Limit Next Actions?

TesTeq

Registered
Bad planning or bad execution!

artsinaction;100376 said:
"I'll start on this pile for 15 minutes, then I can stop." And usually I'd get in 30-45 minutes before my brain went numb again.

If I decide to do something for 15 minutes I would feel guilty doing it for 30 or 45 minutes. It would mean bad planning or bad execution!

cwoodgold

Registered
TesTeq;100389 said:
If I decide to do something for 15 minutes I would feel guilty doing it for 30 or 45 minutes. It would mean bad planning or bad execution!

I'm not criticizing you, TesTeq, but I'm with artsinaction on this one. If I say "Then I can stop", it doesn't mean I have to stop.

Sometimes I've decided I'll do something for between 5 and 20 minutes. That way I can stop when I happen to check my watch at a natural break point, not get interrupted by a timer. Other times it's more like "at least 5 minutes" ... and if I really get into it I might continue for hours.

Anyway, TesTeq ... you don't usually set yourself prison sentences?

I see your point that a length of time doesn't tend to be very motivating. However, it
has other advantages, including that it's easy to predict how long it will take! (er, unless you keep going afterwards ...)

(ending this post before I paint myself further into a corner ...)

TesTeq

Registered
Do-nothing-while-waiting.

cwoodgold;100396 said:
I'm not criticizing you, TesTeq, but I'm with artsinaction on this one.

I am not trying to say that my way of thinking is right. I just feel it this way.

My only time-based activities are "do-nothing-while-waiting". For example: 5 minutes staring at the pictures in the meeting room before meeting or 30 minutes listening to birds singing outdoors before a lunch.

SiobhanBR

Registered
We all need a little more "Do-Nothing-While-Waiting"

I like this scene. Too many people are always trying to fit work into every little block of time. Just sitting and being with yourself, listening, is becoming a lost art!

The benefit of GTD is that you know exactly what it is you aren't doing while waiting - and that it's ok to not be doing it!

Fritz58

Registered
Testeq, great analogy! Thanks for sharing! Does it mean you don't use discretionary time and schedule work time?

TesTeq

Registered
Meaningful result.

Fritz58;100441 said:
Testeq, great analogy! Thanks for sharing! Does it mean you don't use discretionary time and schedule work time?

Thank you.

For example if I am writing a blog post I know that 1 hour is needed for a meaningful result. What is a meaningful result? Sometimes rough draft, sometimes draft, sometimes a polished version ready to be published. I start with a goal to have a final version but I know that after one hour I will need a refreshing break because the inspiration and creative abilities vanish. After several hours I can continue - sometimes the blog post requires small edits only, sometimes it must be rewritten and rarely everything is deleted because I find out that there's nothing interesting that I can say about the chosen subject.