seeking ideas on how to combine birds-eye (40,000) view with day to day usage of GtD

Brent

Registered
Excellent discussion so far!

I also wanted to add this quote from Getting Things Done:

"No software, seminar, cool personal planner, or personal mission statement will simplify your workday or make your choices for you as you move through your day, week, and life."

Some of this stuff is hard. Some if it can't be simplified. Some of it requires a lot of intense thought. No getting around it.

K

Karmapapa

Combining top-down planning with weekly reviews

I evolved this methodology over a number of years, in part to deal with the issues of overview, balance, and getting something do-able from vague goals. This works for me. Try it – if it works for you, great; if not, try something else.

1. Complete the freebie online “Your Best Year Yet Assessment”. You end up with clarification of values and roles, goals for the next 12 months, top 10 goals (which you can make to correspond with your top 10 roles or areas of responsibility or focus areas, whatever you want to call them), and sub-goals or projects for the next month.
2. I keep these monthly goals separate from Outlook. I use a Circus Ponies Notebook on my Mac, but have previously used a Word doc in outline format. Use whatever you like for these higher level goals.
3. This next step is optional. Sometimes I do it, sometimes I don’t have time for it. It is not entirely necessary if you proceed straight to step 4 and consistently do a weekly review that includes a quick review of monthly goals. Ironically, sometimes when things are hot its better to carve out time for it to ensure balance, or at least temporary conscious imbalance.
Anyway, step 3 is :- at the weekly review, create a weekly plan (taking the monthly goals as a template) drilling down sub-goals or projects based on the monthly plan. Again I don’t put this in Outlook. I print it & stick a copy in my 2 page per day Daytimer (pocket size), which I use only as a capture tool & journal of “Magic Moments and Accomplishments” (hey there, RPM/OPA’ers!), for occasional review.
4. Then, as part of the Weekly Review create projects and next actions from either the weekly plan (if you inserted step 3) or from the monthly plan if you did not. These do go into outlook, either through a Windoze PC at Work or via Entourage on the Mac, synced to an old iPaq (used more or less exclusively just for GTD).
5. I have categories set up for each of my personal and professional Areas of Responsibility or Focus Areas (Mind/Body/Spirit/Home-maker/Client work; business development etc) as well as the standard GTD NAs. Each project is categorised under what appears to me at the time to be the most applicable category – some projects benefit more than one area but its usually not a big deal for me to go intuitively with one area – I don’t stress out about whether this should be “there” rather than “here” – for me its enough if its somewhere! Professional Projects are key-coded (e.g. by client reference e.g. SHE/0042) but personal ones are not – its sufficient for me to look at Projects sorted by Category with the tasks collapsed which provides a simple count of the number of projects under the category headings, to see where I might be out of balance and factor that into the next weekly review.
6. Do the Weekly Review weekly, converting the goals into projects and NAs. It’s the best way I’ve found to make the associations between NAs, personal projects & goals, instead of fretting about coding them in some way. I’ve found that if I skip weekly reviews, I stop trusting the system & lose the benefit of the top-down planning from YBYY.
7. Do a Monthly Review, adjusting the annual plan as required, and repeating steps 2-6.
8. Complete the YBYY process again in 12 month’s time (also sometimes helps to do it at 6 months’ in, to check if the goalposts have moved, consciously or subconsciously).

There’s no level higher than a 12 monthly view for me, but that’s simply because I’ve never found it helpful. In part, some of the thinking that is relevant to higher altitudes is done in creating the 12 monthly plan and determining your roles/values.

This methodology has helped give me the overview the OP mentioned, whilst translating goals into projects and NAs. I’m not affiliated to YBYY or Circus Ponies, only a satisfied customer.
HTH.
TTFN.

N

njnjboy

Hello Karmapapa,

Thank you for responding with such a thorough post. Your step by step explanation of your methodology is quite helpful.

Karmapapa said:
I evolved this methodology over a number of years, in part to deal with the issues of overview, balance, and getting something do-able from vague goals. This works for me. Try it – if it works for you, great; if not, try something else.

1. Complete the freebie online “Your Best Year Yet Assessment”. You end up with clarification of values and roles, goals for the next 12 months, top 10 goals (which you can make to correspond with your top 10 roles or areas of responsibility or focus areas, whatever you want to call them), and sub-goals or projects for the next month.

I googled using the following term (http://www.google.com/search?q="Your+Best+Year+Yet"+online+Assessment&btnG=Search)
but have been unable to find this freebie...please advise as to url.

