Non-Phone PDA with good calendar to do list

janet444

Registered
Are there any non-phone PDAs anymore? I've been struggling to get my old Palm m500 to work but to no avail.

I do NOT want a phone PDA because I'm not willing to pay extra charges when all I want is the same calendar and to do list capability I once had with my Palm m500.

What I really want is a good calendar that I can use on my computer and sync to on a portable device when I make appointments.

And I want a good to do list.

That's all.

Seems like it's hard to find simplicity these days. ;)

The iPod Touch might be a possibility, I'm not sure.

If anyone knows of any non-phone PDAs, please let me know.

Thank you!

Janet

plaid

Registered
I've been thinking about the ipod touch as well. My Palm TX just died again and I'm not sending it away for repairs a third time. I've been able to get my Zire72 running, but it still crashes a lot etc. The touch looks pretty good with something like Pocketinformant for a calendar replacement. Now all I need is some cash :) Anyone else using this software with the touch - any comments on it?

http://www.pocketinformant.com/products_info.php?p_id=pocketinformant_iphone

Oogiem

Registered
janet444;76939 said:
What I really want is a good calendar that I can use on my computer and sync to on a portable device when I make appointments.

And I want a good to do list.

I'm using an iPod Touch for that. Omnifocus is the ideal list tool and syncs with my Mac via bonjour over private wifi I set up so it only happens when I'm at home. I use iCal and it is fine for my needs, I have different calendars for various contexts and I keep track of everything I do fairly well. I sync it via wire using iTunes. I'm cloud averse. :)

graphicdetails

Registered
A few years ago I was in the same boat as you. I had been using an AT&T prepaid phone for a few years and also carrying my non-phone pda as well. I grew tired of carrying both. I wanted to combine my phone and pda without paying ridiculous monthly fees.

Here is what I did. I bought an unlocked Treo 650 online. Then I simply inserted the sim card from my prepaid phone into the Treo. Now I still have a prepaid phone plan and my pda all-in-one, without having to purchase the data plan.

clango

Registered
Ipaq 210 seems interesting. So thank you to suggest it!;)

Even if I'd like to have an easier PDA to be sync with the basic laptop. And cheaper. Infact at the cost of an IPAQ 210 we could buy a smartphone, with the advantage to send and receive email wherever you are.

And what about Palm Pre?

Iphone or Ipod, it seem to me, work only with Mac. Could we synch them with outlook also?

mcogilvie

Registered
clango;76956 said:
Iphone or Ipod, it seem to me, work only with Mac. Could we synch them with outlook also?

Many people use iphones and ipod touches with non-mac systems. One way to sync to Outlook is via Toodledo.

humblepie

Registered
I been using the iPod Touch 2G as a PDA and i think its hard for you to go wrong with it.

One advantage i see is that if you subscirbe to the iPhone ecosystem, you are subscribing to one where there are alot of developers producing alot of good productivity apps. they even have one section in the app store for productivity apps!

Also, i got a feeling that Apple is gonna leverage on iPhone's success and put this OS in everything. This means that not just the Apps are cheaper than lets say windows mobile, but you can bring them over to other good hardware like iPad and you dun have to pay additional for these software and enjoy free upgrades with software fixes. getting new versions on the iPod is such a breeze that it is some subtle factors that many do not notice.

Here is a set of articles i written about how i applied GTD on the iPod Touch

Also you might want to check out some productivity applications on the iPhone ecosystem

Best Regards.

gspeterson

Registered
Non phone PDA

Hello,

The Palm system is the best to my mind, still. The Palm TX, if it's still available is a great organizer and it surfs the web easily if you have wi-fi nearby. Ta-da, no charges. I have a windows mobile 6 (yuk) company phone now, and they pay an extra $30 a month. You can get internet anywhere, but there's wi-fi in tons of places now, so who really cares.
P.S. I have a Palm TX that I can sell you, if you want it.

rdgeorge

Registered
An iTouch with Omnifocus would be ideal for GTD. See white paper on Omnifocus in the Davidco store.

I have a Palm T5 that I will give you...........

rdgeorge

humblepie

Registered
thought that is a great idea in itself. ipad is gonna be one good device for productivity. but i doubt it will fit into your pocket well.

mmurray

Registered
humblepie;77294 said:
thought that is a great idea in itself. ipad is gonna be one good device for productivity. but i doubt it will fit into your pocket well.

Ah good point. OK if you are a kangaroo!

Michael