Printable Workflow chart?

B

Bernard

Is there a printable diagram of the workflow chart exactly like the one in the book. The one on DA website does not match the one in the book and I don't like the quality of photocopies.

peter_g

Registered
Check this chart out...

Bernard:

At the risk of not answering your question regarding the original chart, this advanced chart is definitely worth checking out if you haven't see it yet.

http://www.davidco.com/pdfs/gtd_workflow_advanced.pdf

This chart is so cool, that I printed it in high-quality colour, laminated it, and carry it as part of my mobile "current support" file!

Regards,
Peter

TesTeq

Registered
GTD copyright issues.

Check with David Allen Company if you can use the printouts for your purposes. In his own blog David posted the information about tightening the rules of allowable GTD uses and new strict Intellectual Property policy.
TesTeq

G

advanced chart

in the process section it refers to '300-400 times a day'. Surely its better to process 2-3 times maximum a day

ceehjay

Registered
TesTeq said:
Check with David Allen Company if you can use the printouts for your purposes. In his own blog David posted the information about tightening the rules of allowable GTD uses and new strict Intellectual Property policy.
TesTeq
As I read it, David very clearly said that if it was for personal use and any attribution was to David Allen, there would be no problem. The problem arises when people imply that they have some affiliation with David Allen/GTD OR that they have approval of David for something they have developed, or they are using his or their own materials for personal gain, passing off their materials as GTD/DA approved.

If you use these guidelines, printing and laminating the workflow chart for personal use is not a problem. I have a folder of newsletter, tips and tools, and coaching printouts for reminders when I begin to lapse and don't have time to read the book. They are motivators for me. Even though they are for personal use, I still add the David Allen copyright at the bottom. It's only fair that David gets credit should someone else ask to see my notes.

Carolyn

cyberscribe

Senior Associate, Next Action Associates
Flow Chart Wallpaper

I've even heard of some people using the flow chart as their desktop background.

U

Unregistered

cyberscribe said:
I've even heard of some people using the flow chart as their desktop background.

I did that for while when I was first learning/appying the methodology. Helped a lot.

R

Red Dog

peter_g said:
Bernard:

At the risk of not answering your question regarding the original chart, this advanced chart is definitely worth checking out if you haven't see it yet.

http://www.davidco.com/pdfs/gtd_workflow_advanced.pdf

This chart is so cool, that I printed it in high-quality colour, laminated it, and carry it as part of my mobile "current support" file!

Regards,
Peter
I'm a newbie, just got the book, on chp 3.
Thanks for the link.

peter_g

Registered
300-400 times a day...

guest said:
in the process section it refers to '300-400 times a day'. Surely its better to process 2-3 times maximum a day

I think the intent of the "300-400 times a day" reference in the advanced workflow chart is to capture and recognize the idea that, in the course of an average day, you are probably faced with several hundred individual "inputs" each of which, under the GTD methodology, require a decision (even a quick one) about next actions and desired outcomes.

Processing certain types of work - such as inboxes, emails, and voicemail messages are probably better suited to processing several times a day.

Hope this makes sense.
Peter

R

Red Dog

Unregistered said:
I did that for while when I was first learning/appying the methodology. Helped a lot.
Anyone have a copy of it as a Jpeg? or file wallpaper would work with?
The PDF file won't work.
You can PM me or email.

thanks!

Jeff K

Registered
Ubiquitous Capture Tool... move IT closer to you

That's what is symbolized on the workflow diagram - keep your UCT (Ubiquitous capture tool) close at hand. It could be a notepad, a palmpilot, a voice recorder..... or a tatooing device, like the main charachter in the movie "momento".

Jeff

peter_g

Registered
Another angle on "move closer"...

Jeff K said:
That's what is symbolized on the workflow diagram - keep your UCT (Ubiquitous capture tool) close at hand. It could be a notepad, a palmpilot, a voice recorder..... or a tatooing device, like the main charachter in the movie "momento".

Jeff

Actually, I have a different angle on "Move Closer" - though Jeff's is an excellent take on the question as well.

I see it as "Moving Closer" to the critical "GTD state" where every item on your lists (including those project lists where it's critical to have a next-action defined for every project in order to move them forward) represents a true, actionable next action, not some undoable task definition, and also represents full capture of all open loops - hence Jeff's reference to the capture tool and its critical role in getting real mental mileage out of GTD.

Just another example where the methodology becomes very personal for each individual - part of the power of the GTD approach!

Regards,
Peter