Printing out these forum pages

K

Kudzu2u

I wanted to generate some feedback. I like to print out the good discussions on this forum; however, I find that even landscape printing no longer will prevent text from being chopped off. How many would like this to be fixed... perhaps a "printer friendly" option button?

Thanks,
Gordon

ScottL

Registered
I can't say for certain as I haven't tried printing any of these pages, but I use mozilla (1.3) as a browser and it generally solves this problem (you'd think microsoft could have solved this by now).

Scott

M

me_brown1110

Fineprint

I used fineprint but had to set the IE print setup to print landscape instead of portrait.

P

PamG

If you have a PalmOS device... I use Snapture (http://www.bluesquirrel.com/products/Snapture/). Allows me to highlight/select precise text desired, press Alt-F12 to grab it, then additional text via Alt-F11, for one Palm doc file (or memo- your choice), which auto-syncs during next HotSync. Read with your preferred doc reader. (I stash these on my expansion card, under the iSilo directory-- where they are searchable via iSilo, despite card location). This one app purchase has been THE key to absolutely minimizing paper piles in my life. Note- if you do not have a PDA, simply grab the created plain text files from the app's directory.

Free alternative = Plucker. (Don't use it, but I suspect it can be used without a PDA.) (http://www.plkr.org)

A

Anonymous

printing lists

I use a tip a friend of mine gave me.

1.I set up, in outlook, an email formated in plain text,
2.do a control+A to select entire list
3. Ctrl + C to copy list
4. Ctrl + V to paste in the body of the email converted to plain text
5. I delete the headings and whatever else I don't want
6. Then I copy it into Word; and reformat the list.

This way I can save the list or print and delete.

This is a cool method that will work on any forum. And it used programs that I already had.

Bridgette

whkratz

Registered
In IE display the topic that you would like to preserve in print. Go to File|Edit with Microsoft Word on the menu bar. Word will open and display the forum topic. On the Word menu bar, select File|Page Setup, and click the "Landscape" option under "Orientation". Print. You should get a nice, complete rendition of the selected thread.

Hope that helps.

A

Anonymous

Paste Special

You could also open MS Word and use this sequence:

ctrl+ A to select the all the text of the discussion you want to print;
ctrl+ V to copy;
now goto MS Word (alt+ tab and tab to MS Word);
:arrow: then Edit> Special Paste (alt+ E, S);
high light 'unformatted text' ;
hit enter .

Presto! You're ready to print without the cropped text.

hl

A

awebber

I have taken DA's thoughts on looking for a simple elegant solution to heart, and printing web pages is no exception. If you use Netscape, go to Print Preview under File, set the scale to 70% and hit print. All done.

Alan

A

Anonymous

Printing

I find this a humorous thread. I both appreciate the advise/instructions re how to print but seems to me we've lost sight of a value computers were supposed to bring to our lives-they're a tool, an aid. Computers have become more useful as they've become more user friendly. I'm surprised you had to ask this question-you should make this site as userfriendly as possible-if that means adding a button to allow printing so the entire body is printed-do it-anything that requires clicking more than twice detracts from each of our primary purposes-getting things done. Now I know I've violated the 2 minute rule in typing this but it's just my opinion. thank you-otherwise I find the method and this site very helpful.

R

Renger

Printing with Adobe

One easy way to print everything is using Adobe Acrobat. I use the new version (6) and can send these pages to a pdf-file and print it afterwards. If you have an earlier version you can just print it using the adobe printer.

A

Anonymous

simply !

I've just tried simply copy/paste in a word document and it printed like charm ! (I have Microsoft Word 2000)

cheers :wink:
Ludmilla

whitesco

Registered
Maybe I missed the actual point of the post, but if it's a printer-friendly option you're looking for, it's been available in the forums for years.

At the top of each individual thread (not the top of the forum) is a heading called "thread tools", and one of the options therein is "show printable version". That should prevent the text truncation that you get printing it straight from the forum. I use it when I want to print something to keeps as a .pdf (using Cute PDF as a pseudo printer).