Palm Users: What's the best productivity software out there?

A

Anonymous

What is the best productivity and finance software for the Palm OS? I'd like something that integrates the To Do list with the Calendar mainly, with more of an action oriented set up versus the regular "check off item" form. I'm thinking something that allows one to have categories and then some sort of list where I can write Next Actions. Am I being too specific? :?

Also, I'd like to get a hold of a pretty good home finance program. So I can keep track of expenses, savings, checking, credit, bills, etc. Nothing too fancy.

These programs will be mostly used for managing school, work, projects, and personal tasks.

Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions! :)

M

mochant

Search the forums

Have you tried searching these forums? There have been many discussions about your questions.

Short answer on productivity apps:

Look into Agendus, DateBk+, Life Balance, KeySuite, and or Beyond Contacts. All have big fans here. The last two are designed to complement Outlook.

Finance programs are not my area of expertise but if you use Microsoft Money or Intuit Quicken on your PC, you'll find that most finance programs on the Palm will sync up or import/export data these programs can use. Splash Money, part of the Splash Wallet suite might be one to look at. There's a Pocket Quicken as well.

A

Anonymous

Re

Thanks for some of those suggestions. I'll look into those programs too. I actually just downloaded a trial version of Bonsai for Palm OS, which actually looks like it fits the bill. It's a pretty good outline program that gives a lot of freedom and functionality. If anyone else is following this board check it out at PalmOne.com. Seems like there have been pretty positive reviews from the users. I started to input some of my actions and project to dos, and it's been going well so far. We'll see how it goes.

As for finance, still more exploring to do. Will update if I stumble across something. Right now, going to check out Pocket Quicken and Splash. Or perhaps Microsoft Money type programs.

M

mochant

Bonsai is excellent

Bonsai is a great tool. Natara has really upped the ante with the latest release. There are a number of good posts here about using Bonsai and also ShadowPlan - another outliner.

S

scottr

GtD Productivity SW

I've been a long time user of Datebk5 and Bonsai. These two applications are the basis of my GtD implementation. The latest release of Bonsai added linking to the ToDo app. This has really helped tie things together for me.

J

jmarkey

I use Quicken on my laptop and pocket Quicken on my Palm. They work great for tracking all aspects of my finances. The original Quicken came with my laptop bundle. I bought Pocket Quicken on e-bay at a discounted price. I even created a cash account to track cash expenditures, so I keep track of virtually every dime I spend.

A

Anonymous

LifeBalance is by far the best for me

I have used a number of programs, and have found that LifeBalance is the best GTD tool for me. I use a Mac, so I cannot get desktop support for programs like Bonsai, and the Mac version of Shadow is flawed. So I can highly recommend LifeBalance, also, the customer support there is excellent!

A

Anonymous

best productivity app

:D
I'm a registered user of agendus, Shadowplan, Daynotez and have done the 30 day trial of Life Balance. Each has its merits.
The best I've come across lately has been Note Studio by dogMelon.
Highly configurable, user friendly and lots of fun.
Think of it as a PersonalBrain for the Palm
I still do hard landscape via the built in datebook however.
I will be doing a write up of it soon!

A

Anonymous

law4pda.org

sorry for the double posting, but a good write up of NoteStudio with GtD has been done by treorenegade aka Pam Gaines, JD
see it here:
http://law4pda.org

A

Alan28

I think that Life Balance is absolutely the best software for invoking GTD on a Palm OS device. It fully integrates the calender and task functions and is built to handle context-based displays.

I've tried several combinations, but Life Balance, when configured for GTD, simply cannot be beat! If you want info on how it's set up, go here: GTD Starter Thread in Life Balance Forums

Caution: You should know a bit about Life Balance before reading, but if not, try and see if you can determine how well GTD works in Life Balance. If you want more info, let me know.

A

Anonymous

http://www.actionable.org/files/GTD.with.Life.Balance.pdf

Alan28 said:
I think that Life Balance is absolutely the best software for invoking GTD on a Palm OS device. It fully integrates the calender and task functions and is built to handle context-based displays.

I've tried several combinations, but Life Balance, when configured for GTD, simply cannot be beat! If you want info on how it's set up, go here: GTD Starter Thread in Life Balance Forums

Caution: You should know a bit about Life Balance before reading, but if not, try and see if you can determine how well GTD works in Life Balance. If you want more info, let me know.

Dwayne

Registered
If you're using Outlook, I recommend Chapura's KeySuite

Keysuite (from www.chapura.com - same folks that make PocketMirror sync software) is a killer app for GTD, IMHO.

It allows you to have as many categories as you want and synchs directly with Outlook and the Palm (for notes, tasks, calendar, and contacts). You can link contacts to tasks and notes, and it works just like the built-in Palm apps.

I switched from Bonsai to this because it integrates so perfectly with Outlook and the GTD Outlook add-in.