MAC Software Question

M

Mira 97232

I use a Mac Powerbook G4 with OS 10.3.9 (Panther).
I currently use a three ring binder for my GTD lists - and it's working well for me.

I am currently using Entourage for my calendar, and Mail (came with Mac) for e-mail. I have no addresses on my computer yet.

I would like to use one software program for calendar, e-mail and addresses. I'm trying to decide whether to go with the stuff that came with my Mac, Entourage, or some other software (such as Now Contacts).

In considering my options, I thought I'd ask some other GTD people, because I realize that at some point in the future I may choose to go fully online with my task lists - leaving behind the three-ring binder approach.

Does anyone have recommendations as to the best software that would integrate all: e-mail, calendar, contacts (addresses) and also whatever I might need to set up GTD fully online?

Many thanks in advance!

ceehjay

Registered
Try asking your question on the other forum (Gear, Gadgets, Software, and Toys). You may have more success in getting answers there.

Carolyn

mcogilvie

Registered
Mira 97232 said:
I am currently using Entourage for my calendar, and Mail (came with Mac) for e-mail. I have no addresses on my computer yet.

I would like to use one software program for calendar, e-mail and addresses. I'm trying to decide whether to go with the stuff that came with my Mac, Entourage, or some other software (such as Now Contacts).

If you want an all-in-one package on the mac to implement GTD "just like David does it" then Entourage is a reasonable choice. You might want to try using its mail features instead of Mail just for the sake of the integration. In my opinion, Ical plus Address Book are marginal for GTD, and you don't have a place for notes. Try setting up your lists in Entourage, do one weekly review and see what you like and don't like. After all, it's unrealistic to think you will use the same tool forever, so you might as well get used to testing systems occasionally against your particular needs.

TesTeq

Registered
The same tool forever...

mcogilvie said:
After all, it's unrealistic to think you will use the same tool forever, so you might as well get used to testing systems occasionally against your particular needs.
This quote shows how complicated and immature the area of software tools is. For example I do not expect to be testing any new tools for hammering the nails. The hammer is perfect for hammering both metal and finger nails :)

Algernon

Registered
mac software

Just few insights. I'm using mac with OS X 10.3.9, and working as a usability consultant.

I thought out that it is generally best to use the apps like the iCal and Contacts that came with the computer. One reason for this is that they are integrated better with the computer, and work generally better with other software.

The most challenging part is managing the actions in iCal's todo list.
For this, i recommend establishing multiple calendars in iCal - every calendar can have it's own todo list. Additionally, you can select which calendar(=todo list) is synchronized with your mobile device. (Eg. calendar named @mobile or @phone) I also recommend getting the Tiger, it has lots of enhancements in the iCal application. Like creating todo items with drag and drop.

See more about iCal 2.0 at http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/ical/

The spotlight search is a great time saver too.
(I'm still saving for Tiger myself.... :oops: )

For taking notes, i recommend Voodoopad Lite, which is free
http://flyingmeat.com/voodoopad/voodoopadlite.html

After using it for some time, you might want to get the full version.

mcogilvie

Registered
TesTeq said:
This quote shows how complicated and immature the area of software tools is. For example I do not expect to be testing any new tools for hammering the nails. The hammer is perfect for hammering both metal and finger nails :)

But there are nail guns and power screwdrivers, et cetera! With GTD, we build on the basic calendars, lists, address books, and notes, and in many ways that hasn't changed too much. But with email and the web moving data around, paper as an intermediate step makes little sense for many people (except as a personal choice, perhaps analogous to using a fountain pen).

I think that the real issues in usabilty, portability, and longevity lie with the data, not the programs. Proprietary formats for calendar items, address books, et cetera, make no sense from a user point of view (it does make sense for vendors wanting to lock in users). Apple's use of a portable data format in iCal has paid off in the sense that many web services, such as Basecamp, can use it.

Since TesTeq reminded me of it, I can't resist sharing my favorite saying about using approprite tools:

"To a two-year old with a hammer, everything looks like a nail." :)

andersons

Registered
TesTeq said:
Try telling that to someone with a nail gun who installs wood flooring or baseboards or who builds a deck in a tiny fraction of the time it takes you to do it with your hammer! :)

Even among hammers, some are much better designed than others, and there are different types of hammers for different types of jobs.

In every task, there are good tools and bad tools, well-suited tools and ill-suited tools. It pays to choose wisely with any tool. It's no different with software or with GTD. GTD has structured data and operations on data. Software has data structures and offers operations on the data via an interface. The best software choice(s) for GTD are those provide a good fit between your data/operations and the software's.

D

Dennis

cyberscribe said:
Also, just FYI -- we are in the final stages of revising our "Getting Things Done With Entourage" whitepaper, before we send it out to beta testers. Should be a great best-practices manual akin to our current "Getting Things Done With Outlook" offering:

http://davidco.com/store/product.php?productid=16173

Yes, when will this be done? I'd like to beta test and buy the little marvel!

cyberscribe

Senior Associate, Next Action Associates
Entourage Whitepaper

One of our coaches is finishing off the screenshots, and then we'll go into beta testing. We don't have a firm release date yet as it will depend partly on what (if anything) we discover needs refinement during testing.

Stay tuned.

JeffB

Registered
I use Entourage on my home computer and sync to Outlook 2003 on my work computer.

If you are looking for beta testers...

Jeff B

B

Bren

Beta tester

I've been using GTD for years with a Palm and a PC. My world was recently rocked with the acquisition of a Mac and a Blackberry. I went to the Seattle RoadMap seminar yesterday and I'd love to volunteer to test out the new Entourage methods.