Looking for GTD Project Planning Software

matador4925

Registered
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a new GTD Project Planning platform that meets the following criteria:

1. Should have Gantt Chart view in project planning mode.
2. Should have GTD contexts view.
3. Should have the ability to allocate resources.
4. Should have sharing/collaboration features.
5. Should be able to handle multi-level task dependencies in project planning mode.
6. Should have iPhone mobile app.
7. Should have timer function for start and stop of each task (Optional, but would be awesome).

Thank you for your time!

Folke

Registered
Not easy to find or even imagine what a GTD project planning tool would look like. They are a bit of each other's opposites. Project planning is typically date based, whereas GTD is based on dynamic, situational decisons about what you will do now.

But if all you are looking for in terms the GTD part is contexts, then I guess almost any apps that has a "tags" feature of some sort will do. One example is Wrike, which lets you organize your contexts hierarchically. It also has Gantt charts, sharing and probably most of your other requirements.

matador4925

Registered
Thank you Folke...this worked out great...i am going to use it...it has all the features I want...if you know of anymore like it in feature set...please let me...wish I could buy you a cup of coffee!

Folke

Registered
Sorry, I don't know much about project apps. I have heard a lot of good about Podio, though, so maybe you'd like to check it out - also built for team/project collaboration. Apparently it has some great customization capabilities. And Asana, perhaps - they say they are "GTD inspired".

Romain

GTD Connect
You might have heard of that belgian study : http://cogprints.org/6289/1/Heylighen-Vidal-GTD-Science.pdf (The Science behind Stressfree Productivity), that validates GTD. The last part of this (short and very readable) study has some great insight about teamwork "à la" GTD. Although a bit conceptual, this still provides some nice clues when it comes to GTDing together.

Now, as for your list,
1. Gantt: Gantt chart is OK even for GTD teamwork; as an individual I sometimes have tasks with deadlines and GTD complies with this.
2. Contexts: I'm not sure I can see how contexts could be relevant in "team" mode; as a GTDer I have my own contexts, although I can share some with my team mates, they all mean something a bit different among us (we have the same "@intranet", and yet we don't always put the same kind of actions on that list)
3. Resources: I guess most PM softwares with Gantt would allow that as well.
4. Collaboration features: do you look something that allows people to work concurrently on the same things (like a GoogleDoc), or just the ability to delegate/track/assign tasks between people and chat?
5. Task dependencies
6. iPhone app: this one crossed off many PM softwares on my end, because most apps would need an internet access to work. In my company we're quite all over the place and it's not rare for us to be out of reach of a network; therefore we need apps that make local copies of our stuff so we can work on it offline, and syncs asap.
7. Time tracker: I never used that stuff more than 2 weeks, but that's me :)