Reliable PDAs??

R

ramses

Hi.

Are there any reliable --i.e., it won't die within the first month-- PDAs on the market right now?

After spending 4 hours processing my "in-stuff" (I'm a n00b GTDer) on a new Palm Z22, it died miserably, for no reason at all, in less than one day. I bought it dismissing all the "early death" reviews I read on Amazon posted on different iPaq and Palm models (shouldn't have).

I used to work with a Palm V, which was definitely the best PDA ever, but I accidentally slammed it against the floor, so I've been looking for a new PDA.

I don't want to use the hipster PDA :)

I think that for now I'll work with VIM+vimoutliner+CVS+SSH+rsync to maintain my lists sync'ed between my office and my home. But not having an easy way to take all that info with me, wherever I go, and take notes/update it, is going to be an inconvenience.

Thanks.

Ramses Morales.

br4978

Registered
I wouldn't give up on the Palm, despite the failure of your current unit. I've been using Palms (4 different models) for over 8 years without any issues like you've described.

Admittedly I have no experience with the Z22, but it's reputed to be pretty solid. If yours is only a month old, I suggest you get a replacement from Palm (surely the warranty is still in effect) and try again.

- MB

R

ramses

br4978 said:
If yours is only a month old

My Z22 was 20 hours old when it died, and I'm sending it back; sorry I wasn't clear on my post.

I still have the Tungsten E2 on my mind, but I'm afraid to buy it because there are many reviews on Amazon talking about early deaths (even within a day). After witnessing my Z22 die in 20 hours, now I believe those reviews.

:-(

mcogilvie

Registered
ramses said:
My Z22 was 20 hours old when it died, and I'm sending it back; sorry I wasn't clear on my post.

I still have the Tungsten E2 on my mind, but I'm afraid to buy it because there are many reviews on Amazon talking about early deaths (even within a day). After witnessing my Z22 die in 20 hours, now I believe those reviews.

:-(

Infant mortality is a good thing, particularly in a model that is newly introduced. It allows the manufacturer to correct manufacturing problems that are relatively rare quickly. Look at the dates of the posts, and look for the pattern. What you really want to avoid are recurrent problems. I would stick with Palm.

stsanford

Registered
Have you considered a Pocket PC?
I've been using Palm and Pocket PC for the better part of the last decade, and have to say that while I started out loving Palm, Pocket PC allows you to be much more flexible, it really is a PC in your pocket.

I'm currently using a converged device, a PocketPC phone and make terrific use of it for billing, banking, e-mail, contacts, appointments, it's like my mini-office away from the office.

While you can do all of this with a Palm, the fact that the new Treo phone / pda is using Windows Mobile makes me thing that the lifespan for the PalmOS may be not as long as you might think.

YMMV,
Scott

TesTeq

Registered
Satisfied users do not post such reviews.

ramses said:
Satisfied users do not post such reviews but rather are happy using their PDAs. Even hundreds of bad reviews are not representative for millions PDAs sold by Palm.

J

JonathanAquino

Axims have a good reputation. Wish I got a decent case for mine - screen is doing funny things.

pswets

Registered
Axim

I've had an Axim X5 for three years now, and counting. It has been a fantastic machine for me.

Jason Echols

Registered
pswets said:
I've had an Axim X5 for three years now, and counting. It has been a fantastic machine for me.

I will second that. My wife gave me an Axim X5 when I got my MBA three years ago...and I am still using it. I will probably upgrade soon with another Axim. But only for more power and a smaller unit.

altruologist

Registered
Reliable PDA

The best PDA I have ever owned is my Toshiba e830 with wi-fi. I live in Australia and it was quite pricey. This machine is fast, reliable, and can operate with a few programs running concurrently without affecting performance. I would recommend this one over the all the others in my graveyard of expensive experimentation (including some short lived Palm products). I guess the only one that comes close was my Psion 5mx....it was a sad day when they stopped making those!

R

ramses

Thanks for your help.

I decided I'll give Palm another try. So far everything is going well with the new Z22.

About HP/DELL PDAs... I thought about them, but decided that I don't like PDAs with laptop-computer envy :) That is just a matter of preference, obviously.