PDA/phone combo

A

Anonymous

Hi All

Has anyone seen any good phone/PDA combos lately? I've been noticing more and more people using them in airports.

I'm looking for a cell phone combined with a PDA I can sync with Outlook to keep track of my contacts calendar and tasks

DC

A

Anonymous

I have been using the Kyocera 7135 for a few weeks. It is awesome! It combines phone, Palm PDA, e-mail, web browsing etc.

Paul Skikne - Owner
Montana Avenue Realty
Santa Monica, CA

R

Robert

PDAPhone by Kyocera (7135)

:p I am happy w. my Kyocera 7135 also. It syncs nicely w. Outlook right out of the box but I use ACT Version 6 and sync. it with ACT for the Palm OS on my Kyocera. It works fine. (See: http://www.act.com )

I also use HPC Notes for the Palm on my Kyocera and sync it w. the Desktop version of HPC Notes ( See: http://www.phatware.com/hpcnotes/ )

Rounding out my organizational software is: Nelson Email Organizer ( see: http://www.caelo.com/ ) which coordinates my Outlook E-Mail on my PC and PaperTiger ( See: http://ThePaperTiger.Com ) which helps me with my filing.

Best Regards,

Robert

A

Anonymous

Paul, Robert, thanks for your responses!

Does the Kyocera have a full-on Palm implemented?
Does it synchronize OK with Outlook? (I use the GTD Outlook Add-In).
I use a Pocket PC (Jornada 560) now. Also use HPC notes - but I haven't yet really gotten much use out of it. I have no clue about the Palm OS or whether I'd like it.

As far as the phone goes, can you talk into it like a regular cell or do you need an earpiece?

It sounds pretty good. I see that my carrier (Verizon) carries it for $499.

Maybe I'll go there if I get enough Fathers' Day checks......:)

Darryl

R

Robert

7135 Smartphone follow-up w. questions of my own......

What do you mean by a "full-on Palm" ? It is compatible with Palm software if that is what you mean....it has not the latest version of Palm OS ( v. 5 ) but it is sufficient for 99% of the population.

How is the GtD Outlook Add-In working for you. I thougth that I saw someplace on here that it was "buggy." I am interested in your use of it.

I am using the Nelson Email Organizer ( at http://www.caelo.com/ ) but would consider the Outlook add-in if you really liked it since I am now begining to implement GtD. I am not syncing my Kyocera with Outlook but rather I have the Palm Version of ACT and sync. it w. my Desktop version of ACT. But I do have a question for you about HPCNotes. Even though you said that you are using it, you may be more familiar with the GtD system than I (which is probable since I am just starting to read the book).

I am planning on using HPCNotes as the anchor for my implementation of GtD .. I am only 1/3 of the way through David's book so I am no "blackbelt" user but I plan on making a Project list in HPCNotes and tracking the action steps for each project in HPC note's section for each project and then, weekly, transfering timed and untimed action steps into my ACT database calendar. What do you think?? ACT by itself is not very well suited to GtD bec. each task, in ACT, has to be linked specifically to an individual contact and that is cumbersome at times hence my need for HPCNotes.....

Yes, you can talk on the 7135 just like on a reg. phone...no ear piece is necessary. If you would like more info. on the Kyocera, go here > http://www.smartphonesource.com and check out the 7135 forums

If you are a good Verizon customer (long term) try to get $200. off the price of the 7135 ... they might do it IF you sign up for two years w. them and then the phone will only cost you $299....3 something w. tax. I have heard that it has been done.

Good Luck....let me know about the Outlook add-in, will you .... and what do you think of my initial approach to using GtD w. HPC Notes and ACT......

Robert in Florida

A

Anonymous

Blackberry 6510 phone

I use the Blackberry 6510 phone/PDA, and it is great, especially if you live on the road. :D

M

mconnick

Treo 300

I just picked up a new Treo 300 on eBay for $275. I've been wanting one for quite some time, but the cost has been too high until now.

A

Anonymous

Treo 300

I have been using the Treo 300 now for about 6 weeks ... it is awesome!!!

It allowed me to converge three of my devices into one; Phone, Two-way pager, and Palm.

