Native Non Web Based iPhone 3G GTD apps

nfg05

Registered
First post, searched for threads but didn't find one focused on non web-based stuff. Basically, I'm just getting started with GTD and want a digital system for managing my lists. I'm a college student that doesn't like to work at a desk at home and am always on the go. I'd like everything to be in the iPhone and only the iPhone, but my current solution (vitalist) is slowing me down because even under the best circumstances there's a 1-2 second load time for each page and many times I just don't have good web connectivity.

I've seen the proposal to do everything with standard iPhone apps and e-mailing, but it doesn't seem simple enough for my liking. Basically, I want the vitalist experience natively without needing an internet connection. Free apps are always nice, but I'd be willing to pay up to $10 for a good native solution.

mcogilvie

Registered
nfg05;60493 said:
I've seen the proposal to do everything with standard iPhone apps and e-mailing, but it doesn't seem simple enough for my liking. Basically, I want the vitalist experience natively without needing an internet connection. Free apps are always nice, but I'd be willing to pay up to $10 for a good native solution.

Todo from Appigo, 10 bucks, good basic todo list functionality, could just use native but I recommend you sync it to Toodledo for free. Omnifocus is probably overkill for you, and the full Mac-iPhone-MobileMe Omnifocus experience is pricey for a college student.

Kent Valentine

Registered
Mac...

Good point about ToDo from Appigo...I saw that the other day and thought it was great as well. I completely forgot about seeing it.

Kent

Jim

GTD Ninja
Easy Task Manager is free, a native iPhone app, syncs to the web, and it has ($20) Mac and Windows clients, if you need them.

Things has a $10 native iPhone app that syncs with its Mac native client through wifi. Although still a work in progress, it has a zen-like interface that does what you need, yet prevents fidgeting/procrastination (a fault of most of the other apps).

And OmniFocus has a very aggressive development cycle. It is a bit more expensive (especially if you buy the Mac desktop version), but it has a number of refinements (like using GPS to automatically choose your active context, and an omnipresent Home button, that I use all of the time). You should watch the video on its website to see if it is right for you.

There are even more apps that can manage lists and tasks for the iPhone. Just don't get lost among the wealth of options (as opposed to settling on a trusted one and then getting things done).

Hope that helps!

Jim

nfg05

Registered
Thanks for all the helpful responses. For clarification, I only have an XP laptop but don't want or need the capability to sync/manage lists with a computer. OmniFocus on the iPhone seems set up for syncing with the Mac program rather than being an enclosed, standalone solution on the iPhone.

I'll probably try ETM first seeing as it's free and then spring the $10 for Things, since it looks really nice from the screenshots.

Jim

GTD Ninja
I would recommend a system that syncs, as I've had to wipe my iPhone G3 once, and was able to restore my GTD data easily, due to the sync (I ended up losing the high scores in my games).

OmniFocus can be used as a standalone iPhone program. It is accentuated by the desktop version, but it isn't a necessity.

Let us know how your experiences go.

Jim

SalesDave

Registered
Etm

I have been using East task Manager for a few weeks now and it works very well. They had problems with crashing early on but it has been very stable for me. The only drawback is that it does not have an alert (alarm) feature. You need to check it to see your tasks. I strongly recommend it.

Dave

acedia

Registered
Easy Task Manager: Alerts

I am currently testing the demo version of Easy Task Manager for the Mac. It is true there is no ability to set alerts, as such, but you can sync with iCal and then set alerts from iCal to your email, which works pretty well.

My general impression is that ETM is a very smooth running app, extremely GTD friendly, with its standard Project and Context classification, plus priority settings and timed views (Today/Tomorrow/Next Seven Days) which give a lot of extra flexibility. I am surprised that it isn't mentioned more often in GTD forums.

It's true it doesn't have as many bells and whistles as apps like Omnifocus and Things, but I see that as an advantage - lots of extra features tend to be either an obstacle or a distraction - and its lower price make it a much better value option for most people. I think it's a keeper!

alsa

Registered
Can I ask why you need alerts? I didn't read anywhere about alerts in any of GTD literature - be it from David Allen, Jason Womack, or other past and present DavidCo. employees.

Isn't one of GTD's postulates to look at your lists when you can and when you should? Do you really need an alarm to beep at you? I am simply curious as I have been seeing this "alert/alarm" issue come up often lately. Do you mean a visual/audible alarm?

Oogiem

Registered
alsa;65922 said:
Can I ask why you need alerts?

I use alerts to remind me of hard landscape appointments that I may miss because I am not aware of the time passing or to give me time to get ready or drive to the location of the appointment.

I also use alerts to trigger change of contexts I don't stay in one all day and let something else slide. Yes it's easy to get stuck in one context and forget about critical things that also have to be completed.

For me an alert is a part of being comfortable that my system won't let me let something slip.

sdann

Registered
I regularly use alerts on my palm too. When I set appointments, I'll include an alarm that gives me time to grab my stuff and to get there. I'm so much more on time now. I also set alerts for remembering to bring out the trash for pick-up twice a week. It's silly, but that's one of the things I would forget otherwise. Even setting an alarm 5 minutes before a webinar or web meeting (for example the GTD teleseminars & the virtual study groups) lets me not watch the clock. I don't overuse it, but for those few things that are important to me the alerts work great.

hgill

Registered
Toodledo

Hallo,

may I recommend toodledo.com it is webbased and free.
It also has a native iPhone app ($7,99 i think), which syncs to the website.
You can set it to sync on startup and close, but also to sync manualy.

Having things backedup in the web is important, when you loose your phone,
you don't want to loose all the data.

Getting a new phone is simple (but not allways cheap) get back your data is expensive/imossible.

just my 2 cents.

greetings from Germany

Huibert Gill

DanW

Registered
Take a look at Nubi Do

It's a new app. I just downloaded it a few days ago and am very impressed. It needs a few more recurrence options though but other than that a great app.