Putting Things Away -- The Book I Want Allen To Write Next

J

JonathanAquino

JonathanAquino said:
I went to the dollar store and got myself two baskets: one for pens and one for everything else.

But this is what works for me personally - you might want to read Julie Morgenstern's "Organizing From The Inside Out" and brainstorm your own solution.

Here is a photo of my "stationery drawer", showing the two baskets:
1730054_1a4b66cc53.jpg

http://jonaquino.blogspot.com/2004/11/how-i-solved-stationery-problem.html

A

Anonymous

Congrats on doing something about your drawer! The only problems I see with this arrangement is that you still can't just reach for something and put your hand right on it. You have to fish around thru the writing tools to get what you want. Personally, I hate having to do that, because I always scrape my hand on pencil points and pens I forgot to cap. The basket of desk sundries will require you to paw thru it, too, every time you need something that might be lurking under that box of pens. With my luck, every time I reached in that basket I'd graze my wrist on the serrated metal edge of the tape dispenser.

I do not mean to be hypercritical and really do admire your going right out and getting those baskets. My points go to the notion that things like object retrieval should not require a search mission, however nominal. That takes you off task. In a mind like water, this is silt.

Just one person's opinion. I was once an office manager and administrator, maybe I'm too focused on these things.

J

JonathanAquino

Ah - sounds like you want more convenient stationery access.

I'd like to clarify that my stationery drawer is a long-term storage area rather than a place I access daily. For daily use I have a small basket that sits on top of my desk, containing the few things I use most frequently:

1737029_433272bb05.jpg

http://jonaquino.blogspot.com/2004/11/quick-access-to-stationery.html

Of course, this is just what works for me - your needs are probably different.

A

Anonymous

JonathanAquino said:
Ah - sounds like you want more convenient stationery access.

I'd like to clarify that my stationery drawer is a long-term storage area rather than a place I access daily. For daily use I have a small basket that sits on top of my desk, containing the few things I use most frequently:

1737029_433272bb05.jpg

http://jonaquino.blogspot.com/2004/11/quick-access-to-stationery.html

Of course, this is just what works for me - your needs are probably different.

Jonathon!!

LOL

At about 3 a.m. this morning, I did a "Desk DUMP" AND..... one of the things that went onto the 'finished' desk is the twin to your white basket.

I've not yet finished reading the book -- but I was really fascinated with this little mini-collection of one small area -- how many items TRULY did belong in an "IN-Box" -- and ofcourse, much of the rest belonged in the circular file.

When I came to this board today, I clicked on the link to the latest posting to this thread, and was FASCINATED to see the direct resemblances between our desks, lol.

I found the white plastic container in the basement around 3:30 am, LOL.

I'm sure I didn't do it according to Perfect Protocols of GTD -- however, reading posts by all you enthusiastic energetic people and slowly reading David's book made me want to START ---- however, I don't want to really start until I fully understand the system.

I've got a version of the 2-Minute Rule that goes something like, "Are you willing to devote to THREE minutes to this specific un-finished biz --- or do you wanna have to process it later on when you formally set up the GTD procedures?"

I've got all sorts of loose loops tied up, finished & done, LOL

GettingMuchDone

Registered
Grateful said:
One of the most distinguishing characteristic of Allen's GTD book is its total lack of psychobabble and instead, simply HOW you gtd.

Agreed! That's what I find compelling as well. Let's cut thru the bs and devise a strategy for being on top of the "pile" - and David Allen has done just that.

The other thing that's just as bad as the psychobabble is, "...even though things are out of control, tell yourself you a great manager of time." LOL! Yeah, right, lying to yourself is really going to help. Haaaaaaahahahahaha.

randystokes

Registered
I use a system at home and at work that are, I think, much like an extrapolation of GTD to putting things away (and being able to retrieve them). Here, I'm talking about physical, three dimensional objects, as opposed to filing papers in a general reference file.

