Marking a thread read on the forum

S-Tolland

Registered
Is it possible to mark a single thread as "read" when viewing the threads in the "What's New in the Forums?" tab? I know that you can mark all forums read, but it would be incredibly useful to be able to mark as read one thread at a time (as well as all in one go) without having to actually bring up the thread. If anyone could point me to a way to do this, or if a button could be added to allow this if it isn't available would be great!

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hello GTD Connect members,

I'm researching a plug-in for the forum that will allow you to click on a forum thread to mark it read. I need to make sure it's fully compatible before putting it in place. Oh boy, I sound like one of those overly cautious IT people. At any rate, I'll keep you posted on progress.

And thanks to Victoria for making my search more efficient, by sending me a couple of links to research.

Best,
John

Barb

Registered
Dear OCIP

John Forrister;99391 said:
Hello GTD Connect members,

I'm researching a plug-in for the forum that will allow you to click on a forum thread to mark it read. I need to make sure it's fully compatible before putting it in place. Oh boy, I sound like one of those overly cautious IT people. At any rate, I'll keep you posted on progress.

And thanks to Victoria for making my search more efficient, by sending me a couple of links to research.

Best,
John

John (Overly Cautious IT Person - OCIP):

As long as your at it, it would be great to also be able to mark a forum as "unread". Sometimes I open and read a post and want to respond and then I can't find it when I come back later.

DenaDahilig

Registered
Ditto!

Barb;99403 said:
As long as your at it, it would be great to also be able to mark a forum as "unread". Sometimes I open and read a post and want to respond and then I can't find it when I come back later.

I have little hardly-legible notes scrawled on my desk to remind me who I want to get back to. :D

Barb

Registered
Good idea

artsinaction;99405 said:
I have little hardly-legible notes scrawled on my desk to remind me who I want to get back to. :D

Yeah, I could just do that. I keep wanting the Forums to work like my email inbox, I guess. :p

vbampton

Administrator
Barb;99403 said:

Unfortunately vBulletin doesn't have a way of doing that - not even a hack. I keep looking, because it's a function I'd use regularly too. If I ever find a solution, I promise to post back!

In the meantime, best workaround I've come up with it to go to Thread Tools (menubar at the top of the thread) > Email this Thread and email the link to myself. That worked better than sending it to a bookmarked folder, because that would just be yet one more inbox to clear.

Barb

Registered
Oooh!

vbampton;99412 said:
Unfortunately vBulletin doesn't have a way of doing that - not even a hack. I keep looking, because it's a function I'd use regularly too. If I ever find a solution, I promise to post back!

In the meantime, best workaround I've come up with it to go to Thread Tools (menubar at the top of the thread) > Email this Thread and email the link to myself. That worked better than sending it to a bookmarked folder, because that would just be yet one more inbox to clear.

Thanks so much! That's helpful also when I see an idea I want to try too. I love learning a new trick!

vbampton

Administrator
Barb;99413 said:
Thanks so much! That's helpful also when I see an idea I want to try too. I love learning a new trick!

My pleasure. For a long time, I was sending them directly to my OmniFocus inbox, but then I started avoiding the Forum Threads to Follow Up list because most of the ones I send there require brainpower. Email inbox is a little less easy for me avoid!

S-Tolland

Registered
Thanks Victoria! Will definitely be using that tip - I have the same problem as Barb and often chide myself for not taking proper note of where the threads are that I am considering replying to.

And many thanks to John for working on the request!