Recommendations for a list manager?

thirteenth_step

Registered
Hi,

My current system involves using Google Tasks as my primary Inbox, I'm quite mobile in my job so I need something that's with me all the time. I have access to my Google tasks on both my iPhone and PC so that's not a problem and it works for me. I also have a paper inbox at work and at home on my desk for letters and other stuff that cannot be stored electronically.

The problem I have is that I can't find a good system to store after it has been processed. I'm currently using an online service called 'Nirvana GTD' (www.nirvanahq.com) and It's not that great, I don't like the UI.

What list managers do you all use? How do you store all your lists once you have moved them out of 'In' Is there a list manager out there which I can use on my iPhone aswell as when I'm at a PC?

Thanks!

bishblaize

Registered
I've recently switched to Toodledo. I helped someone get set up with a simple GTD system and got struck that my system (using OneNote) was no longer meeting my needs.

My ideal system right now is just a very simple list manager, because I'm using Evernote to store all my support material. Toodledo is working very nicely.

There's a free version but I paid for the premium one which allows sub-tasks, but thats not really essential, just depends on how you like things.

It syncs with various offline programmes (I use TaskAngel for Windows) so you dont need to be online all the time, and it has an excellent Android app (I have an android phone and tablet).

So it suits me.

PaulK

Registered
bishblaize, which Android app are you using for Toodledo?

I was using PocketInformant to see actions by context, but am testing Ultimate To Do List because it seems to support sub tasks in a different context to the parent task.

mcogilvie

Registered
thirteenth_step;91816 said:
The problem I have is that I can't find a good system to store after it has been processed. I'm currently using an online service called 'Nirvana GTD' (www.nirvanahq.com) and It's not that great, I don't like the UI.

What list managers do you all use? How do you store all your lists once you have moved them out of 'In' Is there a list manager out there which I can use on my iPhone aswell as when I'm at a PC?

Your two best choices are probably Toodledo and Remember the Milk. Both are web services with syncing iPhone apps. I think the RTM app is prettier, but Toodledo is more customizable, and has a nice new web UI. What don't you like about Nirvana?

thirteenth_step

Registered
mcogilvie;91821 said:
Your two best choices are probably Toodledo and Remember the Milk. Both are web services with syncing iPhone apps. I think the RTM app is prettier, but Toodledo is more customizable, and has a nice new web UI. What don't you like about Nirvana?

The problem I have with Nirvana is that it's a web app, which is annoying to use on the iphone and PC - especially when internet connectivity is lost. I'd rather have the ability to manage my toodledo content with Taskangel while on my PC's and then use 2do when on my iPhone, this way I can carry on adding tasks and (like google tasks and the app I have to manage that) it will just sync when the connectivity comes back.

I think that's what I'm going to do.

mhm802

Registered
I'm using Toodledo (free version) with Ultimate To Do as my Android app. Very happy with the set up. Stable, flexible, lots of options for customizing your system. The free version is extremely powerful, but I'm considering upgrading to premium, mainly because I like the product so much and wish to support it.

mcogilvie

Registered
thirteenth_step;91822 said:
The problem I have with Nirvana is that it's a web app, which is annoying to use on the iphone and PC - especially when internet connectivity is lost. I'd rather have the ability to manage my toodledo content with Taskangel while on my PC's and then use 2do when on my iPhone, this way I can carry on adding tasks and (like google tasks and the app I have to manage that) it will just sync when the connectivity comes back.

I think that's what I'm going to do.

It's not what I currently use, but I think one of the advantages of using Toodledo as the core is that you can try different software that syncs with it. However, I think that the native Toodledo app+web are more flexible than 3rd-party software. But YMMV. Good Luck!

AJS

Registered
I had the same problem with Nirvana, while the web app is very well implemented, the mobile app isn't native so can take some time to load. I used Toodledo for a while and the native app options are numerous and you can get some great features with some of them. I have an android phone which means you can set up widgets. I used to have a screen set up with my Calendar in the top half and to do list in the bottom. Incredibly useful view. Only trouble is the 3rd party mobile apps don't always reflect the toodledo filters so it requires some juggling to get a view that works.

I have found the best two web apps that offer native mobile clients are GetItDoneApp and Doit.im. I am using GetItDone these days. The mobile app is still a bit rough around the edges but it's native and it works, and the web app looks and feels great for me personally. It won't be for everyone though as the implementation isn't the most intuitive.

human

Registered
Another Toodledo Fan

I use the paid version of Toodledo -- mostly because I get a lot of emailed files as part of my tasks, and it's so handy just to forward the email (along with its attached file) to Toodledo for later processing and doing.

Another thing I like is just how easy it is to customize Toodledo to fit the way you think. I have a pretty weird configuration: with folders set to help me decide on the next action verb and goals as my projects. Toodledo makes it pretty easy to make it work, no matter what crazy setup works for you. Oh, I have an Android and use the Ultimate To-Do List for mobile GTD-ing.

bishblaize

Registered
PaulK;91819 said:

I was using PocketInformant to see actions by context, but am testing Ultimate To Do List because it seems to support sub tasks in a different context to the parent task.

Its called DGT GTD

tommysqueak

Registered
I'm about to review about 10 apps that you might find helpful, as I'm looking for a similar setup because I have different PCs and need mobile access too.

http://tomphilip.me/index.php/gtd-app-review-introduction/http://

PaulK;91819 said:

Due Today looks nice too. I'm going to cover it as part of my review

Tspall

Registered
I'm using Remember the Milk. (both web and iPhone) I use the tags for labeling the tasks with contexts, using smart lists for organizing by context. Each item goes into a list that's it's own project. This way, I can look at things by project or context, depending on what I need at that moment.