My Written tutorial for the Digital file folder ABC system/method (By simpletivity on youtube) for PC's and more questions about using digital forGTD

Indeed, I have been using Fences from Stardock, specifically the product you found at https://www.stardock.com/products/fences/.

My journey with Fences began years ago when I delved into the Getting Things Done (GTD) methodology. At that time, I was on a quest to declutter and organize the look and feel of my desktop environment. This led me to conduct searches on Google, where I eventually discovered Fences.

Right so it was right link I posted in previous reply
right
Because I started using it several years ago, I'm not on a yearly subscription plan; the pricing model might have changed to what you see today—a 10-pound yearly fee after a free trial.
What - you started using it a while ago - and so actually able carry on using it for free now?
10 pounds aint that much
Your contemplation about whether this software could be a 'maybe/someday' item on your list resonates with the process many go through when considering new tools or software. It often sits in our mental backlog until we revisit it, sometimes prompted by a need or a recommendation.
Yes I need to improve with Asana
Regarding the main purpose of Fences, it significantly goes beyond just organizing desktop icons. It allows for creating "fences" to categorize icons and files, introducing the functionality of tabs and object docks. These features are instrumental for accessing URLs directly from the desktop in a tidy and efficient manner, greatly enhancing productivity by making navigation and file management more intuitive.

Oh right what are the other features
categorization of files - but what else?
The ability to quickly hide or show groups of icons with a double-click is another feature I find particularly useful, as it reduces clutter while keeping everything within easy reach.

Showing/hiding icons - can't you do that anyone with windows?
Additionally, I've incorporated Stardock's Start button replacement for Windows into my setup. The deployment of Microsoft's tiles environment in recent versions of Windows has never impressed me. I find it cumbersome and less intuitive compared to the traditional Start menu. Stardock’s solution effectively restores the Start button to its classic functionality, akin to what users were accustomed to prior to Windows 10.
I don't know what is stardock start button?
This personalization aligns with my workflow and aesthetic preferences, making navigation and access to programs and files more streamlined.

Yeah maybe looks better then regular windows
If you're intrigued but unsure whether Fences is the right fit for you, trying the free trial could be a good next step. It's a low-commitment way to explore its features and see how it meshes with your workflow and desktop management preferences.

Yeah could try this right now then
Given the time constraints you mentioned, starting with a brief exploration—perhaps setting aside 5 to 15 minutes to experiment with the trial—could give you a good initial sense of its capabilities and whether it suits your needs.

You - something can do right now
Should you decide to explore further or have specific questions about its features, I'd be happy to share more about my experience or assist with any queries you might have.
Thanks"
STN

My personal advice would be to try to keep as Simple as possible in order to work the methodology (through you system) with the least amount of effort!

ITM

(whilst doing the action in 2 minutes looking back in "my threads" I have created - to try to find type thread.

where have it in my mind were sharing idea literally " I- see something version guide download GTD asana isn't completely up to date"
(and then idea -that myself Tim could ask if I could work for GTD to upload a new version of guide to website for others also to use".

Can you confirm Rene? This is thread where we were writing about it? But where is this specific writing in this thread? A next action would be find it and quote it". "

To the point of Desktop - In managing the organization of my desktop, I leverage a tool named Fences, developed by Objectdock. This application allows me to segment my desktop into various categorized sections, known as "fences", to streamline my workflow and keep essential files and shortcuts within easy reach.

At the top of my desktop, I've established a fence named 'IN'. This serves as my digital inbox, a designated area where files, especially those attached to emails that require further action or inclusion in my Getting Things Done (GTD) workflow, are temporarily stored. It acts as a holding pen for items awaiting processing and categorization.

Directly below the 'IN' fence, there's another called 'AOF' (Areas of Focus). This space is reserved for shortcuts to key documents and resources that are actively in use for managing my areas of focus. It's a strategic repository that helps me maintain quick access to strategic files currently in motion.

Beyond these GTD-oriented fences, I've also created additional sections for different purposes, such as a dedicated fence for my most frequently used application shortcuts. This flexibility allows for a tailored desktop environment that supports my unique workflow and preferences.

One of the standout features of Fences is the ability to designate a default fence. This default area automatically houses any file dragged onto the desktop, ensuring that new items don't clutter my workspace and are instead organized according to my predefined system. They land into IN.

