Organize your daily notes!

A

alisa

SunnyNotes is a small and robust notes organizer. You can quickly add new notes, edit existing notes and search through them.

How many times you needed a web address, an email address of friend or a complicated link or even a phone number and you started to search it on your folders and files or through your notebooks?

Now you have this chance with SunnyNotes. To see what is really all about please visit SunnyNotes site : http://www.sunnynotes.com

Denver Dave

Registered
Notes software can be very helpful and most are very fast. I've used InfoSelect for a decade and easily handles everything I've put into it. However, while also great for contacts, it is not the best for Contact Management where we have related records and history.

So, I'm trying to integrate my notes, contacts and contact management (appointments, todos) in one package. Choice of the moment is http://forum-chaos.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=6 and I'm frequently trying new approaches - I have one of most contact management applications.

I don't know how InfoSelect (which I love) compares to Sunnynotes, but InfoSelect is more expensive ( www.miclog.com ) and on the version that I have, I have not been able to easily do tables of data where I can sort by the column like we can do with Excel.

Thanks.

S

StuGib

I was looking for something similar recently and looked at the following, which seem to do similar to sunnynotes, but most are cheaper or look to have more features (I'd like something that could maintain the formatting of pasted text (including images from websites if poss, and store images within the tree):

Anynotes: http://www.anynotes.com/index.htm
Black Hole Oragnizer: http://www.lincolnbeach.com/blackhole.asp
Easynotes: http://www.rawos.com/easynotes/
Jot+: http://www.kingstairs.com/jot/
My Notes Center: http://www.mynotescenter.com/
Notes Browser: http://www.notesbrowser.com/
Whizfolders: http://whizfolders.com/
GoldenSectionNotes: http://www.tgslabs.com/en/gsnotes/index.php
Evernote: http://www.evernote.com

In the end none of them really handled copy&pasting web pages nicely, except for Evernote which I haven't got round to exploring its organising capabilities.

For now, I'm sticking with Bonsai to hold text notes, with Google Desktop Search if I want to search for text within outlines.

Stuart

GTD Wannabe

Registered
You've got to spend some time exploring EverNote :) ! The concept of having one note placed in multiple categories, the ability to automatically categorize (tag) notes, and the category intersection panel are all priceless. I was a big fan of TreePad (similar to the sunny notes spam above) but EverNote allows for so much more flexibility when it comes to organizing.

M

m_s

All of those notes programs look good, Stuart - thanks for sharing what you found. I've recently tried OneNote (again), and really like the look of it, but didn't find it as useful as Evernote in the end. I'm stil new to EN, but there are a few great sites with templates, etc., especially GTDwannabe's blog at http://gtdwannabe.blogspot.com/ The best thing about Evernote in my opinion is the 'Add to Evernote' extension for Firefox, which allow you to clip sections of a webpage, or the entire page, at the click of a button.

What I particularly like from your list is Anynote's feature for syncing with PocketPC, which neither EN or OneNote does satisfactorily (EN not at all, ON only in part).

Thanks again for sharing your research.

S

StuGib

GTD Wannabe said:
...(similar to the sunny notes spam above) ....

Spam?! Spam? :-o I'd never have guessed when I put together a list of better, cheaper alternatives ;-)

I'll make configuring Evernote my new year's resolution.

Stuart

GTD Wannabe

Registered
Stuart, my spam comment was not related in any way to your nicely put together list of note-taking programs. It was aimed directly at the "sunny notes" post that started this thread. Does it not read like a commercial? Especially considering that the poster is a newbie with 4 posts under their belt, three of which extoll the virtues of this previously-unheard-of software.

S

StuGib

GTD Wannabe said:
Stuart, my spam comment was not related in any way to your nicely put together list of note-taking programs. It was aimed directly at the "sunny notes" post that started this thread. Does it not read like a commercial? Especially considering that the poster is a newbie with 4 posts under their belt, three of which extoll the virtues of this previously-unheard-of software.

Don't worry, 'Wanabee, I know who your comment was aimed at :) - I keep forgetting British sarcasm doesn't translate very well ;-)

I just thought the best way to deal with spam extolling the virtues of a particular software application (I'd also noticed the post/subject ratio) would be best dealt with by comparing it with better featured, cheaper alternative applications which people may want to consider instead!

