PalmOne LifeDrive Mobile Manager

mcogilvie

Registered
Palm Lifedrive

arthur said:
Looks new.............looks nice

Looks thick....................Feels warm.

Seriously, the thing is noticeably warm in your hand. There are vent holes in the aluminum case in back. Thickness is fine.. if you wear cargo pants all the time. Just at the limit of pocketability for the kind of pants I wear most of the time. And I'm not sure if I want to be a pioneer for Palm with the 4 gig hard drive. Storing everything on the drive does slow down initial access. Battery life is nothing like an ipod, but probably enough for one business day. What I would like is a Treo 650 with WiFi (802.11) instead.

arthur

Registered
Yes the Treo 650 does look sharp. I'm with you on that. They have the 650 with Verizon as well.

Yes with that much information seems like data transfers would slow. One thing nice about my T3 is the speed of HotSync.

TesTeq

Registered
Not-so-multimedia device.

I am still waiting for PalmOne to return to its roots and to give us the basic, not-so-multimedia, extremely reliable, small but powerful, easy to use personal organizer with at least one week battery life (do you still remember those good old Palm V times?).
I need powerful Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Memo functions and ability to link information between these applications - for example to create meeting in Calendar and link it to people and places from Contacts database and with Tasks to make a meeting room reservation. And categorize the items in each database using more sophisticated categorization or keyword system. And do some basic project management in Tasks (basic outliner and more sorting options - for example the alpha sort).
I think they don't get it and are trying to complicate simple things like Microsoft.
TesTeq

S

SteadyEdd

The Tungsten E2 looks like something I'd go for. My M515 is perfect for my needs other than the fact it doesn't have built in Bluetooth. I've an SD Bluetooth card but then I can't access my files on the memory card. Swapping is a pain. The E2 now has the Bluetooth built in so would be my ideal at the mmoment (a T5 would be nice but the money's the thing).

Edward

D

dyofanto

"I am still waiting for PalmOne to return to its roots and to give us the basic, not-so-multimedia, extremely reliable, small but powerful, easy to use personal organizer with at least one week battery life (do you still remember those good old Palm V times?)."

Try Zire 21 (monocrome) or 31. Zire 21 has a great battery life, not color screen power-harvester and the same great PalmOs

TesTeq

Registered
Zire 21 is OK but looks like soap-holder.

From the functional point of view I agree with you. Zire 21 is OK. But it looks like a soap-holder with LCD screen. Tungsten E is my favourite model now.
But my point is that PalmOne is obsessed about new hardware and not about small improvements in software. And some concepts have not changed since 1996 (for example 15 category limit).
TesTeq

br4978

Registered
I could not agree more. Sure, you can utilize DB5 or Agendus or a number of other options, but you need to tolerate a bit of unnecessary (my opinion)bugginess and annoyances like appending funky code to memos to accommodate enhanced features. Why can't Palm add these advancements and enhance that klunky desktop? Recognizing there are PalmOne/Palmsource complexities, someone among the Palm-orgs ought to attend to the basics and assure a competitive set of foundation PIM-applications.

Thanks, I feel better now....

arthur

Registered
TesTeq said:
I am still waiting for PalmOne to return to its roots and to give us the basic, not-so-multimedia, extremely reliable, small but powerful, easy to use personal organizer with at least one week battery life (do you still remember those good old Palm V times?).
I need powerful Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Memo functions and ability to link information between these applications - for example to create meeting in Calendar and link it to people and places from Contacts database and with Tasks to make a meeting room reservation. And categorize the items in each database using more sophisticated categorization or keyword system. And do some basic project management in Tasks (basic outliner and more sorting options - for example the alpha sort).
I think they don't get it and are trying to complicate simple things like Microsoft.
TesTeq