Moreover, Fences offers an exceptional feature for maintaining privacy and minimizing distractions during screen sharing sessions, such as those conducted over a Visio call. With a simple double-click anywhere on the desktop, I can temporarily hide all fences, presenting a clean and uncluttered screen to viewers. A second double-click swiftly restores the fences, bringing my organized desktop back into view.

This application has transformed the way I manage my digital workspace, providing not just an organizational system but also enhancing productivity and focus by keeping essential tools and documents at my fingertips while maintaining a tidy and visually appealing desktop.
ITM

you seemed to be the only user here - seemed acknowledge the problem where had in print screen

Where one of my next actions literally was - I created this type of ABC system

and one of folders within it was literally called something - what now " desktop - and I just pasted disorganized desktop data there, but how do I organize it within that? you understand?

"

Dear Allen forum for users who responded to first thread post above @gtdstudente to start with at least.

To add on in this title post ? IF x doesn't get back within 24hours.

One things I wrote, wrote to myself in first thread is how I had single files/documents all out in desktop for example - all ended up doing is putting them in one moved file.

View attachment 1711

"I called the file Inbox" and didn't remember the name, had click through find it just now.

Helps see visual image .

View attachment 1712
In large icons - this is what my previous desktop looked like
Where had W which is WPS word text documents (using text editors for my habit of pasting texts (which post online such as this one (writing in local software application (instead of on the online website/browser first because sometimes on Facebook when you have a "post opened")*1 start writing in it , it then closes and deletes within 1-2 minutes.

The act of writing this would maybe make improvement/change to myself ,that don't need to use text editor when writing on allens fourm - because it has save feature and seems never to "delete.

How should I improve my technology use? These files are they worth keeping*1? What have done in past is transferred files built up over to expansion drive.

*1 because even though not titled with words well - have number title according to date and maybe - I am writing saved text related to things using web for ?

Is it worth I sort through files shown in picture?" s

This post here shows problem @Y_Lherieau maybe interested

my old desktop

I feel like I don't know how to sort through - organize these old files

So Should I just delete them? a voice said

1711054368102.png

Y_Lherieau

GTD Connect
Absolutely, when approaching the items on your desktop (virtual or physical), it's essential to apply the GTD methodology with precision and patience, treating each item as you would with your physical inbox. For each item on your desktop PC, you should methodically ask two critical questions:

1. What is it? - Identify the nature of the item. Is it a document, an application shortcut, a reminder, a task, or something else? Understanding what each item represents is the first step towards clarity.
  2. Is this actionable? - Determine if the item requires any form of action. Does it lead to a task that needs to be completed, a decision that needs to be made, or is it merely informational?
Based on your response to whether the item is actionable or not, you then follow through with the GTD's six options:

If 'No', the item is not actionable:

• Trash - If the item is no longer needed or irrelevant, discard it = Delete key
  • Incubate - For items that might be useful in the future but are not currently actionable, consider putting them in a Someday/Maybe list or setting a reminder into your calendar/tickler system for a future review (but elements might land into a folder named Someday/Maybe)
  • Reference - If the item is useful for informational purposes or as a reference, file it accordingly in an easily retrievable system (digital A-Z).
If 'Yes', the item is actionable:

• Do it - If the action can be completed in less than two minutes, do it immediately.
  • Delegate it - If someone else is better suited to address the item or it's not your responsibility, delegate it to the appropriate person.
  • Defer it - If the action requires more time or resources than you currently have available, schedule it for later or add it to your project list to ensure it's addressed in a structured manner.
This disciplined approach ensures that every item on your desktop is intentionally processed, leading to a more organized, productive, and stress-free environment. Remember, consistency in applying these principles is key to maintaining control and focus in your workspace and your life.

When completed your desktop should be clean.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
This post here shows problem @Y_Lherieau maybe interested

my old desktop

I feel like I don't know how to sort through - organize these old files

So Should I just delete them? a voice said

View attachment 1785
To add to the previous reply, I would advice you to consider giving the files more descriptive file names, so that you don't have to open the to see what they contain...
In my practice, I scan every receipt that I need to hold on to. As a default these files are given very generic names by the software. I then go through each and every one and change their names following the following convention:

YYMMDD - Vendor - Description

Example:

240322 - IKEA - Drönjöns letter trays.pdf

All receipts are stored under "Reference" in a separate "Receipts" folder in Google Drive.
This has saved me A LOT of time and trouble! By following the dating system, you can easily sort and delete receipts that are too old to have any value (e.g warranty is expired).

