Note-Taking Software

A

Anonymous

I've been playing with OneNote and GoBinder as a collection and note taking tool. My sense is that they are better suited to TabletPC users.
I've also played around with Infoselect.

What other software tools are people using to capture notes that you want to retreive later?
CK

A

Anonymous

keynote

:shock: So how does one learn how to use keynote? The user groups have been closed, any pointers would be great.

M

mochant

Re: Note-Taking Software

Anonymous said:
I've been playing with OneNote and GoBinder as a collection and note taking tool. My sense is that they are better suited to TabletPC users.
I've also played around with Infoselect.

What other software tools are people using to capture notes that you want to retreive later?
CK
I agreee with your assessment of GoBinder - it's best suited for a Tablet user. OneNote, OTOH, is an excellent information manager on a conventional laptop or desktop as it's not as ink-centric and better integrated with the rest of Office (if you use those apps).

I've been demoing InfoSelect and it's pretty overwhelming - it tries to do everything (and probably can as it has a large and loyal user base) but I found it very complex. I've heard similar things about Ecco which I have not used.

I think ultimately it depends on how you gather information and your own personal work style. The notebook metaphor in GoBinder and OneNote is pretty intuitive for a lot of people. Others perfer the outliner approach. You'll need to decide for yourself what "feels" best.

nw

Registered
I'm currently using OneNote. A few more options that may be of interest:

Outliners - In addition, to those already mentioned, you could consider Treepad or MyInfo.

Wikis-based - WikidPad, Note Studio. PersonalBrain may also fit into this category, albeit with a more graphical interface.

If you're using a Mac, Tinderbox is a possibility (PC version sometime?).

A

Anonymous

Mac Note Software

Tinderbox will stun you into inaction more quickly than most other software packages for the mac. Too arcane and complicated with no real map to the analog world of taking notes.

I've tried them all and for my money -- since I bought it -- the best is, far and away, NoteTaker.

I won't go into all the reasons why except to say it can map directly to how you once took notes on pads but still hold and manage many gigs of data and remain searchable.

30 day demo at:
http://www.aquaminds.com/

A

Anonymous

Re: Mac Note Software

Van der Leun said:
I've tried them all and for my money -- since I bought it -- the best is, far and away, NoteTaker.
You should mention that NoteTaker is only available for Mac OS X platforms. WinXP users are out of luck.

A

Anonymous

Tinderbox

Tinderbox can be really easy to use. It's also got tons of power -- and potential complexity -- if you need the power and the don't mind the complexity.

At one extreme, you can use Tinderbox as a big whiteboard -- a nearly infinite whiteboard, in fact, where every project on the board can contain it's own whiteboard. You just add tasks and notes, and drag them where you want 'em to go. Easy.

But, if you want, you can do elaborate thing. Agents that constantly scan input for key phrases, so everything about the G7 project is automatically URGENT and LAVENDAR. Inheritance, so all your HomeTasks inherit the properties of PersonalTasks.

One nice thing about Tinderbox is that it gives you great leverage for a few thousand notes -- a terrific match for the number of tasks most people seem to have.

Disclaimer:I work for the manufacturer.

A

Anonymous

Re: Evernote Beta released

mochant said:
ckennedy said:
Evernote has released a beta www.evernote.com

Looks preety cool!

It is very cool. I've posted a first look review on my Tablet PC blog.

It indeed very cool. You can drag/copy/paste stuff for all sort of applicaions (but not all) - it gives you a link back to it.

EN-screenshot-1-small.gif

You can see from the image - just append various notes to it.

And its free, and registration is optional - www.evernote.com :D

E

eno

I've checked through a few of the links provided here. Could someone suggest some good note taking software for Palm PDAs, please? I've worked with Notepad (the one that's in the ROM of Palm OS [I think] 5+), but it's a bit limited about e.g. choice of colors & color combinations, scrolling (only vertically) etc. - what I'd like would be

- large space to scroll around in
- various zoom levels to get the big picture
- use of various colours possible
- inserting text fields (of printed text, rather than handwritten text, that is) anywhere
- possibly integration of mindmapping
- various shapes like circles, rectangles etc. that can be placed via e.g. drag and drop

J

jschall

dNote

I've been using dNote for 3 years, now.

It runs on the PC desktop and/or the wince/ppc PDA, and the two are synchronized via ActiveSync.

Notes are saved into "Categories". Categories can be created on the fly, so they could be Projects or Contexts.

Notes in a Category can be of different types - typed text, ink (graphical), bulleted list (outline), or checklist (next actions!)

Alarms/reminders can be set for any note (ticklers!).

About the only thing it doesn't do is allow linking from one note to another.

http://www.derago.com/n/index.htm

- Jeff

N

Nikita

I don't have a Tablet PC, but OneNote works great for me so far. You can outline to your heart's content. Or not. It serves a multitude of purposes.

S

samb

Hi,

Came across a product called Livepad at http://www.seeplain.com seems to have similar functionality to OneNote but is far cheaper at $39 (with also a discount to make it $29).

I dont have a tablet PC. so its great for me because it emulates the Write and Draw anywhere feel without a Tablet. I have been using it a lot recently and works well especially the screen clippings from the Web to go with your notes.

samb