One thing that David Allen says that loses me a bit...

OF user

Registered
I often hear David refer to having the right map in order to be properly engaged with the present. At first, I thought he was talking about mind maps but now it seems to represents a tool, a system, a checklist. I guess I am really not sure. Can someone explain to me what David is referring to by indicating that you need the right map.

johnmcoulter

Registered
Appropriate Level of Perspective

OF user;107649 said:
I often hear David refer to having the right map in order to be properly engaged with the present. At first, I thought he was talking about mind maps but now it seems to represents a tool, a system, a checklist. I guess I am really not sure. Can someone explain to me what David is referring to by indicating that you need the right map.

It's just a matter of having the appropriate level of perspective. If you're in Florida and thinking about Oregon, you need a map of the United States. But if you're on 42nd Street in Manhattan and trying to find a restaurant, a map of the United States is of very little use to you. Just try to make sure the mental 'map' you are using to take in and process a given situation is the right one to have for where you are and for what you need to do.

John

mcogilvie

Registered
johnmcoulter;107652 said:
It's just a matter of having the appropriate level of perspective. If you're in Florida and thinking about Oregon, you need a map of the United States. But if you're on 42nd Street in Manhattan and trying to find a restaurant, a map of the United States is of very little use to you. Just try to make sure the mental 'map' you are using to take in and process a given situation is the right one to have for where you are and for what you need to do.

An excellent explanation. Just to bring it home, all the parts of gtd, the workflow diagram, the natural planning model, the horizons of focus, and so on, are "maps" in that general sense.

TesTeq

Registered
A map is a symbol of a total situational awarness.

OF user;107649 said:
At first, I thought he was talking about mind maps but now it seems to represents a tool, a system, a checklist.

Not a mind map, not a tool, not a system, not a checklist.

A map is a symbol of a total situational awarness - you know where you are and where all your life's bits and pieces are.

manuelhe

Registered
I think you are correct about the mind maps. Tools, checklists, planners. They are all different views about the same thing. If you think about it in terms of mind maps it could mean having a sequential progression of steps to get from where you are to where you want to be. (ie youre mind map has a connected set of items from current state to goal.

Lets say you wanted to build a deck, It wouldn't help to to go to the hardware store and start buying supplies unless you had already drawn up plans, a budget, and obteined the necessary permits.

having lists means you've already created the map, the lists just help you remember the stops along the way.

cwoodgold

Registered
johnmcoulter;107652 said:
If you're in Florida and thinking about Oregon, you need a map of the United States. But if you're on 42nd Street in Manhattan and trying to find a restaurant, a map of the United States is of very little use to you.

John

That's a great explanation of Horizons of Focus.

DavidAllen

GTD Connect
What I mean by "maps"

Any tool used to orient yourself. Where am I relative to today's commitments? (Map = calendar.) What do I need to be aware of, as I meet with my boss? (Map = agenda list.) What should I know or be reminded of about the family vacation? (Maps = travel checklist, calendar of travel events, any plans or details about the content to review.) Where am I about my lifestyle and career right now? (Map = Vision Horizons of Focus.) What do I need from the farmer's market? (Map = physical walkways of the market.)

Get the idea?

David

clango

Registered
TesTeq;107655 said:
Not a mind map, not a tool, not a system, not a checklist.

A map is a symbol of a total situational awarness - you know where you are and where all your life's bits and pieces are.

....and looking at the map you have also an orientation. You know where you like to go!

I think this is the real meaning of the map