Absolutely, when approaching the items on your desktop (virtual or physical), it's essential to apply the GTD methodology with precision and patience, treating each item as you would with your physical inbox. For each item on your desktop PC, you should methodically ask two critical questions:

1. What is it? - Identify the nature of the item. Is it a document, an application shortcut, a reminder, a task, or something else? Understanding what each item represents is the first step towards clarity.
  2. Is this actionable? - Determine if the item requires any form of action. Does it lead to a task that needs to be completed, a decision that needs to be made, or is it merely informational?
Based on your response to whether the item is actionable or not, you then follow through with the GTD's six options:

• Trash - If the item is no longer needed or irrelevant, discard it = Delete key
  • Incubate - For items that might be useful in the future but are not currently actionable, consider putting them in a Someday/Maybe list or setting a reminder into your calendar/tickler system for a future review (but elements might land into a folder named Someday/Maybe)
  • Reference - If the item is useful for informational purposes or as a reference, file it accordingly in an easily retrievable system (digital A-Z).

• Do it - If the action can be completed in less than two minutes, do it immediately.
  • Delegate it - If someone else is better suited to address the item or it's not your responsibility, delegate it to the appropriate person.
  • Defer it - If the action requires more time or resources than you currently have available, schedule it for later or add it to your project list to ensure it's addressed in a structured manner.
This disciplined approach ensures that every item on your desktop is intentionally processed, leading to a more organized, productive, and stress-free environment. Remember, consistency in applying these principles is key to maintaining control and focus in your workspace and your life.

1st ITM
scanning this

thanks for professional formatted here

will need reference back to this

STN

To add to the previous reply, I would advice you to consider giving the files more descriptive file names, so that you don't have to open the to see what they contain...
In my practice, I scan every receipt that I need to hold on to. As a default these files are given very generic names by the software. I then go through each and every one and change their names following the following convention:

voice said - this was maybe I tried certain time in past?
But never got habit - other than finishing a saved document saving it title of date mostly, then leaving it?
YYMMDD - Vendor - Description

"What does vendor mean? - writing a description whole description as the title of a document would that work?
Don't you have limited characters to be able title stuff on desktop windows? are you allowed - keys?
Example:

240322 - IKEA - Drönjöns letter trays.pdf

All receipts are stored under "Reference" in a separate "Receipts" folder in Google Drive.
What do you mean writing about receipts? You save receipts digitally? What?
I don't fully understand the above
This has saved me A LOT of time and trouble! By following the dating system, you can easily sort and delete receipts that are too old to have any value (e.g warranty is expired).

Right I could quote your new system here- then
try reference back at it every time I make a new file? Could save your writing here on my new desktop or - on my phone? STN 24 AC action cue

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
voice said - this was maybe I tried certain time in past?
But never got habit - other than finishing a saved document saving it title of date mostly, then leaving it?
You can always go back and change the name of a file - it's never too late! To me, this is part og 'being kind to my future self'.
"What does vendor mean? - writing a description whole description as the title of a document would that work?
Don't you have limited characters to be able title stuff on desktop windows? are you allowed - keys?
Vendor is the name of the shop or whatever place I bought it (in my example: IKEA). I believe you can have up to about 250 characters or so in a file name, and dashes work perfectly fine.
What do you mean writing about receipts? You save receipts digitally? What?
I don't fully understand the above
Yes I do - then I throw the physical receipt away. Digital takes no place, and also the print on a receipt may fade over time... Sometimes I am given the option of receiving the receipt digitally in the first place.
Right I could quote your new system here- then
try reference back at it every time I make a new file? Could save your writing here on my new desktop or - on my phone? STN 24 AC action cue
Do as you please! As you may see, my file naming conventions reminds a bit about how many people list their waiting for's...

ITM @ 16 :07 words stuff- myself Q worth that I narrate more?

Example – since made that post its been what 3-2 months where left the desktop in state that it was

was thinking right now literally to myself : in print screen image show files such as
pictures which initial thoughts are for this folder
are they also saved else where (I literally am not 100% sure – or if these are also duplicates?

This links to previous problem I have with transferring pictures off my phone syncing to PC

then next main thing shown is in folder type of “documents” which are titled according to date – which literally might just be something (like additional use to using internet online- you understand, like drafts).

