PDA best way to enter data?

A

Anonymous

I use Outlook daily and have just started using a PDA (HP jornada). I find it's a great reference tool but data entry is very slow. I'd like to know what type of entry options people use and why. The options are "block recognizer, keyboard, letter recognizer & transcriber. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

MsftMan

Registered
Re: PDA best way to enter data?

danoh said:
I use Outlook daily and have just started using a PDA (HP jornada). I find it's a great reference tool but data entry is very slow. I'd like to know what type of entry options people use and why. The options are "block recognizer, keyboard, letter recognizer & transcriber. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Well I use Calligrapher http://www.phatware.com. A more robust version of Transcriber and you use the whole screen. I like it because I don't have to change the way I write in order to please the software.

To really get down to serious input I use a Compaq collapsible keyboard just like this one: http://tinyurl.com/4yxlp

Hope this helps,

R

RichardGEmes

I've just reverted back to using a paper planner but I installed Decuma OnSpot on my Ipaq a while ago. I'm really impressed with the software. It makes data entry into the Ipaq a real possibility. www.decuma.com - the company has just been bought by somebody else but this link will get you there in the end.

FYI Ended up back with paper as seeing the bigger picture become more important.

J

jmarkey

danoh said:
Thanks,

I try to enter most data directly on the desktop. For entry on my Palm. although I use mostly graffiti, sometimes I use the Fitaly keyboard for longer entries. With practice, I was able to increase my speed. It also helps to set up some graffiti shortcuts for commonly used words or phrases. I also have a full-size keyboard that connects to my Palm if I want to take notes during meetings.

TesTeq

Registered

jmarkey said:
I also have a full-size keyboard that connects to my Palm if I want to take notes during meetings.
What do you mean by full-size keyboard? One of the folding Palm keyboards or standard desktop keyboard (PS/2 or USB) connected somehow to Palm PDA? You can hardly describe these folding keyboards as full-size.
TesTeq

TesTeq

Registered

jmarkey said:
I also have a full-size keyboard that connects to my Palm if I want to take notes during meetings.
What do you mean by full-size keyboard? One of the folding Palm keyboards or standard desktop keyboard (PS/2 or USB) connected somehow to Palm PDA? You can hardly describe these folding keyboards as full-size.
TesTeq

srharrell

Registered
I just downloaded the trial version of FITALY. It may take a little getting used to but it seems much easier to use than the default QWERTY keyboard on my Pocket PC.

J

jmarkey

TesTeq said:
TesTeq

I'm referring to the Palm Portable Keyboard that is compatible with earlier versions of the Palm (M100, III and VII series). Its keyboard layout is 100% full-size when open, and the key spacing is also the same as desktop keyboards. When not in use, it folds to a size slightly larger than the handheld. Using it felt no different than using a regular keyboard. The only adjustment was to learn the shortcut keys to launch the Palm applications, but I can still use the stylus to tap on the screen if I prefer. I don't know if the newer keyboards are laid out the same.

TesTeq

Registered

jmarkey said:
I'm referring to the Palm Portable Keyboard that is compatible with earlier versions of the Palm (M100, III and VII series). Its keyboard layout is 100% full-size when open, and the key spacing is also the same as desktop keyboards.
Currently I'm testing Palm Tungsten T5 with Palm Wireless Keyboard (infrared). For me the keys have too short travel but the size is OK.
Unfortunately I have some problems with software stability (memory manager crashes due to NULL pointers - will be investigating).
Besides - since in T5 PalmOne changed the function of the four fast access function buttons - the descriptions on the ASDF keys do not match their function.
TesTeq

J

jmarkey

TesTeq said:
Currently I'm testing Palm Tungsten T5 with Palm Wireless Keyboard (infrared). For me the keys have too short travel but the size is OK. Unfortunately I have some problems with software stability (memory manager crashes due to NULL pointers - will be investigating). Besides - since in T5 PalmOne changed the function of the four fast access function buttons - the descriptions on the ASDF keys do not match their function.
TesTeq

That is good to know. I'm planning to upgrade my PDA this year.

BrianK

Registered

Look for specs on key travel and key spacing. I've found that the older ones (I use an older Sony one) generally have key spacing of 19mm, which is the same as most laptop keyboards. The newer ones, including Palm's wireless one, typically have key spacing of 18mm. You'd never think it makes a difference, but after using a newer one, I went shopping on ebay for an older one again.

J

jmarkey

BrianK said:
Look for specs on key travel and key spacing. I've found that the older ones (I use an older Sony one) generally have key spacing of 19mm, which is the same as most laptop keyboards. The newer ones, including Palm's wireless one, typically have key spacing of 18mm. You'd never think it makes a difference, but after using a newer one, I went shopping on ebay for an older one again.

Yes, 19mm is what I have now. It is completely comfortable. If you hadn't pointed it out, I probably would not have noticed the difference until I bought it and started using it (and then I would have been unhappy!). Although I don't use the keyboard a lot, it is handy for meetings. I also was thinking that when I upgrade my Palm I could use the keyboard to prepare court orders before even leaving the courthouse.

TesTeq

Registered

jmarkey said:
TesTeq said:
Currently I'm testing Palm Tungsten T5 with Palm Wireless Keyboard (infrared). For me the keys have too short travel but the size is OK. Unfortunately I have some problems with software stability (memory manager crashes due to NULL pointers - will be investigating). Besides - since in T5 PalmOne changed the function of the four fast access function buttons - the descriptions on the ASDF keys do not match their function.
TesTeq

1) It seems that there is a bug in Polish extension of PalmOS that affected software stability - I'll report it to software support. Without user interface translation everything seems to be pretty stable.

2) In the meantime I've learned that Palm Wireless Keyboard and Universal Wireless Keyboard have different communication protocols so you must use appropriate driver. They are indistinguishable because they have the same name keyboard.prc.

TesTeq

BrianK

Registered

jmarkey said:
Yes, 19mm is what I have now. It is completely comfortable. If you hadn't pointed it out, I probably would not have noticed the difference until I bought it and started using it (and then I would have been unhappy!). Although I don't use the keyboard a lot, it is handy for meetings. I also was thinking that when I upgrade my Palm I could use the keyboard to prepare court orders before even leaving the courthouse.

That's exactly what happened to me. I just assumed all full-sized keyboards were the same. It's a shame because there really is a difference between 18 and 19 on the key spacing. For me, the 18 simply didn't work for touch typing, so I had to go back to a 19.

I'm picturing you doing orders on your palm before leaving the courthouse. I'm fairly sure that in our court (Seattle) you'd draw some interested (and interesting) looks.