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a whole punch of clear plastic boxes, about shoe box size, with snap on lids. I then put them on bookshelves, and as I dropped stuff in the boxes, I printed out a label on my label maker and stuck it on the end of the box. Now, I've got stacks of boxes, neatly organized on shelves, with what amounts to a neatly printed index on the outward end of each box. I don't worry about alphabetizing the stuff, or even with necessarily grouping similar things in the same box. When I need to find something, I can quickly scan over the "indexes" on the ends of the boxes and find what I need -- never takes more than about 10 seconds, tops, to find what I need.

Like others, I have pen/pencil holders, a little paper clip holder, etc. on my desk, and tape and a few other frequently used supplies neatly organized in a drawer, but most stuff is in the boxes (including boxes of more clips when I run out, spare batteries, etc., plus extra computer cables, refills for my Notetaker wallet and pen, additional printer cartridges for my inkjet printer, and so on).

Also, I have the same system at home and at work (including general reference filing system). The only thing I don't duplicate at home is my tickler file -- that resides solely at the office.

Randy

DallasLawyer

Registered
I've found that GTD works as well for me at home as it does in the office. As I've mentioned before, I've also picked up some great tips from FlyLady (www.flylady.net), though I haven't bought into her whole system, as I have with GTD. A few other things that have worked well for me at home:

1. More than any other single thing, following DA's advice about a filing system has been a godsend for me at home. In the past, I had read "expert" advice about setting up a home filing system -- those "experts" tended to recommended very complex, micro-organized, color-coded filing systems with indexes, subcategories, and everything. Good grief! Even if I had time to set up such a system, who could maintain it? The simplicity of DA's system -- one filing cabinet for everything, no organization to it at all except that every individual item is in alphabetical order -- is what makes it work for me. That, plus his "permission" to create a file folder for a single piece of paper, which I do all the time. Finally, it is easy for me to decide what to do with all of those papers floating around my house! Whew!! A bonus is that my husband can find things when I'm gone and doesn't need an index or an instruction manual to understand the filing system.

2. Since I hate filing and tend to "pile" instead of "file," I made everyday filing easy on myself by putting a big accordion file folder in my kitchen. The pockets are labeled A-Z, but I relabeled them "utilities," "health insurance," etc. When I need to file a bill, an Explanation of Benefits from my health plan, etc., I can just stick it right into the file which is always at my fingertips. I also have one pocket for "bills to pay" which I review once a week. At the end of the year, I put the whole thing into the attic and start a new one. This works well for papers that you want to keep only for a certain number of years; at the end of that period, you can drop the whole thing into the dumpster (or shredder).

3. Similar system for receipts: one envelope for June, another envelope for July, etc. I throw each envelope away after about 2 months -- plenty of time for me to decide whether I'm going to keep the items or return them.

4. I bought "Responsibilities" charts for my kids (ages 5 & 7) and put them on the fridge. Each week, they get a reward if they accumulate a set number of check marks for things such as "put away toys" and "empty trash." Now I don't have to nag them to pick up their stuff.

5. Last but not least: liberal use of trash can, recycling bin, and bags left on my door by charities looking for donations. I learned this from FlyLady. I am trying to get as much stuff out of my house as I can.

A

Anonymous

The only problems I see with this arrangement is that you still can't just reach for something and put your hand right on it. You have to fish around thru the writing tools to get what you want.

If you want a specific thing frequently, make a convenient place for that specific thing, or some small number of specific things.

If you have tons of writing implements but can divide them into a few useful categories (black pen, blue pen, pencil, highlighters, permanent markers, marker board markers), you have 2 choices: 1) sort them into 6 appropriately-sized containers, or 2) get rid of all the excess, or at least relegate them to longer-term storage and replace as necessary. I personally keep 1 or 2 of each type I often use handy on my desktop, and store all the backups in one container in a desk drawer.

(The Container Store sells some custom drawer dividers that are awesome for this kind of thing -- completely customizable. Whenever you store lots of small things in big drawers, these dividers RULE.)

If you have 100 completely different writing tools and need to put your hand instantly on THE EXACT one you want, you need a pen-organizing system that is beyond the scope of any organizing book I've seen, and I bet that David Allen doesn't have an instant solution for you either. But I'm sure you can figure out something that will work well enough for you.

-andersons