OmniFocus Evernote Linking: Brilliant Flash of the Obvious

robfrommars

Registered
Greetings fellow GTD'ers...

I may have just had a brilliant flash of the obvious, but thought I'd share this quick tip none the less. I'm a HUGE OmniFocus fan for managing my lists. However, Evernote is where I keep all my reference materials and working files for projects. I found OmniFocus too cumbersome for storing reference documents (attaching files slows Omni down, and linking documents to a local folder doesn't work for me as I use several Macs so I like to have things stored in the cloud).

So...after several years of using OmniFocus and Evernote...I just discovered you can drag Evernote entries into your OmniFocus tasks to create Hyperlinks. So if you're on a particular task in OmniFocus, you can have a link (or links) within that task that will pull up any note in Evernote. Even if that note changed locations within Evernote (say you switched notebooks). Slick!

But wait, there's more:)

The hyperlinking between OmniFocus and Evernote also works on your iPhone.

Sorry if this tip is too obvious. As a long time user of both applications, I'm a little embarrassed I just discovered this now.

Cheers,
Rob DeMars

mthar1

Registered
robfrommars;94659 said:
Greetings fellow GTD'ers...

I may have just had a brilliant flash of the obvious, but thought I'd share this quick tip none the less. I'm a HUGE OmniFocus fan for managing my lists. However, Evernote is where I keep all my reference materials and working files for projects. I found OmniFocus too cumbersome for storing reference documents (attaching files slows Omni down, and linking documents to a local folder doesn't work for me as I use several Macs so I like to have things stored in the cloud).

So...after several years of using OmniFocus and Evernote...I just discovered you can drag Evernote entries into your OmniFocus tasks to create Hyperlinks. So if you're on a particular task in OmniFocus, you can have a link (or links) within that task that will pull up any note in Evernote. Even if that note changed locations within Evernote (say you switched notebooks). Slick!

But wait, there's more:)

The hyperlinking between OmniFocus and Evernote also works on your iPhone.

Sorry if this tip is too obvious. As a long time user of both applications, I'm a little embarrassed I just discovered this now.

Cheers,
Rob DeMars

Thanks! That's a great tip that saved me some research time.

chipjoyce

Registered
Omnifocus and linking, generally

Did you all know you can right-click almost anything in Omnifocus and copy as a link? When you paste it elsewhere, it is a hot-link.

One way I use this is to create links to specific items in Omnifocus in my mindmaps.

mthar1

Registered
chipjoyce;94868 said:
Did you all know you can right-click almost anything in Omnifocus and copy as a link? When you paste it elsewhere, it is a hot-link.

One way I use this is to create links to specific items in Omnifocus in my mindmaps.

Another good one! Thanks!