@ Office - many contexts

A

Anonymous

When I am in the office I can access a number of contexts - calls, pc, pc-online and @office. I use Bonsai and found it difficult to make a NA choice when I have to review different categories seperately using filters. I have therefore set up a filter for @office - overview. When I select this I see all my NAs regardless of context - that can be acheived in the office. This may contravene the 'hard edges' approach but it seems a great way to review next action choices moment to moment

S

smnevans

Re: @ Office - many contexts

neil0007 said:
When I select this I see all my NAs regardless of context - that can be acheived in the office. This may contravene the 'hard edges' approach but it seems a great way to review next action choices moment to moment
In The Office seems like a pretty hard edge. If you are seeing all of the things that can be done in the place you are now then your lists are working for you.

apinaud

Registered
This is my approach to @Work...

I have only 2 List in reference with my work, @Work and @WorkComputer

In the first goes everything that imply job, and can only or need to be done at work, fax, call, email, write, review, send, anything that I need to do at work, in my workstation or with work tools or is better if I am at my workstation.
My @WorkComputer, is the list that require Connection to the Work Network, since I am not able to do it from home, for me that required be there, things that need that goes there, other computer things goes in my computer list, because can be done, at work, at home, at the cafe, or any other place with the laptop.

I use to have that problem, I think was listening to GTD Fast! where I understand that my Work goes @Work, my calls maybe can contain Work related, but then do not need me to be at the office, for example if I have something to talk to my Boss, that goes into @Work List, because the issues on the agenda generally require me to be at work.

I understand this make the @work list get bigger, but I know exactly what is my work.

If I get idle or tired, then I change to other lists, that can be done at work but not necesary are work, for example, call Joe (Other department person at work) to define business trip... In this case this iten is in my actual @call list, but in order to define the things I do not need to be at work, I can do it in traffic (I live in LA, therefore that is a big part of my day) or at home, or anywhere else, then is in my @Calls list.

I hope this helps

Esquire

Registered
Neil:

I use the plain vanilla Palm desktop and I too have grappled with this issue.

When I'm at my desk (which is probably 75% of the time or more) I have access to my computer, my phone, my colleagues (for whom I track agendas), my work files and my @anywhere stuff. Therefore, at least 5 discrete context lists are in play. That was way too many lists to click back and forth between in order to assess priorities.

So what I did was name the lists as follows:

"-agenda, -phone, -wherever, -work, ~computer"

Then, when in my office at my desk, I use the "All" view in the ToDo application. Because of the way I've labelled these lists, everything that's in play when I'm in the office appears first in that view.

Ambar

Registered
how I do it

I use Life Balance's ability to include places (contexts) in other places. For example, I have contexts: @office @network @computer (needs the computer but not the Internet connection) @calls and so on. I then created a place: !Work Actions which includes all of those. I find that sometimes I want just to look at @office (eliminates a lot of 'personal' NAs that I find distracting), and sometimes I want the whole darn list.

A

Anonymous

Esquire said:
Neil:

... So what I did was name the lists as follows:

"-agenda, -phone, -wherever, -work, ~computer"

Then, when in my office at my desk, I use the "All" view in the ToDo application. Because of the way I've labelled these lists, everything that's in play when I'm in the office appears first in that view.

This is a great idea! It really helps. Now I have a separate list for Desk, Network and Briefcase but still see them all in a row. These contexts are usually in the same place but if I need a list of things to do when I'm at another workstation or out at a hearing, I can get it.

Thanks.