Music for Productivity

ckennedy

Registered
In DA's Fast CD's he talks about using Baroque Music as a means to enhance or encourage a focused mindset.
I have made a CD of Baroque Music and also use "Music For Productivity" CD fromSound Health Series http://www.soundhealthseries.com

Wondering what music others use to help create maximum productive state or to break them out of a state of lethargy?

CK

kglade

Registered
I like "Tune Your Brain with Mozart" and "Mozart Makes You Smarter," both of which I picked up on sale at local Borders.

stargazer_rick

Registered
Anything instrumental from classical to space music to jazz to Yngwie Malmsteen. It's all a mood thing.

I find any music with lyrics and vocals to be quite distracting and my mind tends to want to focus on the words rather than allowing the music to block out everything else.

I

iowadogears

Music for Productivity

Anything by Beegie Adair, light jazz pianist (no vocals). Baroque and classical drives me batty, I think they have to re-do those studies.

Tspall

Registered
It depends on my situation:

If I'm really looking for inspiration and motivation, I'll play a collection of my favorite songs. If I want to concentrate on something, I'll usually play some jazz. I like to let my mood determine the music I want to listen to.

A

Anonymous

ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Motley Crue, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Zepplin, Bob
Segar... anything of the ilk with a driving beat.

Get's my blood flowing, mind workin'

I love classical, jazz et al but gimme something with pulse to process by... even some zydeco & some blues.

They keep my mind & lips hummin'

Jason Echols

Registered
What I listen to depends on what I am trying to accomplish.

If I am up against a deadline and need to act on a rush of adreneline, hard rock is good. Anything with a good driving beat that does not get on my nerves will do.

On an average work day, I listen to alot of smooth jazz. My favorites are Boney James, Jeff Kashiwa, the Rippingtons and the like.

85 percent of the time, I am listening to the jazz music.

A

Anonymous

Silence

Any kind of music distracts me greatly. My best work comes when it is as quiet as a library.

jrdouce

Registered
depends on mood and task

If I need to sit and focus on intellectual work, Gregorian Chants and some Celtic music like Lunasa plays well in the background. If I'm doing physical work such as cleaning the garage or if I need to improve my mood while doing something boring and repetitive, Zydeco or Blues always gets me going.

A

Anonymous

Re: Music for Productivity

ckennedy said:
In DA's Fast CD's he talks about using Baroque Music as a means to enhance or encourage a focused mindset.

CK

I have attended other seminars where Baroque music was touted as being great for learning, concentration, etc
My big question is where do I find a list of what musicians and titles that qualify as baroque music and which ones are best?

Bob

Paul@Pittsburgh

Registered
I just typed in Baroque music into a search on Real Player's rhapsody and found an album called the Best of Baroque music. It listed the following tracks

1. Air on G String

2. Badinerie from 'Suite No. 2'

3. Second Movement from 'Concerto for 2 Violins, BMV 1043

4. Allegro Finale from 'Fireworks Music'
Composer: George Frideric Handel

5. Adagio from 'Oboe Concerto in C Minor'
Composer: Alessandro Marcello

6. Presto from 'Water Music'

7. Larghetto from 'Xerxes'

8. Allegro from 'Concerto No. 1, Op. 8. `Spring'
Composer: Antonio Vivaldi

9. Giazotto - Adagio in G Minor
Composer: Tomaso Giovanni Albinoni

10. Allegor from 'Concerto in B flat for 2 Trumpets'

11. Pastorale from 'Concerto grosso, No. 8, Op.6, `Christmas Concerto''
Composer: Arcangelo Corelli

12. Allegro from 'Autumn' - ' The Four Seasons'

13. Andante from 'Concerto for Viola'
Composer: Georg Philipp Telemann

14. Allegro from 'Concerto grosso, No. 12'

I just started playing it. Very nice!

Paul

A

Anonymous

dakennedy said:

cranewms2 said:
I have attended other seminars where Baroque music was touted as being great for learning, concentration, etc
My big question is where do I find a list of what musicians and titles that qualify as baroque music and which ones are best?