Stuart

GTD Wannabe

Registered
I don't think any sarcasm translates well into written text. It's a downfall of my emailing - I tend to wink at people a lot so they know I'm kidding ;) But now everyone thinks I'm just flirty! :)

Oh, and I'll add one more to your list:

TreePad: http://www.treepad.com/

I used the Business version for years before stumbling upon EverNote. But the free version is pretty powerful too.

aderoy

Registered
Another note program that does not get very much press:

Personal Knowbase - index card style, keyword assignment, good import/export of data (always a good thing).

Can be found at:

http://www.bitsmithsoft.com

The keyword assignment can be used for context... More than one can be assigned to each item, drill down via keywords, search, tagging etc.

Also of course there is Zoot. This can be used for text only (you can of course link to web/file for more fancy formatting options). Can be the main dashboard for NextActions, Notes, calendar. Links very well with Outlook, web etc.

Learning curve can be steep, but the manual and online support makes it a very small time to master.

Can be found at:

http://www.zootsoftware.com

A

alwaysenuf

Thanks to all for the tip on EVERNOTE

I'd never come across this before. It seems wonderfully good.
Thanks to those who have implemented guerilla tactics on the spamsters.

C

CcTiger

One more to toss on the options list...

I'm a newbie to GTD, but have been personaly using a similar system on my own for quite awhile. The program I love for organizing everything is called ITSD Organizer.
http://www.altstone.com/itsd/index.php

One of my favorite features is that it lets you create a keyboard shortcut that allows you to paste text from anywhere (web pages, documents, etc.) as a new note directly into the program.

Dunno if anyone else will like it, but I thought I'd share.

A

alisa

Thanks for all your opinion

Hi everyone!

I would just want to thank all for your opinions and for taking time to take part of this topic. Even some opinion were a little bit "spicy" I think that many of replies posted here helped people to make an ideea of what application are used to daily write notes.
So, who read this had the possibility to choose and maybe find the perfect tool for him/her needs.

Any opinion are still welcomed and let's hope helpfull.
Thanks.

alisa

J

Jack

Whizfolders

I'm pretty new at GTD but found Whizfolders.

To me this is a great program. It is a tabed note taker that creates child folders really well.

Once you get into it I can highlight in color, copy text and pictures to it.

It also prints out an index of all the folders. I was impressed with the testamonials on the web site too.

It also has a jump feature that allows you to instantly jump to other folders, web sites, etc.

There is a 30 day free trial at www.whizfolders.com

jack

emuelle1

Registered
I tend to stick as much as I can to the freeware/open source side of the spectrum. I downloaded a 6 month trial of One Note, and shortly after I stumbled onto Evernote. Because of the active user community and the developer support, I find Evernote to do pretty much everything I could ask. GTD Wanna Be has an awesome collection of Evernote templates on his website.

S

sonia_simone

OneNote vs. Evernote

I've been thinking about getting one of these. You prefer Evernote? Care to contrast & compare features, useability, or whatever led you to prefer the one over the other?

euler

Registered
OneNote vs Evernote

Ok, let me preface this by saying I'm not finished with David Allen's book yet. But, I've used several software packages over the years to organize my notes for work. I'm something of a text editor junkie, so I try out new text manipulation applications frequently. Originally, I used simple text files with a dumbed down WIKI syntax and a mode in my text editor that let me jump from one file link to another based on this syntax. I graduated from that to a software program called KeyNote (http://www.tranglos.com/free/keynote.html). This program was very nice (and feature wise, fairly close to oneNote). It had some excellent features like minimizing to the system tray, and a key stroke combo for calling it back up, but had a small annoyance in that the default font was hard to read, and changing the default font in the program settings didn't work. It is open source, but currently dropped by the original developer. Hopefully someone, somewhere will pick it up and fix this and any other issues as well.

Enter OneNote and Evernote. I had heard of OneNote from advertisements in magazines (though the Microsoft marketing juggernaut hasn't done much with this program). I read a paid article on how some grad students had use the program to track their research, and help them write their papers. Evernote, I simply stumbled across when searching for more objective information and reviews on OneNote.

My first impression of OneNote. Very polished, nice features. I like the mutiple levels of tabs. You can create folders that appear in the top tab section, which take you to other groups of tabs. This allows you to group your projects together, and then group project specific information together. As a final layer of grouping, you can create multiple pages of information on each subject through the page tabs that line either the left or right of the application, depending on user preference.

One of my favorite features is the ability to hilite specific pieces of information (more than just a bold or italic font). If you're not familiar with this feature, Word (and several other word processors) allows you to mark text as if with a hiliter pen. For me, it seems to make the desired text jump out more than just a bold face or italic font. As a Microsoft Office application, the editing UI should be familiar to most people. Most of the things you can do in Word, you can do in OneNote.

