Simplified Scheduling

NicCA16

Registered
Hello! I need suggestions on simplifying the scheduling system we have. I've made several adjustments but cannot seem to figure out a way to really skim it down and avoid so many error pitfalls.
Currently, we have clients on a recurring meeting schedule where I have to add them to my boss's Outlook and Basecamp calendars, along with an excel document that provides the date/time of meeting for each client. That's 3 steps just to schedule one meeting. We have 30+ clients. Outlook allows me to create recurring items, which is a lifesaver. Basecamp Classic does not. In addition to the meetings, each client has tasks that also needed to be added to their Basecamp calendar. This requires that I reference a checklist sheet for each client. Here is a breakdown of steps I take to complete each booking.

1. Add items to Outlook
2. Add milestones to Basecamp
3. Update the checklists as I go along
4. Create a draft of the Excel version of the calendar for each month
5. Double/triple check that Excel calendar.

In addition to all this, I'm constantly having to update the checklists (Excel sheets), when notes change. I also have to reschedule on a daily basis. I'm basically spending most of my time on scheduling.

There's got to be a simpler way to go about all this but I can't wrap my brain around it. I've only been an admin for a year and am still learning. I'm trying to make this process way more efficient. Any suggestions?

TesTeq

Registered
1. Why do you need these Excel documents?
2. If you must use so many tools create checklists to make sure you update everything.

Oogiem

Registered
NicCA16 said:
Hello! I need suggestions on simplifying the scheduling system we have. I've made several adjustments but cannot seem to figure out a way to really skim it down and avoid so many error pitfalls.
Currently, we have clients on a recurring meeting schedule where I have to add them to my boss's Outlook and Basecamp calendars, along with an excel document that provides the date/time of meeting for each client. That's 3 steps just to schedule one meeting. We have 30+ clients. Outlook allows me to create recurring items, which is a lifesaver. Basecamp Classic does not. In addition to the meetings, each client has tasks that also needed to be added to their Basecamp calendar. This requires that I reference a checklist sheet for each client. Here is a breakdown of steps I take to complete each booking.

1. Add items to Outlook
2. Add milestones to Basecamp
3. Update the checklists as I go along
4. Create a draft of the Excel version of the calendar for each month
5. Double/triple check that Excel calendar.

Any suggestions?

You need to pick a single calendar. Use one of the choices, Basecamp or Outlook but not both of them. You can't possibly manage a calendar system with the same data in multiple places that changes rapidly.

If Outlook Calendar and Basecamp Calendar are inadequate look for something else, perhaps using Google calendars?

Anyway, I see that consolidating to a single place for all regularly scheduled meetings is critical. Then for the checklists, which appear to duplicate the calendar system I'd again see about a way to consolidate. I think of calendars for meetings and scheduled things. that isn't the job for a spreadsheet which I think of as a light database app. with computational capability. I can't wrap my brain about what you are even using Excel for so I can't help.

If the Excel part is really just the specific notes that come out of the various meetings then a note taking app is more appropriate. Just because you can collect data in a spreadsheet doesn't mean it's the best app for the job. If you could explain a bit more I might have more suggestions.

TesTeq

Registered
Oogiem said:
You need to pick a single calendar. Use one of the choices, Basecamp or Outlook but not both of them.

Good advice but THE BOSS may be not happy with his empty Outlook calendar... ;-)

TesTeq

Registered
Oogiem said:
That's his problem, not yours. Bosses need to be trained.

I've got no boss. And I wouldn't advise any subordinate to train me. She/he should buy a dog to train if that's her choice to spend time AFTER work. ;-)

Oogiem

Registered
TesTeq said:
I've got no boss. And I wouldn't advise any subordinate to train me. She/he should buy a dog to train if that's her choice to spend time AFTER work. ;-)

We'll have to agree to disagree. It's all about setting appropriate expectations. It's unreasonable for a boss to require duplicated work like that. It's a waste of resources and time. If the boss doesn't understand the issue, I'd go above him or her to the next level or to HR. It can be framed as supporting the company by not wasting time on busy work.

Bosses may not realize the amount of wasted effort that is being expended and so need to be trained in what the jobs they are asking you to do entails and understand the issues and what are reasonable expectations if they demand that level of redundancy.

Bosses should always know how to do the work they are overseeing.