Recommended add-on apps ... TreoSMS (to add sending capability omited by Handspring), TreoMail (to add remote send/receive access to your email directly on the Treo), and TreoAlerts (to add recurring reminders for messages / calls).

A

Anonymous

treo 600! ***** (five stars)

While reading GTD I was using Palm's Tungsten W. It is a phone PDA combo. But now I have upgraded to Treo 600.

The new system has a five-way navigator that is really really intuitive (one is very grateful after the tungsten w experience). I think for those of us who are not technophobes this may be the UPGRADE. I mean the cost is very steep (I bought it in Singapore for equivalent of US$ 690. ) But I think it is worth the price.

It has a keyboard that is very typeable, like the rest of the operations, with one hand.

I think for those of us who want to carry only one device that is a full fledged palm as well as a very well integrated mobile phone, this is the choice.

What a way for Handspring to do the last bow before being merged with Palm.

Ashok Atluri

A

Anonymous

Palm/PDA Combo

I have a Treo 300 and am only moderately in love with it. It is not an exceptional cell phone nor is it an exceptional PDA. (I have been a Palm user for six years.) I do love the fact that it cuts down on what I have to carry, but in general feel it's pretty clumsy.

My company will be upgrading to Treo 600s soon. From what I have seen, the Treo 600 addresses some of my complaints - a better keyboard design and easier access to frequently used programs.

A

Anonymous

phone/pda combinations

Here in Australia there is a product called the XDA 02. It is a phone and Pocket PC unit that I have now used for over six months with excellent results. Both the phone and PDA functions have worked without a flaw. I know a similar machine is sold in the North American market and they are well worth checking out. I particularly like the PDA size screen unlike many phones that compromise the screen size.

pstmstr

Registered
phone palm combo

Just got the new Sprint Treo 600 and am loving it. Finally, a good Palm, phone, and email combo. Now, if I can just stop playing with the thing and GTD.

Guy Bjerke

Registered
Mike -
I'm thinking of going the Treo 600 route. How do you like the keyboard? Do you miss Graffiti data entry? Thanks.

pstmstr

Registered
Treo 600

I like the keyboard, I was using a Blackberry 957 and the keys on the Treo are much closer but with the raised tops, it is surprisingly easy to type on. Now I just have to train myself not to hit the home button where caps used to be on the BB.

I downloaded a trial version of Jot and it works well on the treo when you want to write instead of use the keyboard. A little different than Graffitti but pretty easy to learn and the strokes show on the screen.

Just picked up an Ipod belt case today that fits it perfectly and cut down an old screen protector I had until my new ones came out. This little thing is truly amazing. My Palm, cell phone, and Blackberry are now orphans. The only thing, is with Sprint Business Connection personal edition I have to leave the desktop running but that's ok, my laptop can sit in the docking station and I'll have 6 less pounds to carry everywhere.

Let me know if you have any more questions. A good site to read more is treo cental.

A

Anonymous

pda-phone

Blackberry with T-Mobile allows email and telephone. Works great with outlook.

I

intrigueme@aol.com

....ugggghhhh....

but Blackberries are HORRIBLE for the GTD methodology.....

I know. I've got a Blacberry strapped above my left hip, and my Palm m515 strapped above my right

(see earlier post by me elsewhere)

Their PDA section is worse than the first Palms from 1997. They have no categories for your To-Do (or Next Actions) and you have to navigate using that damn thumbwheel only - No Styluses Allowed.

The only way that I can think they "work wonderfully(?)" with Outlook is because you can Hot Synch your Calendar, Notes, Tasks, Addresses. But guess what - they all lose their categories and go into one "amorphous blob." You lose your "buckets."

I have something that "works wonderfully" with Outlook too! My Palm - with a small investment into Chapura Pocket Mirror Pro - I've never had a synch problem, and I'm going between Outlook/PC and Palm Desktop/Mac.

Go with the Treo - trust me.

C

Cikub

intrigueme@aol.com said:
Their PDA section is worse than the first Palms from 1997.

It's funny that you say that since the Palm PDA functions have hardly changed at all since their introduction in 1996. In fact, the most revolutionary changes to the PIM apps was just this year with the introduction of OS version 5.2x. They've oft been criticized for waiting so long.

C