Projects, Next Actions, Tasks and Outlook

kewms

Registered
wordsofwonder;58429 said:
Now, consider what happens when you break things out by type of task. I'm a photographer, writer and software geek, so I could potentially have a lot of different task types: calls/emails; shoot planning, production and post-production; writing and editing, coding, testing and debugging; errands; brainstorming and strategic planning, and so forth. What happens when I'm sitting at my desk with a computer and phone at hand and two hours of clear time? Where do I look to see what I can work on?

I'm in this situation as well. I've found that it helps to define contexts by the amount of mental energy needed. Reading all the papers from last year's widget conference and looking up my vet's phone number are both @Computer tasks, but I wouldn't want to jump from one to the other.

Other than situations like that, though, I agree that broad contexts and hard edges are good. For example, I just merged my @Office and @House lists. I work at home, so it's a purely artificial distinction.

Katherine

wordsofwonder

Registered
kewms;58431 said:
I've found that it helps to define contexts by the amount of mental energy needed. Reading all the papers from last year's widget conference and looking up my vet's phone number are both @Computer tasks, but I wouldn't want to jump from one to the other.

Katherine, I'm curious - do you find that putting high-energy tasks into a separate context helps more than simply tagging them on your list? I tend to indicate tasks on my @Office list like so:

• (+) This is a high-energy-demand task
  • This is a normal task
  • (-) This is a low-energy-demand task

I'm thinking about what you wrote, and I'm trying to decide if splitting those out into separate contexts would help me or not. I've personally found that I need to keep my number of contexts at a minimum if I'm to avoid stuff slipping through the cracks. For example, I've merged my @Office and @Computer lists, because I'm only rarely working at a computer that's not in my office. I use my @Home list only for non-work stuff around the house, like "Tidy up the kitchen".

I suspect this is a very personal set of decisions for each person, but I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

-- Tammy

sweat

Registered
Right now, I think I'm spending more time relabeling my lists and re-organizing than actually getting things done.... But, I'm feel myself moving in the right direction, so there is progress.

I downloaded Kelly Forrister's podcast, which was very helpful and I completely get the context thing now. But, I have two new questions.

The first has to do with interacting with others. How do I overkill with setting contexts for being in front of somebody? I could easily have 15 contexts by people's names alone. This would work fine with paper folders, but it would be a lot to sort through with Outlook.

The second is with Project Lists. Do I set up a master task list that has everything I need for complete the project and then multiple items that are categorized by the project and the context?

For example, say I need to create specs. Would I have a create specs project with a create specs task in Outlook that lists all of the actions I need to do to complete the project. Then I would have separate tasks assigned to contexts to complete the project (e.g. one might have a category of Create Specs and @Computer or @Call, etc.)

Thanks.