outlook pdf vs. plug-ins

R

robbe

Did anyone else order the Outlook PDF instructions only to find they are a very weak version of what the plug-in does? I didn't even realize it till I used a great form someone built for it, but it wouldn't even work in Outlook with out the plug-in. I emailed customer service and did not hear back.

the web site really makes it sound as though the PDF is the manual instruction to get it all set up, and the plug-in just does it automatically.

jhegener

Registered
I always expected the plug-in to have more functionality

robbe said:
Did anyone else order the Outlook PDF instructions only to find they are a very weak version of what the plug-in does?

That's one of the reasons why I'm such a big fan of the plug-in... 2 or 3 clicks and everything is in the system, emails linked to actions linked to projects w/ reminders set. Not to mention snooze, file, delegate, etc.

Using the manual method via the pdf, even when I tried my best to be diligent, I felt like things were slipping through the cracks (not to mention that it was a lot more work to keep everything tied together). The plug-in makes it all quick, seamless and *trusted* (they still need to work on the projects integration, though). So much so that I installed the previously much-hated Outlook at home as well. Never thought I'd do that! :)

peege

Registered
Interesting - I bought the PDF to save myself $50 and found it very helpful. However, the setup is a bit repetitive, and I'm now wondering if I should have splurged and gotten the plug-in.

Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to improve on the PDF documentation for tweaking Outlook?

rmkonecki

Registered
PDF vs. add-in

The good news is when I called and asked if I could get credit for the $50 PDF when I bought the add-in they said yes. All I had to pay was the additional $49 dollars.

robbe said:
Did anyone else order the Outlook PDF instructions only to find they are a very weak version of what the plug-in does? I didn't even realize it till I used a great form someone built for it, but it wouldn't even work in Outlook with out the plug-in. I emailed customer service and did not hear back.

the web site really makes it sound as though the PDF is the manual instruction to get it all set up, and the plug-in just does it automatically.

MsftMan

Registered
I ended up buying the PDF file at (at that time $30). Shortly afterwards (three weeks at the most) they dropped the price to $10. No compensation. I bought the GTD plug-in and did not even try to play that game card again.

In the long run, I feel they should flat out say... "If you decide to buy the plug-in within 60 or 90 days of your PDF purchase, your original purchase price will apply and be subtracted from your current purchase.

I can assure you there are a lot of folks who bought the PDF at $50 or $30 that turned around to buy the plug-in. Only after realizing that the PDF was not enough and not explained well enough, to make a more informed decision.

I am convinced for the sake of fostering better relations with their Customers, David Allen Co. should make some change in this policy.

BigStory

Registered
I took a slightly different tack. Did you know that all the information in the PDF is included in the help section of the Add-in? I bought the Add-in and got both!

Gordon

TC1965

Registered
Having just started

Down the GTD road I had been debating myself about the merits of the addin against the pdf. Being tight (financially that is) I opted for the pdf. So my comments are based on only having the pdf.

I can't say that I have found it too onerous to operate. Yes there probably are a few more key strokes but particularly in this learning phase I feel as though I am getting more out of doing the actions than the saving in effort would give me. There may be a time when the novelty wears off and I go for the add-in but not until I am sure I know what I am doing.

Tom

jhundley

Registered
Outlook pdf vs Add-in

I am considering trying the demo of the add-in but was wondering if it would do anything to my existing categories? How does it effect synching to Palm T3?

bdavidson

Registered
jhundley said:
I am considering trying the demo of the add-in but was wondering if it would do anything to my existing categories? How does it effect synching to Palm T3?

The plug-in will detect your existing categories and add them to the Action lists the plug-in uses. Actions labels (e.g. @Computer, @Home) will sync with Outlook categories, so they will continue to sync to your T3.

Brian

J

jdstanton

Links between tasks and e-mail

Does the PDF include instructions on how to setup the links between tasks, appointmnts, and e-mails so you can use an "Open Mail" button in the task list? Or is this a feature exclusively in the Add-In?

Liz Harward

Registered
Hello,

Thanks for your feedback on our product descriptions on the website. We will certainly take a look at them to see if additional clarification on the differences between the Add-in and the Outlook Document are needed. I would be happy to talk with anyone who has questions, or any concerns, about any of our products, please feel free to contact me directly at 805-646-8432 or Liz@davidco.com. In addition, I would be happy to refund your money if you are not satisfied with any products you've purchased.

Kind regards,

Liz Vernand
Products Manager