Because I do research in a semi-related area and because some of my students have chosen similar topics for their independent research topics, I have looked at the research in this area. The truth is that there is no large, robust effect of music on mental performance, certainly not in any way that could predictably affect an individual's performance in the real world.

The effect that is sometimes seen in laboratory studies comes not just from Baroque, but also from other lively classical music pieces. Any number of lively-sounding classical music pieces have sometimes improved laboratory performance in certain mental tasks compared to slow musical pieces. However, there are a lot of caveats in interpreting these laboratory results.

1) The increase in performance is small, variable, and different across individuals. Because it is a small effect and there is so much variability, it is hard to see the effect even when measuring performance precisely. Individuals will rarely if ever notice an effect informally as they sit at their desks working.

2) The small effect seen in some studies appears to come not from the music itself, but from the music's effect on arousal. Lively music increases arousal. And arousal (up to a point) is well known to improve learning and memory. But other factors affect arousal much more strongly than music -- such as caffeine. Caffeine improves learning and memory, and its effects are robust, relatively large, and extremely well documented. By contrast, music's effect is variable, small, and hard to replicate.

3) In fact, some research suggests that even when people believe they learn better while listening to certain music, they actually learn better without any music.

Bottom line: there is nothing magical about Baroque music that makes your brain focus more. (Baroque music, by the way, is simply art music with certain shared style characteristics from approximately the 1600's. Many of the studies mentioned above used Mozart, which is actually from the Classical period, not Baroque.)

The things that have a big effect on your brain's performance are
1) sleep - inadequate sleep degrades performance
2) food - blood sugar swings, or high or low levels, degrade performance
3) motivation - we use money to get incredible feats of attention, learning, and memory from laboratory participants. (Course credit has little effect!)
4) pharmacological agents - caffeine, nootropics, etc.

Although they don't make for exciting seminar content, all of these have far greater impact than music, so if you want to improve your mental performance, look at the big 3 first.

-andersons

A

Anonymous

Don't you think we can train our minds to respond to a certain type of music (or other stimulus) in a particular way? Also that the power of suggestion is at work. For example, my dentist always has new age music (with lots of harp) that I would never listen to of my own volition. But she says it's relaxing for her patients, and I think it is calming ( but I realize that some other types of music might do that, or even white noise etc.)

Recently I've gotten interested in relaxation and the relationship between mind and body, since that cover article in Newsweek appeared a few weeks ago. I got a relaxation cd and tried to use it, but I believe I get just as relaxed playing my favorite Bob Dylan albums, and even some Rolling Stones. So I'm wondering if it isn't the associations that spring up in my mind when I play that 60's music. --Perhaps they remind me of a pleasant period of my life, so if I'm listening to that music while I'm driving, I stay calm and don't get stressed by the red light runners and the people who cut in front of me with only an inch to spare, or cut across three lanes of traffic to get to the other side of the street, etc.

And, if I start playing cd's of baroque music, or classical guitar, when I want to work, I wonder if it won't help get me trained, so that when I sit down at my desk and get out my files etc., and have the music going, maybe it will be a continuous reminder that I'm not to stop working until I stop the music.

I'm wondering if it could work like that--I'd like to be like Pavlov's dog, point me toward that desk, and my mind will automatically go into a productive, focused mode, because of all the environmental signals that are telling me to keep my mind on work.

I really wonder about this because all my life I've hated to have music going around me when I was trying to work or study. I thought it was because I couldn't block it out, or maybe I had to engage my mind with it, but now I'd like to try to use it to help me concentrate.

I spent the weekend cleaning everything off my desk, so I'll have nothing on it but the files I'm working on and my computer. I'm wondering if there's anything else I could do that would help my concentration.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Guest said:
Don't you think we can train our minds to respond to a certain type of music (or other stimulus) in a particular way?. . . For example, my dentist always has new age music (with lots of harp) that I would never listen to of my own volition. But she says it's relaxing for her patients. . .

Yes, some types of music can increase arousal, while other types of music can decrease it. And yes, certain recognizable songs can become associated with either trauma or relaxation. For example, a song that may be relaxing (i.e., lower arousal) for most people may actually increase arousal for me (Send In the Clowns) because I hate the song. Hating a song is, of course, a learned response. Say the dentist is playing a particular harp piece while performing a painful operation on you. Say the pain becomes suddenly, unexpectedly, and unbearably severe. The trauma of that painful experience may lead to the accompanying stimuli, including the harp music, being encoded as traumatic. However, even many traumatic associations fade over time; memories decay if they are not reinforced.