I don't have a tablet, so I can't speak to the handwriting recognition, but reviews I have read tout that as a top notch feature.

One feature that people rave about that I'm not as keen on is the abiltiy to freeform type. This means that wherever you click on the editing page is where your notes will go. This allows you to do some column based note taking, or even layer notes on top of notes (they go transparent when they aren't active). Text boxes can be moved around by clicking a small tab line at the top of each note, or joined by dragging one note into the text body of another note. This annoyed me, because I tend to like my notes to left align, much like a text editor or word processor, but it did allow me to cut a list of tasks gleaned from a recent meeting and paste them next to my notes from the meeting at the top of the page. In my other notes applications, this list appeared at the end of a lengthy outline of the meeting. That was nice, but it bothers me, when all I am trying to do is get focus to the application by clicking somewhere in the window, and a new text box appears with the cursor in it. Perhaps it is something I'll get used to, and I'll rave about the feature, but right now, it's different than I'm expecting so it throws me off.

Microsoft offers a 60 day trial of the program (180 days if you're a student), and I think that's an excellent way to get aquainted with the program, and a longer trial period than most competing applications. Although I generally am not a Microsoft fan (I've been Linux system administrator, and a developer on several open source software packages), OneNote seems at this point to be a very useful program. And with the features very similar to programs I've already been using, the learning curve is not very steep.

My first impression of Evernote. Very cool concept. Basically, they look at the editing area as a tape of text. Each note takes up a position on the tape, much like frames on a film reel. In this manner, you look at your notes in temporal order, with your oldest notes at the head of the tape, and the most recent notes at the end. In fact, on one side of the application, they have a "Time Band" that shows what day and time your notes were created, so you can jump to notes based on the day you wrote them.

Were this all it could do, it would be an interesting concept, but not very useful. However, they added the concept of categories. There are some pre-defined categories, such as notes with images, ink notes (free hand drawn), and Text notes. The user can also specify custom categories, and a single note can be part of many different categories. This is similar to categories in Outlook, or, if you are familiar with Google's GMail service, similar to Labels. I'm really looking forward to playing with this feature in terms of GTD, because It means I can have a global action list, and a project specific action list without the overhead of having to maintain the global list, simply by having my projects specific lists also have the global list category. It also has the ability to create new categories based on keywords in the notes. It seemd to automatically create one called "Button" for me when it detected that I had a couple of notes that shared that word. Very interesting.

Evernote also has shortcuts to allow you to jump to a new note from any application, or to paste into a new note from any application. Evernote also can minimize to the tray on close, instead of exiting the application. These features combine to make adding notes to the text tape very easy.

All is not rosy in Evernote though. The editing capabilities seem limited at this point. It doesn't have the hiliter feature present in OneNote. Advanced editing is made more difficult because things like bulleted lists, and numbered lists are hidden behind menus or use obscure shortcuts. In fact, the only place I could find the list features was in a context menu right clicking in the note. They seemed to have tried to unclutter the interface so much that basic features are actually obscured. Although I prefer keyboard shortcuts to icon bars, when I'm learning a new application, icon bars are nice.

Evernote has a free and a paid version. I've only used the free version to date, and I wasn't able to find a feature comparison of the two versions on their website. There may be even better features in the paid version, but most of the additional features seemed to be centered around the ink note feature (handwriting recognition and shape recognition for example). There is a 30 day trial of the paid version of Evernote, so if you intend to use it with a tablet, you may want to give that version a run.

Wow, this post has gotten much longer than I had intended. I hope this was useful, but your mileage might vary based on how you prefer to work.

emuelle1

Registered
euler, thank you. Those were my impressions as well. Like you, I downloaded the trial of One Note. I read a lot about it on Michael Hyatt's blog prior to his switch to Mac. I like the concept of keeping all of my notes and references in one place. I downloaded the 6 month trial, which is available if you have a "Genuine" version of Windows, ie no VLK. I found out quickly that One Note 2003 is practically useless unless you download SP2. You can't even rename tabs.

I like the ability to capture screen shots in One Note by pressing the Windows Key + S. You can also put reminders next to notes, turn individual notes into todos or Outlook tasks, create Outlook appointments, etc. The integration with the rest of MS Office is useful.

Like euler, I was checking reviews. For some reason, I have a habit of waiting until AFTER I have something to check reviews. I read on CNET.com about Evernote, so I checked it out. At first install, it didn't seem that highly useful. Some of the features take some getting used to. The editing functions such as bulleted lists can be accessed by putting the note in full screen mode (I didn't know about the right click). I found that the tape doesn't always play well with the touchpad on my mouse, but the developer is highly responsive, so I posted a question in the bugs section of the Evernote support forum and had an answer by morning.

