New In Conversation with Robyn Scott

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hello GTD Connect members,

David has recorded a terrific In Conversation with Robyn Scott. She's an author, social entrepreneur, and already a recognized leader in global change. You'll enjoy her thoughts on how GTD has had an impact on her work, especially her new and effective technique for motivating ourselves to actually take the next actions that we define.

Here's the link. Enjoy!

https://secure.davidco.com/connect/multimedia/audio.php?titleid=601&trackid=1224

ArcCaster

Registered
Emotional Contexts

I like this interview very much.

Just went through my next action lists and created emotional contexts for them. Most of them feel very 'conservative' -- need to try them and think about them. More later.

Rob

later -- I use Outlook Tasks for my next actions. Tasks allows me to put a next action into as many categories as I want. So, I can give it a context category AND an emotional category -- then, I can look up actions by context OR by emotion.

ArcCaster

Registered
Contexts Like Areas of Focus

Robyn talks about starting her day by blocking out four quadrants (business, other business, others, self) and tries to identify and do tasks in each quadrant every day.

My company gives us laptops -- when in the office, we connect into the office environment; when at home, into the home environment; when on the road, we still connect to the net; at meetings and trainings, the computer comes with us. Phones also go with us everywhere. So, as location becomes less important, areas of focus become more important. What actions do I want to take for my primary work focus, for other 'worklike' focuses, for others, and for self.

I've already started breaking up my @computer context -- now, it is @computer_work and @computer_general. Robyn's approach takes this one step farther.

I think it reflects the inceasing flexibility we have acquired in the last couple decades due to advances in mobile technology.

Rob