'm having trouble focusing or sticking with a boring project, I pull out that timer and do a few Pomodoros. At least I make some progress that way.

I've read the entire Pomodoro book, but all of the estimating and planning is just way more than I feel I need to be productive. But I'm glad to have my happy little timer as one tool in the toolbox. There's something about hearing that ticking noise that really helps me focus. Quiet, electronic timers did not work for me at all. Go figure. :)