Problem tracking long multi-session next actions

Taher Alkhateeb

Registered
Hello,

Sometimes, I have a task like say writing a long document which just takes too long, so I have to break it down to multiple sessions. There is nothing different between the sessions, I just have to sit at a computer and continue typing.

Putting these kinds of tasks into next actions is not working for me and makes the next action lists stale. If on the other hand, I turn these tasks into projects, they become too much data entry (not worth it). It's just something to repeat for a few sessions until completed.

So where to place this? The tickler forces you to wait to next day so it doesn't work; the checklist is for building habits, not for tasks with a specific ending outcome. If I make it into a project, then it's just going to have a bunch of next actions all phrased exactly the same (continue writing the X document) and it forces me to mark the next action done, and create a new one immediately for the next identical session.

Appreciate any help, I've been stuck with this specific point for a while

treelike

Registered
So where to place this? The tickler forces you to wait to next day so it doesn't work; the checklist is for building habits, not for tasks with a specific ending outcome. If I make it into a project, then it's just going to have a bunch of next actions all phrased exactly the same (continue writing the X document) and it forces me to mark the next action done, and create a new one immediately for the next identical session.

I think it is a project. There is always a way to break a task down into smaller chunks. For example writing a document could involve:
  • Rough plan for document
    • List points I want to make/subjects covered
    • Decide on style
  • Gather together images required (if applicable)
  • Make sure any required reference material is quickly available
  • Write down any phrases/thoughts I definitely want in there (sort out where they go later)
  • Review document for errors
Also you might have a better idea how to write some parts of the document- so just go do them first (as next actions) but other parts you might need to work on further, re-read reference material, etc. It doesn't need to be done in order, as long as you read the thing as a whole at the end (another next action). The advantage of breaking it up like this is that you have "incubation time" in between next actions during which you might think of a better way to phrase something (put it in your inbox).

The reward for the effort of breaking up these kind of tasks into smaller ones is that it makes them more interesting therefore, not only are you are more motivated to do them, but the outcome is likely to be more successful- in the example above, a document that is more agreeable to read.

Taher Alkhateeb

Registered
Okay, I think this makes sense. I'm not doing enough "processing" but just trying to churn results too quickly. You shouldn't be too broad or too granular I guess.

Okay this helps, thank you!

treelike

Registered
Okay, I think this makes sense. I'm not doing enough "processing" but just trying to churn results too quickly.
Yes, but you only realised that when you went and tried to do it. If keeping "Go write document" on the list had worked then great. Sometimes you don't realise it's not a next action until you actually try and do it.
You shouldn't be too broad or too granular I guess.
Whatever motivates you to go do it. Sometimes this means thinking of an entirely different way forward.
Okay this helps, thank you!
Your welcome!

KNielsen

Registered
a better idea how to write some parts of the document
.. in addition to breaking the project/task into different discrete parts, that actually can be done indepently of another, a tip I got, that can put a next action of a writing process when you have to stop at the moment and continue after a while.

When you get to the end of the day (if that concludes your writing as well) or a writing-/working-on-the-document session and are taking a fair break of e.g. three hours, you have to stop working at some point and at that very moment you stop, write down the next step(s) you would take, if you could continue.
It could be a specific idea you wanted to elaborate on, keywords for a paragraph you have outlined in your head etc.

When you see the next action of "writing the report"-project and see "elaborate on the great idea of XYZ", your future-mind might go: "Oh, yeah! Brilliantly thought Taher! This is going to be another great writing day - let me get going ->" :D

Last edited:

TesTeq

Registered
When you see the next action of "writing the report"-project and see "elaborate on the great idea of XYZ", your future-mind might go: "Oh, yeah! Brilliantly thought Thaer! This is going to be another great writing day - let me get going ->" :D
Yes! I've experienced it while writing my book. For example several times I wrote down: "Incorporate this great idea from my blog post X".

CamJPete

Registered
I'm writing a report right now for work that will probably take three months from start to finish. I have the project in my projects list as: "Instrumentation Plan and Report Drafted". (Right now completing a draft is my project. It's review and formal release I have deemed as a separate project.)

Most of my personal projects have very few project plans and support material. But this professional project has hundreds of pieces of information that I need to track. I basically dump all related items into my "project support material" file that has the same title as my project in my project lists. Inside this file, I have a "project plans" folder (where I brainstorm, organize and choose next actions), and a "reference" folder for all other non-actionable related items (that is contained within the project support material folder).

My actions list can contain something specific such as "discuss the material of part X with the engineer in Georgia", (which took me 30 minutes to complete today); or it often just contains the single action "draft the main body of the instrumentation plan and report" (which will probably take me 10,000 minutes--no kidding). The latter action is just a simple reminder to get going on the project. If there are no other actions that take priority, I just open up my project plans and crank away on the handful of next actions. I don't take the time to write down every single next action while I am in the middle of working on it. I just choose one and work it.I usually don't need to update my actions list if all I did was draft the main body of the report. For large projects like this, I find that a simple top level action is all I need to remind me to start working on it again.