So I should apply these things to system L Y wrote here.

With type word documents e.g. dated PC usage-

I would say that they are not really further actionable (I am not going to write on them or with them further- but could maybe look back on them.

No one else than myself better deal with this data.

Defer it – no reason act now.

So a voice in my head says best way to deal with these documents in file shown – would be to file them on my sea gate expansion drive (which has loads of space )

maybe because of OCD? I don’t use expansion drive much at all – but having it on there actually means potentially be able refer it in future? But myself Tim not actually sure I have ever done this – used files put on expansion drive – over than my searching key words a small amount.

Next step – look /search file photos over.

share more about problem have with photos.

And was having words in head over to do with user L Y.

@23rd (the next scanning over above message (having bold highlighted – the next action voice said was show example visually next message transferring the files to expansion drive to prove a point.
"STN R

You can always go back and change the name of a file - it's never too late! To me, this is part og 'being kind to my future self'.

What I trying share is I have loads of files text editor files - from maybe time since started using PCs just labelled the date on expansion drive - it would take to long to re label them all?
Vendor is the name of the shop or whatever place I bought it (in my example: IKEA). I believe you can have up to about 250 characters or so in a file name, and dashes work perfectly fine.
Now I know/learned
Yes I do - then I throw the physical receipt away. Digital takes no place, and also the print on a receipt may fade over time... Sometimes I am given the option of receiving the receipt digitally in the first place.

I wonder how you save the receipt digitally? What is the technique /method?
Do as you please! As you may see, my file naming conventions reminds a bit about how many people list their waiting for's...
OK - the 1st quote could be print screen image photo copy here" STN

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
What I trying share is I have loads of files text editor files - from maybe time since started using PCs just labelled the date on expansion drive - it would take to long to re label them all?
It probably will, but if you take one at a time, you will eventually be done... A matter of taste of course, but I like to know what's inside a file by looking at its name...
I wonder how you save the receipt digitally? What is the technique /method?
I store them as PDF files in a "receipts" sub-folder of "reference". I use Google Drive, but you can store locally on your hard drive if you wish (I like to have them available on my phone when I'm out and about).

Most of the time I use my scanner to scan them, but sometimes I just use my phone (Google Drive has a built in scan function on the phone). And sometimes the shop offers to send the receipt to my email, which I then store in the receipts folder.

Nothing fancy!

It probably will, but if you take one at a time, you will eventually be done... A matter of taste of course, but I like to know what's inside a file by looking at its name...

I store them as PDF files in a "receipts" sub-folder of "reference". I use Google Drive, but you can store locally on your hard drive if you wish (I like to have them available on my phone when I'm out and about).

Most of the time I use my scanner to scan them, but sometimes I just use my phone (Google Drive has a built in scan function on the phone). And sometimes the shop offers to send the receipt to my email, which I then store in the receipts folder.

Oh right I could take - try taking picture of receipts or maybe using scanner?
Nothing fancy!
STN?

you didn't see my other message?

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Oh right I could take - try taking picture of receipts or maybe using scanner?
That's a possibility, yes!
you didn't see my other message?
There are many messages in both threads and private messages... Think I have now seen everything, but the ones that demand longer or more time consuming responses are not always easy to get to... Sometimes you reply to your own posts as well, which creates a lot of notifications in the forum that quickly get a bit complicated to follow...

That's a possibility, yes!

im not sure much point myself keeping petty food shopping reciepts? "
There are many messages in both threads and private messages... Think I have now seen everything, but the ones that demand longer or more time consuming responses are not always easy to get to... Sometimes you reply to your own posts as well, which creates a lot of notifications in the forum that quickly get a bit complicated to follow...
STN?

Maybe @René Lie 1711273505176.png

just tried example – of renaming type folder shown here literally into.

system suggested.

and it seemed long?

For example one file – didn’t know exactly how long ago was created because I didn’t mark it exactly when I made it so what should I do with that?

Had voice in my head say: a solution to this – is just cutt the entire “desktop” file over , onto expansion drive right now.

1711273530479.png

and Maybe this could be a side project something could do when energy levels low – try focusing renaming old files, should put it on ansana mind sweep.
"STN

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
I'd say write however long you need in order to understand what the file contains!
Also, if you write the date with year first, month second and day last, the files within a folder will be sorted chronologically - at least I think that is a nice way of sorting...