should i write it in my diary?

elroi

Registered
Should I write in my diary things that I want to do every day? Such as learning Frech? (Basing on that I want to learn every day).
One more question - what should I do if I want to run twice a week and I don't really care about which days to run (but at least two days of break between). I need a remark but I can't put it in my diary cause it doesn't "must" to done in Sunday or any other day

TesTeq

Registered
elroi said:
Should I write in my diary things that I want to do every day? Such as learning Frech? (Basing on that I want to learn every day).

Diary? Do you mean calendar? If you want to block time or be reminded - yes.

elroi said:
One more question - what should I do if I want to run twice a week and I don't really care about which days to run (but at least two days of break between). I need a remark but I can't put it in my diary cause it doesn't "must" to done in Sunday or any other day

I prefer to schedule such things. I usually don't remember on Sunday if I was running on Thursday or Wednesday.

Oogiem

Registered
elroi said:

I'm not sure I understand the question. I believe a diary is for recording your thoughts. I never put things I might do or want to do into a diary.

OTOH if TesTeq is correct and you mean a diary to be a calendar, then I would not put anything I "want" to do into that system. For me to keep clean edges the calendar only has things that I must do or that are time critical and cannot be done at another time. My action lists are for all other types of actions.

So for the learn French, I'd have that as a project and then on my action list whatever the next action is, read one chapter in the Learn French text book, listen to a French speaker for 15 minutes, complete one exercise in writing or whatever my actual next task is.

For the running one I'd do it like I am now putting in my weight lifting. I too need to do weight lifting 1 or 2 times a week but I need at least 2 days rest in between. So I set up a project related to strength and health and one of the actions is go to gym and do my weight lifting circuit. It's set to start on the day I started, repeat 3 days after I finish and be due 7 days after I start. Sounds complex but how it works is that if I complete the action, i.e. lift weights, another one is ready to become active after 2 days rest. But if I am lazy or miss a session, I will see near the end of the week that I haven;t done weight lifting yet and be able to go do it.

mcogilvie

Registered
Diary (UK) = Calendar (US). Generally you should do what makes sense to you. If you prefer to schedule exercise or french, schedule it in your diary/calendar. If you prefer to have these things in your context lists, one way to do it is to put the date you last exercised or studied french in the entry, and then review it as an option for that context. Of course, if you are using a program like Omnifocus (Oogie) with defer and due dates, you can automate this a bit. Another possibility which is workable is to monitor habits using something separate from your regular calendar and contexts lists. Paper can be used, but electronic habit trackers are available on both iPhone and Android.