Guest said:
So I'm wondering if it isn't the associations that spring up in my mind when I play that 60's music. --Perhaps they remind me of a pleasant period of my life, so if I'm listening to that music while I'm driving, I stay calm and don't get stressed by the red light runners. . .

I would argue that the music in fact distracts you from some of the unpleasant aspects of driving. Much of the time, driving does not require your full attention. So your mind is free to notice the obnoxious rudeness of other drivers. But when you play enjoyable music (the enjoyment is a learned response), you can pay attention to the music instead of the other drivers.

Guest said:
And, if I start playing cd's of baroque music, or classical guitar, when I want to work, I wonder if it won't help get me trained, so that when I sit down at my desk and get out my files etc., and have the music going, maybe it will be a continuous reminder that I'm not to stop working until I stop the music.

If this were the case, the music would be functioning to help increase your motivation to focus on certain work. It sounds like the motivation is lacking. Making your work or your environment more pleasant can perhaps help.

Guest said:
I'm wondering if it could work like that--I'd like to be like Pavlov's dog, point me toward that desk, and my mind will automatically go into a productive, focused mode, because of all the environmental signals that are telling me to keep my mind on work.

I doubt it. Remember that Pavlov's dogs were conditioned with food. Food is undoubtedly the most powerful and reliable reward. If you want to leverage your deepest subconscious biological reward mechanisms, try using food. Even so, when you control the food, it probably won't work as well as when you get it only when the experimenter gives it to you.

Also, Pavlov's dog's were conditioned to salivate when hearing a bell. They weren't conditioned to work hard for long periods of time when hearing that bell. There's a big difference. Animals, just like humans, procrastinate when they know they have to do more work before getting a reward. Recent research showed that this behavior depends on the brain's reward circuitry. When monkeys' brains' reward circuitry was turned off (by inactivating dopamine in a certain brain area), the monkeys became uncharacteristic workaholics for tasks for which they had previously slacked off.

Guest said:
I really wonder about this because all my life I've hated to have music going around me when I was trying to work or study. I thought it was because I couldn't block it out, or maybe I had to engage my mind with it, but now I'd like to try to use it to help me concentrate.

I'm a professional musician (formerly full-time, now part-time) so of course I really love music. For work that doesn't require full attention, and/or work that is tedious and boring so I want to get it done fast, I often listen to arousing music to help by distracting me with something pleasant that will probably speed me up. But when work requires my full attention, I can't listen to any kind of music.

Guest said:
I spent the weekend cleaning everything off my desk, so I'll have nothing on it but the files I'm working on and my computer. I'm wondering if there's anything else I could do that would help my concentration.

What type of work do you have trouble concentrating on? And what do you do instead of concentrating?

-andersons

A

Anonymous

I guess my problem is that I have trouble getting started, organizing my work, and just sitting down and doing it. So I've cleaned everything off my desk and gotten it absolutely clear, and for the past few days I've been doing better at concentration. I'm an accountant so my projects are tax returns, reports for my clients, etc. And I get on the internet and read these messages when I can't settle down.

A

Anonymous

Guest said:
I'm an accountant so my projects are tax returns, reports for my clients, etc. And I get on the internet and read these messages when I can't settle down.

I also find participating in certain forums enjoyable and often preferable to tackling much more important and difficult work. So I use the internet as a reward for completing some task I might want to avoid or put off. For example, I have to grade some essays. This is a task I altogether dislike. So I set a goal to grade 4, which I expect to take a painful 90 minutes, and then reward myself with 30 minutes of internet. This has been working great for me.

