Managing NAs with index cards

F

Frank Buck

ScanCards have been mentioned several times in this thread, so let me just throw out a suggestion based on my experience using ScanCards for a couple of years back in the mid 80s.

Rather than use them as instructed (which is to put the name of the project on the top line of the card), if I were to go back to that system, I would put the name of the project on the right half of the top line of the card. (OK, so I would have to write small. On the left half of the top line, I would write the next action *in pencil*. All of the other actions and information about the project would go on the body of the card (both front and back). Throughout the life of the project, as an action is completed, I would erase the action and replace it with the new next action (that I would find listed in on the body of the card). I would physically organize the cards so that all cards where the next action was a phone call would be together, errands together, etc.

For those unfamiliar with the system, the significance of the top line of the card is that the cards overlap in such a way that you see the top line of all cards at one glance. What I had when I used the system looked just like a legal pad folio. When you opened it, you had 4 columns. Each column had 12 little overlapping pockets, giving you 48 cards you culd see simply by opening the portfolio.

The problem with using it the way it was designed is that when you opened the portfolio, all you saw were the names of the projects. Basically, you were looking at your projects list. The actions were all hidden from view.

I would say if you like an index card system, it's worth giving ScanCards a look (just Google the term "ScanCard" and the link will be at the top of the list). They used to also sell individual panels that would fit into a 3 ring binder, so if your calendar and notes are in a binder, you could buy a panel and add it into what you already have.

Frank

L

LeonGTD

I use 3x5 cards printed off from a letter template. I can then able to have 4 cards which I can cut them off from one sheet of paper. Pretty good solution. You can download my template for free through here: 3×5 GTD Card Template