I have a Tungsten T3 and it's not that bad. Sure there are some problems but I'm a power user and it works very well. What I dislike the most is having to slide it down to use Grafitti. This urks me. But there are some great programs out there like Chapura keysuite, talk about sweet. It works wonderfully with Outlook. And Bonsai links to it as well. I also use Back-to-Bonsai. I see what you guys are saying it can be a little cumbersome to use. They should be simpler.

severance1970

Registered
I've been using a Samsung i500 for about a month now. It's a great Palm OS smartphone that fits comfortably in my pocket and looks like a regular cell phone, but lacks the whiz-bang multimedia features of the Treo 650 I migrated from. I realized that all I really need for GTD is a simple list manager that supports categories and allows me to attach action and project support material pasted into notes.

With the exception of SuperMemo and i500SMS, I use no additional software. For outlining, I subset items with the Graffiti stroke for a tab indent followed by the Graffiti stroke for a bullet. Granted, I can't expand or collapse outlines, but I keep them in the note attachments of my action and project list items so they don't clutter the lists.

I think the LifeDrive is a cool concept, but I'd rather transfer files with a simple flash drive, take pictures with a digital camera, and use a laptop for editing documents and managing email. It's not small enough for me to carry around comfortably, and too small to get real work done comfortably.

tonester

Registered
Hi

I didn't realise Bonsai communicated with KeySuite!

Can Bonsai link to both todo and calendar items?

Thanks,
Tony

ScottL

Registered
dyofanto said:
"I am still waiting for PalmOne to return to its roots and to give us the basic, not-so-multimedia, extremely reliable, small but powerful, easy to use personal organizer with at least one week battery life (do you still remember those good old Palm V times?)."

Try Zire 21 (monocrome) or 31. Zire 21 has a great battery life, not color screen power-harvester and the same great PalmOs

My CLIE T665 finally died and I started using the CLIE TH-55 which I had bought awhile ago. Close enough to what you had in mind, and you might be able to find one e.g. on E-bay.

I do agree completely, the future for such devices does not look good, and I hope my Th-55 lasts awhile.

Scott

CLIE 610-->CLIE T665---CLIE Th-55

TesTeq

Registered
We like one-function devices.

Gameboy70 said:
I'd rather transfer files with a simple flash drive, take pictures with a digital camera, and use a laptop for editing documents and managing email.
I fully agree with you. Most of the people are overwhelmed by the multifunctionality and programmability of the devices. We feel more comfortable with one-function devices with each button assigned to only one function. I know many people who say that cell phone should be an easy-to-use cell phone only - not the low-quality camera or hard-to-use PDA.
Of course it is not forbidden to add some functional extensions to the devices but it shouldn't spoil or complicate the main functionality. iPod is a perfect example of the good approach. There are many MP3 players on the market but iPod wins because people like it.
TesTeq

arthur

Registered
link

tonester said:
Hi

I didn't realise Bonsai communicated with KeySuite!

Can Bonsai link to both todo and calendar items?

Thanks,
Tony

Yes you can link to the Palm calendar. In "Global Settings" you can change where Bonsai will link to. Really nice. However, I have not been able to link to Chapura keysuite yet. (sorry I thought you could. I have been linking to the Palm Calendar. In bonsai it does give you the option to link to any other program but it does not execute it properly). Aside, there are some strange configurations you can do with bonsai and Outlook, these are explained in bonsai's owners manual. There may be a way to link up Keysuite to Bonsai but I haven't done it yet. There are some limitations.

