My Written tutorial for the Digital file folder ABC system/method (By simpletivity on youtube) for PC's and more questions about using digital forGTD

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
I

so you agree - makes sense only use digital if possible.
makes recording things easier.
Some people prefer paper based systems and have that working well for them, but my personal preference is keeping as much digital as possible. Takes less space and is always with me! :)

Some people prefer paper based systems and have that working well for them, but my personal preference is keeping as much digital as possible. Takes less space and is always with me! :)
ITM

"Rene I'm not sure saw other post tagged you in - where shared about using type Asana app digitally on phone for first time , problem I encountered on it."

@TimBourne,

If I could do everything digitally that would be preferred for many reasons, however, sometimes paper is easier and therefore necessary for me

As you see GTD fit
"do everything digitally that would be preferred for many reasons" that's what I want to strive to learn - to get skilled using tech so it is easier using digital then paper - you understand?

gtdstudente

Registered
"do everything digitally that would be preferred for many reasons" that's what I want to strive to learn - to get skilled using tech so it is easier using digital then paper - you understand?
@TimBourne,

That is a worthy goal for me as well . . . however, for less 'digital pressure standards', using trust-worthy paper when necessary be would also be OK on this end

As you see GTD fit

@TimBourne,

That is a worthy goal for me as well . . . however, for less 'digital pressure standards', using trust-worthy paper when necessary be would also be OK on this end

As you see GTD fit
ITM I couldn't read/cognize the other message you sent yesterday where you were writing about mind sweep, was down persons Rene didn't ... "

STN

ITM coming back to this thread.
(where I searched manually - to find this thread - seeing it was the one where you shared Asana with me for first time).

because I just tried printing a certain amount of pages from the digital PDF guide - into A4 paper - and I was thinking to myself that I think it would be best if I literally printed of the whole PDF Asana guide here- because I prefer to have a physical version I can read/note from also.

My next actions are for one final time:

:note/reading over the guide one more time (the digital version) - trying to be as detailed/through as possible, not trying to be quick.

then note/highlight the physical version of a4 pdf pages printed - and store/label thing in type paper wallets (as a reference).

My goal of these two actions - is to have it so on a personal level I feel like I have been able grasp/take as much as possible from the guide (chronologically) - its worth that I write a quick summary?

After I first feel like I just went over my initial attempt of reading the PDF "generically " reading by looking and not able maybe retain as much as the information?

I hope that X persons replies to this

STN

@TimBourne,

Because this is a GTD focused Forum everything posted is for anyone interested in GTD even when addressed to anyone in particular as a respectful courtesy/reply

How do I make myself respectful courtesy?"

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
(where I searched manually - to find this thread - seeing it was the one where you shared Asana with me for first time).

because I just tried printing a certain amount of pages from the digital PDF guide - into A4 paper - and I was thinking to myself that I think it would be best if I literally printed of the whole PDF Asana guide here- because I prefer to have a physical version I can read/note from also.

:note/reading over the guide one more time (the digital version) - trying to be as detailed/through as possible, not trying to be quick.

then note/highlight the physical version of a4 pdf pages printed - and store/label thing in type paper wallets (as a reference).

My goal of these two actions - is to have it so on a personal level I feel like I have been able grasp/take as much as possible from the guide (chronologically) - its worth that I write a quick summary?

After I first feel like I just went over my initial attempt of reading the PDF "generically " reading by looking and not able maybe retain as much as the information?

STN

I did the same thing - printed the guide and worked from that version. I didn't need to take notes, but I enjoyed having a physical copy in that step of my implementation process, as it's easier to jump back and forth in a physical document than in a digital version.

If you feel that you need to write a summary, go ahead, but maybe you should ask the 'why' to see if it's worth spending time on?

