Pls Suggest Best Tool for Multiple Calendars for family of 6

tjhoo

Registered
Background:

-Windows OS for computers.
-Family of 6 (4 kids). I have used MS Outlook (OL) for years. In OL have 1 main calendar (mine), and 5 sub (child) calendars (1 each) for wife and kids. Wife currently uses paper calendar. I have blackberry

This system works well at the office on Desktop OL 2010. Off the network if on pc/laptop interface is ok (not great).., but on current blackberry have not had access to child calendars. Wife has no access unless has paper calendar in front of her at home.

Awaiting iPhone4S delivery for myself and wife. Eldest child has iPad. Next eldest has ipod touch.

Goals for multiple calendars
-access AND edit on pc and iPhone/iPad for all calendars for wife and myself.
-access (and possibly edit) each child's calendar on his/her device
-continue my using Outlook at work (hard to switch from such a powerful tool..integral to GTD for me)

Possible solutions
-iOS native calendar...I've not used....not sure if it can hold multiple calendars
-Google calendars...would create separate one for each person..i think this can sync with OL
-Cozi: per web site can sync with OL...http://lifehacker.com/5831331/cozi-...-the-web-and-on-android-iphone-and-blackberry

Thanks in advance!!

mickmel

Registered
Google Calendar all the way. iPhone can be configured so that it syncs to the build-in calendar, obviously works great on Android devices, anyone can access from the web, and I believe you're correct that it can sync with Outlook (though I haven't tried).

pinkmouse

Registered
mickmel;92452 said:
Google Calendar all the way. iPhone can be configured so that it syncs to the build-in calendar, obviously works great on Android devices, anyone can access from the web, and I believe you're correct that it can sync with Outlook (though I haven't tried).

Yes, you can sync google calendar with OL, and yes iOS calendar supports multiples, and will sync with either google cal or OL.

If you google google calendar sync, you'll find the add in required.

HTH

Cheers!
Laura

Oogiem

Registered
tjhoo;92450 said:
Possible solutions
-iOS native calendar...I've not used....not sure if it can hold multiple calendars
-Google calendars...would create separate one for each person..i think this can sync with OL
-Cozi: per web site can sync with OL...http://lifehacker.com/5831331/cozi-...-the-web-and-on-android-iphone-and-blackberry

iOS calendar does support multiple calendars. But not sure how it would integrate with e Windows systems. I'd got hat way but my family is all Mac or Linux, no Windows at all.

My next choice would probably be Google if you don't mind things as personal as calendar apt. being in the cloud and the inherent security risks of that.

mcogilvie

Registered
I don't think I can really make a recommendation, because I don't know your family's comfort level with multi-platform shared calendars. You might be better off with Cozi (but I'd blow off using it with Outlook in favor of web plus iOS native apps) than with Google calendar. Apple is of course moving to iCloud, which you could also use. Because iCloud is so new, it's difficult to advise on that (also, the iPod touch may or may not be upgradeable to iOS 5). You need to do more exploration of your family's needs and abilities and more research.

tjhoo

Registered
Apple

Went to Apple store today. Rep said iOS will be able to sync with OL through iCloud for separate calendars as we'd like. I'm not sure how all this will work but am willing to give it a try with native alendar app in iOS as all involved family members now will have an iOS device.

I asked how would we NOT show parents calendars, tasks on the kids' devices..she said on the device in parental settings you can hide selected calendars etc...Have yet to try this...

ommoran

Registered
Cozi

Cozi all the way. Syncs to my Blackberry and my ex-wifes iPhone. Notifications can be sent to anyone however they see fit - reminders by txt, etc. it works astoundingly well and is meant to be a family calendar.

Easy outlook integration. Easy mobile integration. Just works.

jrdouce

Registered
Google Calendar works great for my family.

We maintain a calendar for each of our kids, and for work, I use Google Calendar Sync to sync my work Outlook to a separate Google Calendar.

I can see all my calendars displayed in different colors on my G Calendar page, on any PC or my phone or iPad.

Golfnut

Registered
+1 for Google Calendar. I use it for my family of 6 + 1 joint calendar. We each have our own calendar and then we use a separate calendar for joint events. This way I can easily pick out the events "she who must be obeyed" needs me to be present at ;)

tjhoo

Registered
Golfnut;96103 said:
+1 for Google Calendar. I use it for my family of 6 + 1 joint calendar. We each have our own calendar and then we use a separate calendar for joint events. This way I can easily pick out the events "she who must be obeyed" needs me to be present at ;)

Thanks for all the above ideas from everybody.

