Looking for a visual GTD option

Mischka

Registered
Hi all,

Have any of you ever felt like you needed to just see the whole picture of all your projects in one place, with all their next actions, dependencies, etc? That's where I am right now.

Just like many of you, I have a number of projects that are ongoing and are intertwined with other projects. I currently use ToDoMatrix on my BlackBerry for grinding out tasks, but I need something more visual and intuitive for planning and high-level reviews.

I feel like I need a giant flow chart that lists all my projects, my plans for them, their interdependencies, etc. I don't know how else to explain this, but I'm a very visual and tactile person. I need to see how things flow together and physically moving things around seems to help as well.

That said, does anyone have any experience with what I'm talking about? I don't know if I explained it well. I tried searching for something like this, but nothing viable came up. If you need me to clarify what I'm trying to say, let me know and I'll try to do so.

Thanks!

Barb

Registered
I have a similar need from time to time and, when I do, I plot everything out on a Mindmap (I use MindManager). It also works for me if I'm having a period where I'm numb to my lists.

I'm having a period of numbness this week and decided to use paper for my next actions lists for a couple of weeks. I've been cranking through old next actions like a maniac! I don't think HOW you do it is the magic, but I think it's great to try something new and different if you aren't where you want to be productivity wise. Maybe it's just a fresh perspective!

Mischka

Registered
Thanks Barb!

Wow, MindManager is serious business. I'm going to give it a try, but it's got a pretty steep price tag attached to it. I'm just wondering, but has anyone used index cards to do this?

Barb

Registered
You can always trying drawing out a Mindmap. That's how I started. But I must say, I'm REALLY thoughtful before I buy any software. I make sure I love it first.

I started with a free trial of MindManager and was just blown away. If I had to wipe my computer clean and start all over with new software, I'd buy it right after MS Office. It's a fabulous program.

Barb

Registered
Great! I'll be interested to know what you think of it.

By the way, I'm not connected with MindJet...just a rabid user

GTDWorks

Registered
When I grow numb to my ists, I put my Projects and NA's back into my GTD Coordinator. Seeing my Projcts on paper, and all my NA's just a tab or two away clears my perspective and I start whipping through my lists again.

I keep my 20,00-50,000 ft. stuff in Mindmanager. Just moved these from Outlook Notes and I'm enjoying see it all in mindmaps.

Because of the sheer number of appointments, reoccurring events, and all-day items on my calendar, I'm finding it particularly challenging keeping my schedule on paper. Hard to beat digital scheduling for addressing these issues particular to my world.

roakleyca

Registered
PersonalBrain is another option for an (almost) "total GTD system". The beauty of this software as compared to other mindmapping software is there is no end to the linkages. One mindmap to rule them all..........

This will allow you to link all your actions to your projects to all your other horizons of focus.

But, as DA says....if you're doing a weekly review weekly, you really don't need to link anything to anything else. And I believe that.

aavanderbilt

Registered
FYI: David is doing a free Webinar on GTD and PersonalBrain:

Awesome, I'm definitely going to be in on that one.

I use FreeMind occasionally for mindmaps for gtd or other personal use. I've no idea how it compares with the other products, but it's freeware. Does me fine used about once a month or less.

I've tried a lot of mind mapping software, and FreeMind compares very well. It's one of the most capable packages out there right now.

Tspall

Registered
I've used FreeMind for my mindmapping needs and I've also had some great success with it. I use it to map out my overall plans to see how things fit together in my life. You could easily adapt it to your GTD needs by using it to map out your actions and how they fit together into your projects.

natedowg

Registered
mishca,

this may help. A low tech approach. 3*5 or 5*8 note cards, and a big cork board, or magnetic whiteboard, and a "sharpie" marker. Get the cards in different colors, Each project is a different color. There easily placed, moved around, replaced, intertwined, etc

Cheap, Tactile, fast, and visual.

Nate

tjisolutions

Registered
Mischka;66785 said:
Thanks Barb!

Wow, MindManager is serious business. I'm going to give it a try, but it's got a pretty steep price tag attached to it. I'm just wondering, but has anyone used index cards to do this?

two word for you

x mind

a free mindmap software that is wonderful

www.xmind.net I think

swashbuckler

Registered
I too was lookin for a visual approach to GTD. I've tried a bunch of them, but the one I found to be 'true' to my intepretation of GTD was Thinking Rock.

http://www.trgtd.com.au/

As the landing page you literally have the GTD workflow where you click on a bucket e.g. Collect, Process, Action.

It maybe a little to strict for some people but it's definitely worth a try

katy

Registered
Mischka, if you're still looking for this, you might wanna give a try to TaskWriter. The 'bird-eye view' mode might be close to what you need. Have a look at the screenshot or give it a try for real.

update:
I have to admit that sometimes, as a member of the TaskWriter team, I might just get too enthusiastic about it :). I'd love to hear how you find it.

boxes.png

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Hi Katy (and all reading)

Fine to use the GTD Public Forums to share with our members about your product in the way you have been. Please just let folks know you work for TaskWriter so they know your intent in sharing. We do feel that our Forum Members are a smart group who like to make informed choices and I don't want anyone to feel like you're giving them an unbiased product tip as an enthusiastic customer.

Thanks,

Kelly & the DavidCo Team

katy

Registered
Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the notice. I surely understand your point. I have updated my previous post to state that I am a member of the TaskWriter team, I've have added TaskWriter to my profile and I've update my signature.