Projects list in OneNote

awalsh

Registered
Question about area of focus and master projects list using OneNote.
I'm a musician and produce my own shows.
I'm wearing a lot of hats.
I've created a few separate notebooks for those hats, like songwriting, booking, promotion in addition to the OneNote set up in the best practices download. would each of those be considered an Areas of Focus? Or a project with sub projects?

Would I keep one line for each on my master list, songwriting, booking, promotion, or put each sub project into the master project list irregardless of what area of focus it's in?

In other words make a page for each area of focus in the project master list, and the Subprojects would be listed on them.
Or just put the area of focus on the master projects list and refer to the individual notebooks for the subprojects?

Thanks,
Alex

mcogilvie

Registered
I'll take a stab at this. A project needs to have an end point, preferably a clear one. Songwriting, booking and promotion are thus probably not projects for you. They do seem to make sense as areas of focus, as major ongoing interests that drive projects. Note that booking and promoting a particular gig or even a tour would be part of a project. That's ok, because multiple areas of focus can drive the same project. For example, you might take a vacation to come together as a family, as a reward for hard work, and to heal from a recent loss. An explicit association can be difficult to implement and maintain. You should try some organizational scheme and see if it works for you. If it doesn't work well, change it. However, mixing list categories together generally leads to a lack of clarity that hampers productivity. Areas of focus are not projects, projects are not next actions. Overthinking and over-organizing are usually a waste of time too. Good luck!