All our family calendars originate from within my MS Outlook which is on my work network (I'm an owner). There is one main (parent) calendar for me, and a separate (child) calendar for each family member.

My family is not allowed access to my work network.

What I'd like to do would be to have (on his/her iOS device):
-wife access to and edit all calendars
-each child have access to and be able to edit ONLY his/her OWN calendar

Is it possible to do this with Google Calendars in iOS? If so, any pointers how? Seems like for this to work, would need Google Calendar to sync with a "child" calendar in Outlook.

AE Thanh

Registered
Like everyone said, you're fine with Google Calendar.

You can setup one main calendar for the whole family and every member will have read-only access to it. You can set it up so certain people can edit while others can't.

Then each family can have his/her own calendar. You can add other people to your own calendar give it read+write access. Google Calendar allows this so it's perfect for your own situation.

The benefit of a web-based calendar is that everyone can use their own favorite program and OS to access their calendar(s).

RMCampbell

Registered
Cozi - I love it!

I have started using Cozi to manage the many things that I do except work:

I work full time

In addition:

I am president our local chapter of a professional organization
I am my pastor's personal secretary
I am my church assistant secretary
I am assistant bookstore manager at my church
I am in charge of registration at a statewide conference three times per year
I am in charge of my church calendar - scheduling activities for at least a dozen groups
I am in charge of all rentals held at my church
I lead our Financial Peace University sessions
I am training to complete a 50 mile bike ride in July
I am the mother of eight (now adults), and grandmother of 10 (12 by September)

Cozi is free. It is web based (www.cozi.com), and I can pull it up on my smart phone with the Cozi app. You can make changes / additions / updates to your cozi account using your smarphone, and they sync automatically with the website.

I can set it up so that it syncs to my existing calendars, and it has its own calendar function. It allows you to upload existing public calendars - like school calendars or sporting team calendars. It links to Flylady action lists and calendars (if you don't know what that is, go to flylady.org).

It is color coded (which is the only way I've been able to survive the zillion things that I do). It sends reminders / alerts as you instruct it to, either to your email or text messages to your cell phone. You can email your lists to whoever you wish.

The best part is that can be shared by many members of the same family. One account is set up with one family password. Additional emails can be added, and all will use the same family email.

I have always very successfully used a paper planner, and NEVER thought I'd consider going electronic. I think that if I use this in conjuction with GTD, I may be able to switch to an electronic system.

Looking forward to mastering the GTD program, and using Cozi to help me get to the promised land!

Candid

Registered
When I switched to an Android phone last spring I had to make this same decision, Google is the way to go. I know that there were things Cozi couldn't do that Google could (although I don't remember what). Your wife will be able to be set up to change things on the kid's calendars off of her own calendar in Google. You won't have problems adding pre-done events from outside sources. They go into Google calendar like a gem. Finally, you can still use the Outlook Calendar if you like, Google will sync with your Outlook, but I think only your own events will sync, so when you need a global picture, you'll need to either use your phone or the web view.

batwater

Registered
Candid;98927 said:
When I switched to an Android phone last spring I had to make this same decision, Google is the way to go. I know that there were things Cozi couldn't do that Google could (although I don't remember what). Your wife will be able to be set up to change things on the kid's calendars off of her own calendar in Google. You won't have problems adding pre-done events from outside sources. They go into Google calendar like a gem. Finally, you can still use the Outlook Calendar if you like, Google will sync with your Outlook, but I think only your own events will sync, so when you need a global picture, you'll need to either use your phone or the web view.

If you have outlook for work (could be something else) and Google for everything else (could be multiple google calendars) you can use a gem of a software program called Pure Calendar Widget. This wonderful little application will let you combine multiple calendars into one view on your Android phone/tablet desktop.

So in my scenario, I have my work calendar, nothing but work related stuff on it, my own personal calendar and the family calendar (wife's calendar ;) ) they all show up in one list, color coded based on what calendar they came from. If I need to look at something selecting that entry brings up the appropriate calendar program to manage said entry. This one application has allowed me to realize the convergence I have been looking for in a smart device without having the hassles trynig to sync from one system to another. (not allowed for the corporate email/calendar in my case anyway)

Excellent application, highly recommend!!! (BTW, not affiated in any way)

-Ben