Karmapapa said:
2. I keep these monthly goals separate from Outlook. I use a Circus Ponies ...
...out of balance and factor that into the next weekly review.
6. Do the Weekly Review weekly, converting the goals into projects and NAs. It’s the best way I’ve found to make the associations between NAs, personal projects & goals, instead of fretting about coding them in some way. I’ve found that if I skip weekly reviews, I stop trusting the system & lose the benefit of the top-down planning from YBYY.

This is very useful - your explanation of how you translate top level goals to runway level. I'll definitely get the YBYY book if I can't find the online freebie.

Karmapapa said:
There’s no level higher than a 12 monthly view for me, but that’s simply because I’ve never found it helpful. In part, some of the thinking that is relevant to higher altitudes is done in creating the 12 monthly plan and determining your roles/values.

This methodology has helped give me the overview the OP mentioned, whilst translating goals into projects and NAs. I’m not affiliated to YBYY or Circus Ponies, only a satisfied customer.

I can see that my initial approach would be more along 12 months type.

Once again - thank you much for such a thorough explanation of your methodology.

njnjboy

N

njnjboy

summary and thanks to everyone for their response

Dear GtDers,

Thank you one and all for responding to my original post. This is my summary of what I have learned (including NAs for myself). I figured it is a good way to wrap up this thread, while giving me some concrete steps to move forward.

This thread has given me cause and opportunity to revisit the GtD book with particular attention to higher level planning (chapter 2 (p. 48 to end) and chapter 9, which is a much deeper elaboration of chap. 2). My conclusions (labeled as *) and my NAs (labeled as - and sub-levels using multiple dashes) are as follows:
* Tools are not my problem, but process, the philosophical aspect as mentioned by kwms is fundamentally my issue.
* Getting into the habit of cleaning the runway (0K level) and project creation (10K) through a trustworthy system that is practiced through collection process and weekly review is critical in allowing me to (now) see and examine upper level (i.e. vertical perspective rather than just horizontal). DA reinforces this path through the practical result oriented "bottom up" approach. The message for myself is "don't panic - you're on the right path," so my current "nagging" feeling that I need to learn and re-examine the vertical approach to GtD is a good way to go (for me). The anaology of "you must crawl before you walk, walk before you run" applies here, where the collection and Weekly Review process is part of the initial "crawling" stage.

- On the 0K / 10K level, I need to still improve (again DA's insistence on a bottom up approach and front end thinking as the "real-life" way of how we deal with "things"):
-- refine the front end processing of 0K / 10K levels with the (4) Criteria Model for choosing action in the moment (for me - my NAs have had context, but now I need to add time and energy, while relying on my intuition for priority [Ch 9. - p. 192]). When I had originally read the book, I had thought that I just need to choose one of these front end thinking methods. In re-reading Ch 9 - I realize that all these methods need to be applied in a layered way from the bottom up.
-- The 3-Fold Model of evaluating Daily Work (ch 9 - p. 196): I'm not sure if this is a notational approach to NAs (i.e. marking this on the NA text itself). For me, it's more of a way to filter "stuff that happens." In reading this section, I'm realizing that at work I fall into "doing work as it shows up" and at home, I fall into the habit of being sucked into tangential (web) link surfing. I suppose that rather than being a notational system, I need to somehow keep in front of my face the 3 questions associated with this model, so I can add this dimension of front end processing and moment-to-moment "flow" (or the goal towards getting to such flow).
- For the Six-Level Model (ch. 9 - p. 200)
-- Practice getting out of "perfection" mentality for 20-50K thinking
-- Create Palm category of 20K-50K (as mcogilvie had mentioned)
-- At 20K: define my "areas of responsibility" (aka "areas of focus" [p. 205] and "focus areas"):
--- Start labeling in-coming projects with "Focus Area" type of labels (for easier filtering and so that I can more easier consider particular projects at particular vertical levels)

-- 30K-50K: (again, I need to keep the practical bottom-up perspective)
--- Make sure I clean my RAM at 10K level (i.e. projects) and keep practicing and being consistent through activities such as the Weekly Review
--- Dedicate some time to:
---- Use DA questions from p. 208 to think about long term goals
---- Read / scan "Best Year Yet" as another source / method of clarifying these levels
---- Practice thinking about 30K-50K by reviewing on a monthly basis without guilt or worrying about the "perfection" of these goals. Allow the Someday/Maybe (SM) bin to get long range goals that don't intuitively feel right at the time.

Lots to do. Thanks to everyone for their help.

njnjboy