Resisting email @actions - suggestions?

A

Anonymous

Re: Handling Email @Action folder

Ambar: From my own experience, I can suggest two ways of handling the email @Action folder.

The first way is the easiest. Try renaming the folder something like "@Email Mini-Projects" to help change the way you are thinking about the emails. Then, customize the view for that folder so that you have a blank column (e.g. add a never-used field such as "Mileage" to the view). Now print out this view. In the blank column on the print out, write in the very next action (in pencil if possible so you can update it easily) needed to move that email forward. Then follow the usual system ... do it if it is 2m or less, otherwise put it on NA list, etc.

The second way is probably the best in the long run b/c it applies to many situations, but it takes time to develop. Essentially I am talking about self-coaching. This gets into the problem at the level that Coz identifies, but with a simpler approach. In implementing GTD, did you ever find yourself imagining David Allen or one of his coaches standing beside you, directing you step by step? For example: "Ok, you've got some time before that next meeting ... I want you to open up the @Action folder ... let's review the first item ... What is it? ... Is it actionable? ... What's the next action? ...etc".

Does it seem like it would be easier this way? For me, the answer is yes! But why?!? In my imagined scenario, DA was not offering any new secret information that was helping me, so why was it easier with a coach beside me than on my own? This was my personal conundrum. Was it the social pressure of "someone watching me"? Maybe, but in my imagined scenario, I didn't really feel any pressure. I came to the conclusion that it was the "walk-through" pacing that was the key. The most effective way I've found to re-create that "walk-through" pacing is by talking out loud to myself. Naturally, you'll need a little privacy at first to test this out, but give it a try. Also, you may feel a little schizophrenic, but it can really help to make it a 2-way conversation ... your "coaching side" giving you instructions and your "emotional side" expressing your reactions ("aw man, this email is going to be a pain, that guy is so vague ... etc"). After a couple of these slow motion sessions, the emotional pain should have dissipated quite a bit and you should be able to go faster (and without talking out loud, hehe). From then on, you'll only need to return to this method when you slip a bit or otherwise find the pain of dealing with these emails increasing.

HTH

V

Vik

Avoidance

I recognize the described double effect of making lists :
a. I feel good because I wrote it down in my list, I worked on it ;
b. it can be avoiding behaviour, because I'm not actually doing anything to move forward.

I compare my behaviour with the behaviour of my wife. When something has to be done, she never writes it down. She does it immediately, or she stores it in her memory, and does it later, when it pops up again. She has the a ability of doing things immediately. Style : first act, then think.
She says : why using your time to write it down, in the same amount of time I just do it (or start doing it).

I cannot work in that way. I prefer first to think, and then to act. The problem is of course that while first thinking, many reasons may come up not to act.

So from time to time we have our good reasons the criticize the other's way of doing. But we have a good marriage, and we learn from each other.

E

earlofmar11

I'm currently re-reading the book, and this reminds me of something I read in there. DA justifies the "2 minute rule" by saying that 2 minutes is about the limit where it is more efficient to just do it than to put it on a next action list...

Marc.

A

Anonymous

A helpful book

I am a hardened procrastinator, but I am slowly getting better at it.
An excellent book about getting yourself to change is "Self-directed behavior" by Watson & Tharp. It has helped me keep on track with GTD and actually do it.
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0534527361/
Basically it takes a behavioural approach to personal change. It helps you put in place "antecedents" or stimuli that facilitate the behaviour you want to encourage, and consequences to reinforce the behaviour. For example, I have a paper copy of my tasks list on my desk all the time, on the very top, so I cannot avoid seeing how long it is. Makes it less easy to avoid. And for a long while, I rewarded myself copiously every time I actually completed the weekly review. And it works - for me, at least.

C

CosmoGTD

True Comedy

I actually have that text, Self-Directed Behavior on my shelf.
It looks like a good text, nice title, nice cover, looks authoritative, scholarly, etc.
But guess what?
I haven't gotten around to reading it yet...maybe this weekend...
:wink:

Coz