-andersons

A

Anonymous

I still believe we can train our minds to respond to certain stimuli in a certain way. For example, since I have ADD, I've set up a calendar which includes daily checklists for items that I need to do, like taking my medicine and putting my glasses, cellphone, and wallet in my purse before I leave the house. I've used that checklist for about two weeks, and now when I see the binder I have the checklist in, I run down the checklist mentally. Even if I don't see the actual page the checklist is printed on, I'm reminded of the items on the checklist. So, perhaps in a non-technical way, and perhaps I'm not using the proper terminology to describe this, the sight of the binder reminds me of the things I need to do. My only concern is that someday I'll see the binder and not bother to stop and think about the checklist--just walk out, possibly without one or more of those things I need. But for now I'm conscious of the need to respect the checklist and I hope that the habits will be reinforced to the extent that eventually I won't need the checklist.

And I believe that music does help me focus on my work. For example, I play classical guitar music while I'm at my clients' offices, and when it's at a very low volume it doesn't disturb me or anyone else, and yet I have the sensation that the music provides me a mental stake in the ground. It isn't interesting in the sense that the Rolling Stones or Bob Dylan are, as they take me back to the 60's and 70's and all that was going on then, politically and personally--they stimulate my mind in ways I don't want when I'm trying to work. But baroque or early music doesn't relate to anything in my personal life, anything that I've experienced, or at least to very little--it doesn't awaken any links in my mind that lead to other things. And yet when it's going I don't get distracted by other things--I'm aware of things going on, but I don't get involved with them. Other people's music is going, but I can ignore it while I hear my own music.

So I'm happy with what this music is doing for me when I'm already focused, but I also want to be able to turn it on and start focusing and get down to desk work that needs to be done. I've been busy the past couple weeks and have had very little time to sit at the desk and work, but I'll be working on this first chance I get.

J

Jason Womack

Wondering what music others use to help create maximum productive state or to break them out of a state of lethargy?

For my weekly review, I generally play the soundtrack to "Out of Africa."

For working out, a long run, or getting ready for a race? Not that soundtrack! (Current favorites: U2, Black Eyed Peas, Jack Johnson)

(But, both "types" of music get me ready to be productive, mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually.)

A

Andrea Bonner

I work in a cubicle surrounded by 15 other people, so to maintain focus I put my headphones on and listen to one of the many stations on iTunes(it's free--so you can change your selection to suit your mood or task at hand). Just download the player from the iTunes website and you're off & running.

Right now, I'm listening to a station in the "Classical" section called MostlyClassical. There's a lively concerto by Handel playing. There's also a station called Magnatune Classical, which plays Renaissance & Baroque...I haven't tried it yet. Another favorite is in the "Ambient" section called Dub Beautiful Collective. It's soothing and helps me concentrate. When I'm doing busy work or taking a break, I tune in to KCRW on the "Eclectic" section--it's my favorite radio station streaming from LA, and plays a lot of progressive music.

If there are others who sit in a cubicle environment and want to block out noise, I highly recommend the Bose noise canceling headphones. They're pricey, but can be purchased used on eBay. Music sounds great, virtually all other sound is blocked out, and I swear it seems to help me think more clearly. And I'll take whatever help I can get!
Andrea

S

scott m

music is key to my productivity

I have been using music with no lyrics for years when I wanted to be productive. About 2 years ago, I started listening to trance. I can get Internet radio, and http://www.philosomatika.com/ is the best I have found. It is not for everyone, but I have a number of reasons why it works for me.
1) No lyrics, no distractions. The music is the background and soundtrack to my work.
2) No commercials, and a continuous stream 24 hours a day. I work as long as I want.
3) I have what I call a nimble attention. I notice everything, making it difficult to concentrate. With my headphones on, my focus becomes very concentrated on what I am doing.
4) I have a mind that thinks faster than I can work. The background music seems to fill the mental RAM that typically goes off on a tangent when there is a slight gap in what I am doing.
5) The driving beat keeps my motivation and interest high. Movies use it all the time. A boring scene becomes much more interesting with lively music.
6) Pure Pavlovian. After doing this for a while, I know and trust my response. I turn it on, concentrate on the music for 10-20 seconds with my eyes closed, and then get to work. In less than a minute, the rest of the world disappears and I am in my zone. The amazing thing for me is that I can stay there for hours, as long as I don't switch projects.

There may not be any research to back it up, but I know what works for me. It also works for my kids. An hour of this in an otherwise quiet and still house, and their homework is done.