I my opinion, these are the essential elements:

1. Get a deep, internalized, understanding of the 5 steps of the workflow

2. Set up a working system with inbox (physical and digital), calendar and list manager (the latter being set up by following the guide)

3. Practice the whole workflow process - even if you feel that your mind sweep is not complete, keep going with the next steps of the workflow process. At some point you will be as complete as you can be - but you will never be 'done', as new things will keep showing up.

Hope this helps!

I did the same thing - printed the guide and worked from that version. I didn't need to take notes, but I enjoyed having a physical copy in that step of my implementation process, as it's easier to jump back and forth in a physical document than in a digital version.

If you feel that you need to write a summary, go ahead, but maybe you should ask the 'why' to see if it's worth spending time on?

I my opinion, these are the essential elements:

1. Get a deep, internalized, understanding of the 5 steps of the workflow

2. Set up a working system with inbox (physical and digital), calendar and list manager (the latter being set up by following the guide)

3. Practice the whole workflow process - even if you feel that your mind sweep is not complete, keep going with the next steps of the workflow process. At some point you will be as complete as you can be - but you will never be 'done', as new things will keep showing up.

Hope this helps!

okay?

1. right okay?

2- yeah maybe - going to the guide on section on e-mail and then calendar is actually where people should start with the guide?

3 - this should come with time?

DROM

MTUEW

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
okay?

1. right okay?

2- yeah maybe - going to the guide on section on e-mail and then calendar is actually where people should start with the guide?

3 - this should come with time?

DROM

MTUEW
Hmmm... Another set of abbreviations that I don't understand...

2. Sounds like a good idea - following the guide chronologically should do the trick

3. Yes, this comes with time - through practice, of course...

Yes (just tasks) like respond to you PM message.

No - you didn't understand. For some reason myself Tim felt like/thought actually it would have been better if I started in the guide with the section "setting up e-mail" and "calendar" as supposed to doing it chronologically - and that is what I am doing right now.

3. Right "

STN

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Yes (just tasks) like respond to you PM message.

No - you didn't understand. For some reason myself Tim felt like/thought actually it would have been better if I started in the guide with the section "setting up e-mail" and "calendar" as supposed to doing it chronologically - and that is what I am doing right now.

3. Right "

STN
As long as you end up with a working system that you feel you can trust, you'll be fine!

STN

" (the digital version) - trying to be as detailed/through as possible, not trying to be quick." ITM reading over this I see no reason to really make as detailed, or through notes as possible, second time reading - I should focus 2nd action here when comes.

Question: is it a problem that I don't feel as if I am fluent with Asana application, don't feel quick using it at all."STN

To the point of Desktop - In managing the organization of my desktop, I leverage a tool named Fences, developed by Objectdock. This application allows me to segment my desktop into various categorized sections, known as "fences", to streamline my workflow and keep essential files and shortcuts within easy reach.

At the top of my desktop, I've established a fence named 'IN'. This serves as my digital inbox, a designated area where files, especially those attached to emails that require further action or inclusion in my Getting Things Done (GTD) workflow, are temporarily stored. It acts as a holding pen for items awaiting processing and categorization.

Directly below the 'IN' fence, there's another called 'AOF' (Areas of Focus). This space is reserved for shortcuts to key documents and resources that are actively in use for managing my areas of focus. It's a strategic repository that helps me maintain quick access to strategic files currently in motion.

Beyond these GTD-oriented fences, I've also created additional sections for different purposes, such as a dedicated fence for my most frequently used application shortcuts. This flexibility allows for a tailored desktop environment that supports my unique workflow and preferences.

One of the standout features of Fences is the ability to designate a default fence. This default area automatically houses any file dragged onto the desktop, ensuring that new items don't clutter my workspace and are instead organized according to my predefined system. They land into IN.

Moreover, Fences offers an exceptional feature for maintaining privacy and minimizing distractions during screen sharing sessions, such as those conducted over a Visio call. With a simple double-click anywhere on the desktop, I can temporarily hide all fences, presenting a clean and uncluttered screen to viewers. A second double-click swiftly restores the fences, bringing my organized desktop back into view.

