New here :) GTD buddies to get better together

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss the GTD Methodology' started by Serenas, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Serenas

Serenas Registered

Hello everyone!

I've been happy to discover GTD just this year and I've been immersing myself in videos, podcasts, forums and trying to get better at it.
    This forum is amazing and I've found very valuable informations to build my system and it's great to hear about questions and supportive solutions.

I've been practicing GTD for 9 months now and I'm extremely focused on getting great results.
    I know David talks about at least 2 years to really implement every new habits and I'm thinking that a group of positive friends can be quite motivating and could help us improve faster...
    So, GTD friends, if you would like to chat, exchange advices and give us encouragement we could create a space for that something like a Google hangout or meet via Skype or such maybe once a week.
    And if that already exists please point me in the right directions and give me the details to reach you! :)

Thanks to all
    ciao
    Serenas

Longstreet likes this.
  2. Longstreet

Longstreet Registered

Professor of Microbiology & Infectious Diseases
    I would love to chat with you about GTD! Let's see how we can connect. Cheers!

3. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

Good job! 9 months = 39 Weekly Reviews, am I right?

AnneMKE likes this.
  4. SBH

SBH Registered

I’m new to GTD or at least newly trying to start it up again. I am in the process of setting up a system in my home and office. I have the general reference files set up and corralled then processed at home office. I also did the same at work but what I am finding is I am getting confused when for example I come across a folder I have put together material on for a project that is underway, I ask is it actionable, Yes, takes more than 2 minutes yes, I then get spun up on that ok this is part of an ongoing project, I probably have several actions tied to this, can’t do them now, then what do I do with this folder and do I just put it on a next action list or project (follow up with xyz as a task)? I have created an in box and then 2 boxes one for paper material I want to come back to later and for the above example I am throwing it into a box with a lable on the folder so I quickly know wher it is, I feel like I am missing something or confused about how to handle projects that have actions and how to manage multiple projects, reference material and the difference when processing about what is truly an action or something that is part of a project that has actions within it........sorry if this sounds all over the place.......any thoughts or ideas that could help???

5. Gardener

Gardener Registered

(Editing to make it clear who I'm responding to.)

Well, I wouldn't say that the folder itself is actionable, unless the action is "file this".

The project is actionable. The folder is, I think, project support material for the project.

If the project already exists in your lists, and already has at least one next action, then I think that there's nothing to do with the folder except, again, perhaps file it.

If the project doesn't exist in your lists, then I would add it to your lists, add at least one next action, and again file the folder.

For the paper material you want to come back to later, I see that as a project "Create reference filing system" or, if the system exists, "Catch up with my filing."

I'll get specific, to have something to point to in case this is a "No, that's not what I mean at all" situation.

Let's imagine that you're planning your sister's birthday party. For the past week you've had a vague intention of making that a project, and during that week you've thrown, into your In box, some cards for caterers and bakeries, and a PostIt with the title of a book about entertaining, and a recipe that you tore out of a magazine.

Now it's time for your weekly review. When you pick up the card for Jodie's Bakery, you say, "Oh, right, party." You create a project "Party for Annabel". You enter a Next Action of "brainstorm about party." You create and label a file folder. (You wouldn't necessarily do this for every project, but since you remember throwing more than one thing in the In Box for this project, you do it for this one.) As you're going through your in box, each item relevant to the party goes into the folder. When your review is done, you put that folder and any others that you've created either into your filing system, or in, maybe, a "Current project support material" tray.

Now that "brainstorm" next action is what will trigger work on the project. The material in the folder may or may not be relevant to that action, but you think that it might be relevant to later actions, and that's why you created the folder.

6. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

I woudn't say it better!