Need digital voice recorder advice

I think I'm going to take DA's suggestions and get a voice recorder; I can see how handy it would be to have one.

Ideally, I'd like one that I can connect to my PC and copy my voice recordings right to my PC as .wav files (or any other audio format, it really doesn't matter).

Can anyone suggest such a device?

Jason

A

Anonymous

Vioce Recorders

Olympus as a digital voice recorder that will link to your PC by a USB cable. The recordings are in a proprietary format but Olympus gives away software that allows them to be played on any PC. They make a version of the recorder that records in Windows Media Format, but this is currently on sale only in Japan.

There is a link to their webpage. I've seen the recorder on sale for about $110. To use this link you have to paste it in so there is no line break.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_product_lobbypage.asp?l=1&bc=11&p=25&product=859

Scot

C

Cikub

This might be over the top, but if you are in the market for a new PDA, some Palms and most PocketPCs have built-in voice recorders. I can't remember what the "move to desktop" features were of the PPCs, but I currently have a Palm Tungsten T and it has a built in voice recorder that automatically syncs to the desktop, jusk like any other appointment, task, or memo.

C

aderoy

Registered
Voice Recorders

Of course if a analog recorder (micro or mini cassette) is available you can use the .wav recorder from within Windows to save the information.

Since this would be in real time this is slower than USB.

At one point Dictaphone did have a WalkAbout and Trek recorders with rather good software. ebay?

Sony does have two / three units for this also. They can use the MemoryStick for data storage.

One last idea, there are minidisc units with record. This will allow for store of 70 to 300 minutes (depending on compression used) to a small 2 inch minidisc. These have the same type of benefits as the digital 'tape' recorders (fast search, cue markers, titles etc). These do have USB, software for the PC etc.

At this time I am using a Sony minidisc with a small mike in the car. This way I can listen to audio on a long trip, and record a note if needed on that disc or swap for the 'mind dump' disc.

C

CosmoGTD

Digital Voice Recorders

Digital Voice Recorder
i would recommend to anyone wanting a voice recorder, to consider getting a mp3 player, with a voice recorder in it too. This way you can use it in the car, and jogging, or wherever. (you can also get a car kit to play music through your car speakers).
For instance, if you are jogging listening to music, you can stop and record and idea, then when you get back to your computer, you just put those audio files into your DIGITAL INBOX, and process them like anything else.

Get a nice SMALL mp3 player/digital recorder.
I would NOT get a tape recorder in this day and age. Then you have to covert this HUGE WAV file to a digital file in real time. If you get a nice Digital Voice Recorder/mp3 player, you just drag a drop them.
Also, stay away from the *proprietary formats". Just try to use pure mp3, or maybe WMA. What will you do with some weird format 10 yrs from now if you archive your files?
I use mp3, or mp3 PRO.
Coz

T

Techstyle

Digital Voice Recorders

You could try one of the models from Denpa. The VT-50 Digital Voice Recorder or the MP-38 Digital Voice Recorder. Both products are available with 1Gb memory, the VT-50 records in MP3 format giving 283 hours recording for 1Gb of memory, MP-38 records in WAV allowing 141 hours for the same memory size.

Both have FM radio's and can be used with the Digital Voice Recorder Wireless Microphone and the Digital Voice Recorder AC adapter. Both Digital Voice Recorders come with an adapter to allow the device to be used for recording telephone calls (non-PBX type).

Manchu

Registered
I also was seaching for such a software tool and found some really good ones. I'm staying with MP3 Recorder Studio and never regret my choice. The program really easy to use, you can record directly to mp3 or wav, no problem.