Music for Productivity

A

Anonymous

Anonymous said:
I still believe we can train our minds to respond to certain stimuli in a certain way. For example, since I have ADD, .....

And yet when it's going I don't get distracted by other things--I'm aware of things going on, but I don't get involved with them. Other people's music is going, but I can ignore it while I hear my own music.

Your hitting on the key point here; ADD and Distractions. I have severe ADD which I wasn't aware of until my daughter was diagnosed with it as well some 3 years ago. I am considered "high functioning" mostly through learned behaviors. Through her and her struggles I was able to map the sources of my various successes and fairlures over the years and then teach her my tricks for overcoming...

Here's what I've learn about music benefits; That may apply to a lesser extend on those without ADD.

1. ADD people have a hard time changing states compare to others. On of the characteristics of ADD is that you ride momentum and forward interia; because you are always multitasking you get into the habit of moving forward with as little energy as possible. Changing states requires a much higher burst of energy mental or physical. So the energy boast that intial music provides can providebe the key to getting into motion. It becomes a trick that you use when you need it; whether you conciously know it; doesn't really matter. For my daughter we have "start my homework music" that we use daily to help her to change state from play to work.

2. ADD People have a audio radar that is constantly sweeping the area. It not uncommon for an ADD person to listen to 3-4 conversations at once and to be mentally processing the content. In addtion to that they probably have 2-3 going on internalling as well. This is what makes them seem distant when talking to them at a group gathering. They can't block out the background conversations so they can't focus on you 100% so you think they are aloof or not interested in your conversation. This problem is just as bad when trying to work in an office environment especially one that is quite except for verbal converstaion. White Noise or Steady Beat Music whether through headphones or quite radio tends to "occupy" the ADD Radar; without the concious processing component. This blocking out of the outside world is the true affect that provide the benefit; and it also one of the reasons the "non-verbal" music works the best. It simply leaves more cycles available to do the work at hand.

R

Ray2

Anonymous said:
Your hitting on the key point here; ADD and Distractions.
2. ADD People have a audio radar that is constantly sweeping the area.

I also have ADD and discovered "tombs", as in "quiet as a tomb", aren't really all that quiet. OK, while not exactly a tomb, I tried studing in a sub basement in college (once) and discovered how much noise there really is in 'quiet' places. Short of trying an anechoic chamber, I've used music w/o words I understand (foreign languages seem to be OK most of the time) to settle me down and keep the rest of the world from distracting me.

ggrozier

Registered
Music for work or driving

I've started playing goa trance when I need to get myself moving, started working, etc. It has a fast beat, lots of drum, full of energy, and I feel myself moving faster when I listen. You can stream it at www.philosomatika.com. It gets repetitive after a while--but maybe I just need to explore it more. Good for housework, etc., or just generally getting the blood flowing and waking me up in the morning.

And for something to play in the background and block out distractions and the noise around me, there's Brian Eno's Discrete Music or Airport Music--it's soothing and almost hypnotic, and helps me transition to evening and quiet time. Good music for relaxation.

There's also software you can download to play rainfall, seashore sounds, etc--I've tried Atmosphere at www.relaxingsoftware.com (freeware). It has a number of settings/choices, very nice.

When I'm driving around in the car, I like something calm, like classical guitar or baroque or contemporary finger-picked guitar. The trance wouldn't be good for traffic because I'd get a speeding ticket every day! And the Brian Eno would put me to sleep.

You can go to download.com, click the Music tab at the left, browse all genres, and they have a fantastic variety of genres. For example, click on Classical, and you get 15 genres. And when you select a genre, there will be one to maybe ten artists, with a good selection of pieces you can download, or you can stream the page. So that's a great resource for exploring music, and discovering what you like, and what works for you. You won't find the top acts/artists, this seems like a marketing opportunity for new or local talent, but they're all really good, and it gives you the opportunity to explore.

G

GTDroadKill

SlipKnot...

SlipKnot and Shadows Fall make for some real GTD-FAST! Of course, it's not recommended for the more discriminating palate in re: to musical taste. Having said that I do believe that the King gtd'er prefers classical, smooth-jazz, and saucy/spicy latin rhythms and tewns for optimal fuel-efficiency of the ear.

I, for one, tend to lean this direction some myself - however, sometimes as deadlines approach and intensity increases... heavier metallic and gutteral thunderings are in order.

Thank heaven for the 20 GB iPod and the availability of playlists!

g