Here is some more informatin I have been digging for.

http://www.natara.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=2958

http://www.natara.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=9&threadid=2727&highlight_key=y&keyword1=keysuite

http://www.natara.com/forums/messag...readid=3146&highlight_key=y&keyword1=keysuite

These questions have probably been covered in another forum. But I also think that DateBK5 is the best bet for linking with bonsai. Here is a quote from the link below "When using the To Do Linking feature, it does work well with DateBk5."

http://www.natara.com/forums/messag...readid=3973&highlight_key=y&keyword1=DayNotez

What may be the best route would be to use DateBK5 or Agendus. Keysuite is such a nice Outlook synching program, it's a shame they do not support it. If I had to use the linking feature alot I would still use Keysuite and use Agendus or DateBK5 as just a calendar/reminder. And I guess Agendus will synch with Outlook!

http://www.natara.com/forums/messag...readid=2903&highlight_key=y&keyword1=calendar

PsychTau

Registered
It'd be really nice if we could "build our own". I have no desire to listen to music on my organizer (I have an iPod), nor do I want to take pictures with it (I prefer 35mm). The web access might be fun...but I don't know if I really need it. However, I wouldn't mind being able to look at a few saved photos, and I'd definitely like to be able to store, edit, and run PowerPoint presentations from it.

Right now I have an m500 that I bought refurbished. I love it and would really love to have a Tungsten C to play with....but I can't afford it right now. (I know Docs to Go has software that can run a slideshow if you purchase all the stuff for it, but I'm afraid that it would blow up my palm if I tried it!!!)

Why can't we pay $300 for a Palm, and choose 4 of those functions to include (with $50 for each extra function)...or something like that.

PsychTau

shan150

Registered
Since I love my Palm Zire 72 I feel I have to defend its multi-functionality. As the mother of a toddler as well as a salesperson having my calendar, contacts & to do list as well as my mp3 player and camera (although low quality) all in one small package is awesome.

I do most of my work on my Mac powerbook, but when I leave the house it is so convenient just to sync all my essential info into my palm. The extra camera comes in handy when I want to takes pics of my little girl and I love the mp3 player. I no longer have to burn my books on tape and/or music to cds in order to listen to them in my car, I just plug in the car adapter and I am golden. And, as much as I love the ipod the idea of carrying one more thing with me is just unbearable.

arthur

Registered
Good post Popeye. It's a shame that LifeDrive does not handle Fitality. I like Fitality and used it for a while but switched back to graffiti. I like the feel of hand writing and graffiti is quick enough to enter most text. Nevertheless, a good program.

I agree with many of the posts about issues with software. In my opinion, the internet and software (as a whole) is buggy and needs higher quality. But it does work and my T3 works well now that I have it tweeked and loaded with the applications I use exclusively.

Companies are wise to listen to customer demands. GTD can help here! How? By companies creating lists of the problems (bugs) or making them into projects and "finishing" them. Some companies do not do this.......or people. Amazing. One management rule I have is, write it down. If an employee has a task for you to do, WRITE IT DOWN :) I don't know how many times I have seen managers forget to do something.

shan150 I really like the Palm Zire 72. I was checking them out in the store the other day. I own the Tungsten T3 and the only major problem I have with it is I have to extend the slider to use grafitti! ARGH! This was a really poor design choice. But the stylus is supreme! I noticed some of the newer Palms do not have this stylus, a shame. Next time I will switch to something closer to the Palm Zire or the T5.

shan150

Registered
Arthur, its funny that you mention the sliding screen. Before I bought the Zire 72 I used a Tungsten T and a major factor in deciding to upgrade was the annoying sliding screen.

severance1970

Registered
shan150 said:
Since I love my Palm Zire 72 I feel I have to defend its multi-functionality. As the mother of a toddler as well as a salesperson having my calendar, contacts & to do list as well as my mp3 player and camera (although low quality) all in one small package is awesome.
I think that for women, standalone PDAs remain a more viable option, due to purses. All things being equal, I'd rather have kept the multifunctionality of the Treo 650, but I really needed to have a device small enough to fit comfortably in my front pocket; and if I was going to carry a cell phone, adding another device to my profile was not an option. So I gave up the hi-res screen, camera, MP3, SD expansion, and other features for the i500 to focus on having a truly ubiquitous GTD organizing tool. For me it was primarily a question of ergonomics. I can't fathom how people can carry Sidekicks and Blackberries without a purse.