Evernote does have a continuous tape rather then notebook tabs like One Note. It allows categories that you can put notes in. It also has a web clipper, which I have found useful. The web clipper self installs into Explorer and the developer makes another one for Firefox. Maxthon (the only browser worth using) can access the IE web clipper. I'm taking classes at the University of Phoenix. The online textbooks have DRM, and prevent you from copying more than 40 words, which is a trivial and useless amount. I can't even quote two sentences in a paper with a stupid limit like that. I like to take the chapter objectives and put them in a note so that I could make notes on them later. Of course, the DRM prevents me from copy and pasting, and if I do a screen clipping in One Note, it creates an image so the text can't be manipulated later. I found that I can highlight, select "Send to Evernote", and the text appears in a note as text.

What really clinched Evernote for me are the templates. The user community is highly active, with a lot of GTD practitioners. GTD Wannabe has created a vast archive of Evernote templates http://www.geocities.com/gtdwannabe/AllAboutTemplates/ENTemplates.htm that are easily imported and used. I just found one the other day that does exactly what I wanted Franklin Covey's Plan Plus program for: it gives you the whole week at a glance to plan for. OK, you can't drag and drop with ease in Outlook, but it's the next best thing. There are tons of templates to be used for GTD as well as recipes, books, mileage, prescriptions, etc. You can create your own templates in xml and share them with other users, and I believe the developer is working on a template editor. With this feature alone, the possibilities are endless.

I also learned that you can drag and drop an email from Outlook into Evernote.

Another neat feature with Evernote is the ability to share notes. You can right-click on any note and tell it to either email or share with another Evernote user. If you select email, the note will go by email through whichever client you use. If you share, it will attach an Evernote file to an email which will be opened by Evernote on the other end. I have used this to get information that I want to keep from work to home.

You can export and import your entire database, which is very useful for changing computers. I like continuity. Sometimes I jump from laptop to desktop and back to laptop again, and I like the ability to just copy a few files over and pick up where I left off.

The more I learn about it, the more I like Evernote. I think with a responsive developer and an active user community, it will go far. I've tried others, such as Keynote mentioned a few posts ago, but I like Evernote best.

Tom R

Registered
Looks like this is a hot topic, I wrote this yesterday on another forum:

My trusted system including all my notes is one big (Excel) file. I use it as an information store for contacts, keyboard shortcuts, bookmarks to files on hardrive, websites, or internet, quotes, passwords, all my work stuff, anything that I may want to recall in the future. The system is also my todo list manager for all next action, waiting, someday. And it is my indirect filing system for paper based items.

This whole list of stuff is simply in chronological order, that is I just plunk each entry on the next line and date it.

The format is like an electronic scroll, very similar to that of Evernote. My list is close to 5,000 rows (one item = one row) long now and I average about 10 entries per day. At normal monitor resolution, my scroll would be 80 feet tall. Excel allows for around 65,000 rows on a worksheet and the next version (Excel 12) coming out soon will allow 1,000,000 rows. So I am not worried about running out of space yet.

Once a "critical mass" amount of personal information has been captured, it is amazing how easily things can be found using a natural language kind of query

For example, when is Grandma's birthday? I search for Grandma & birthday there it is!
what is my password for this board?
(I really used this one just now) username & password there it is!

what is holding me up on the Jones project? @waiting & jones there it is!
where did I file the TPS Cover Sheet template? TPS & .doc there it is!
what are my current next actions? @next action there they are!

The search tools That I use to navigate this information are a pair of vba macros that have grown up with this file:

Tool 1 displays pop-up windows for each search result in sequential order beginning with the most recent. Just pound through the pop-ups until you find what you want.

Tool 2 creates an ad hoc report on a new worksheet to report all items that contain the search string.

If anybody out there would like to test drive this system, drop me an email and I will send you a copy.

Tom

emuelle1

Registered
Tom, that's very interesting. I read a post on 43 folders a while back about living in one big text file. It does sound like Excel would be better fitted for that kind of thing. Actually, I had a thought: if you do for some reason run out of rows, just add some more columns, which will shift your current data to the right and start from the top left all over again. That file would probably sync with a Pocket PC for portability.

It's funny that no matter how complicated or expensive we try to make our systems, it usually turns out to operate on a very simple plain. I could probably drop my computers and Pocket PC and just use a notepad, but I've put so much into my electronics that I can't *not* use them.