This application has transformed the way I manage my digital workspace, providing not just an organizational system but also enhancing productivity and focus by keeping essential tools and documents at my fingertips while maintaining a tidy and visually appealing desktop.

ITM

this message quote - was something reoccurring on my mind up to now
like as if it was something on a maybe/someday list?

using type software here inbox for digital PC is something which couldn't hurt me?

I searched fence into browser and

[https://www.stardock.com/products/fences/] comes up - this was product version/link you were referring to right ?

I see it has option "try for free"

and then it costs 10 pounds to use 1 year version.

I wonder how you found out about this soft ware? your only person to mention it here?

When first replied to the message quoted here- I also didn't have that much to say/write? erm - is main purpose of this software just to organize the graphic desktop?

[https://www.stardock.com/products/fences/] the main purpose of this is just organizing files - can you share more about your experience of this software? im not sure have the time to look at all features of it?

NA If you- feel like not satisfied with your answer I could then - try trial myself?

~5 - 10 mins?
~15mins

STN

Y_Lherieau

GTD Connect
ITM

this message quote - was something reoccurring on my mind up to now
like as if it was something on a maybe/someday list?

using type software here inbox for digital PC is something which couldn't hurt me?

I searched fence into browser and

[https://www.stardock.com/products/fences/] comes up - this was product version/link you were referring to right ?

I see it has option "try for free"

and then it costs 10 pounds to use 1 year version.

I wonder how you found out about this soft ware? your only person to mention it here?

When first replied to the message quoted here- I also didn't have that much to say/write? erm - is main purpose of this software just to organize the graphic desktop?

[https://www.stardock.com/products/fences/] the main purpose of this is just organizing files - can you share more about your experience of this software? im not sure have the time to look at all features of it?

NA If you- feel like not satisfied with your answer I could then - try trial myself?

~5 - 10 mins?
~15mins

STN

Indeed, I have been using Fences from Stardock, specifically the product you found at https://www.stardock.com/products/fences/.

My journey with Fences began years ago when I delved into the Getting Things Done (GTD) methodology. At that time, I was on a quest to declutter and organize the look and feel of my desktop environment. This led me to conduct searches on Google, where I eventually discovered Fences.

Because I started using it several years ago, I'm not on a yearly subscription plan; the pricing model might have changed to what you see today—a 10-pound yearly fee after a free trial.

Your contemplation about whether this software could be a 'maybe/someday' item on your list resonates with the process many go through when considering new tools or software. It often sits in our mental backlog until we revisit it, sometimes prompted by a need or a recommendation.

Regarding the main purpose of Fences, it significantly goes beyond just organizing desktop icons. It allows for creating "fences" to categorize icons and files, introducing the functionality of tabs and object docks. These features are instrumental for accessing URLs directly from the desktop in a tidy and efficient manner, greatly enhancing productivity by making navigation and file management more intuitive.
The ability to quickly hide or show groups of icons with a double-click is another feature I find particularly useful, as it reduces clutter while keeping everything within easy reach.

Additionally, I've incorporated Stardock's Start button replacement for Windows into my setup. The deployment of Microsoft's tiles environment in recent versions of Windows has never impressed me. I find it cumbersome and less intuitive compared to the traditional Start menu. Stardock’s solution effectively restores the Start button to its classic functionality, akin to what users were accustomed to prior to Windows 10.

This personalization aligns with my workflow and aesthetic preferences, making navigation and access to programs and files more streamlined.

If you're intrigued but unsure whether Fences is the right fit for you, trying the free trial could be a good next step. It's a low-commitment way to explore its features and see how it meshes with your workflow and desktop management preferences.

Given the time constraints you mentioned, starting with a brief exploration—perhaps setting aside 5 to 15 minutes to experiment with the trial—could give you a good initial sense of its capabilities and whether it suits your needs.

Should you decide to explore further or have specific questions about its features, I'd be happy to share more about my experience or assist with any queries you might have.