Microsoft just released OneNote for Macintosh

apastuszak

Registered
I personally HATE OneNote. But I know others swear by it. Microsoft released a Mac version of it for FREE in the Mac App Store.

Only caveat is it can't read local data. Only reads OneNote files off a a Microsoft OneDrive/SkyDrive.

PeterW

Registered
The Office apps just released for iPad can save local data, so hopefully they will update OneNote to match this at some point in the future.

apastuszak

Registered
I think Microsoft's ultimate plan for OneNote is to turn into something like Evernote, with it being the front end client for some back end subscription sync service. I would expect things to go the other way and have local file support removed from the next verison of OneNote for Windows.

If you've used OneNote 2013, when you create a new Notebook, the default is OneDrive now. In 2010, the default was local and SkyDrive/OneDrive was an option.

PeterW

Registered
I've been looking for a decent note-taking app for a while that handles Mac and iOS. I am not a fan of the Evernote subscription model so I tried OneNote but the cloud-only storage option wasn't going to work for me.

I've been using Notebooks (http://www.notebooksapp.com) on my iPhone and iPad for a while and beta testing their Mac version. The Mac version is now released and is great. Syncing is via Dropbox and it doesn't use any proprietary file formats. It has some task functionality but I am not using that (still using Appigo Todo as I need the features) but Notebooks is great for storing notes and files.

petriekm

Registered
The latest version of OneNote for Mac and iOS save locally and sync to OneDrive if you want. I personally like using OneDrive since I use a Mac, PC, and iPhone frequently. Also, with 2TB of storage for free, how can I NOT use it? I find very little difference between the four platforms (Mac, PC, iPhone, Web).