Simpsons' Writers

linuxgeek99

Registered
Wow, a really enjoyable conversation. It neat to see that Comedy writers are (at least it seems to me) spontaneously funny guys. Found myself laughing out loud on the train (earning some strange looks).

I also use hanging folders and took David's advice for one folder per hanging file...

It also will prompt me to look into google web offerings since they seem to work well with GTD

All in all and enjoyable listen

Joe Welsh

jvqueen

Registered
Missed opportunity??

I also enjoyed this mailout and walked away with a few good nuggets. Was also left with a feeling that we missed an opportunity to dive deeper into the creative process as David steered the conversation back to the details of how these guys were implementing. I understand the main topic is GTD, but given where these speakers are in their implementation and the unique perspective they bring, thought a departure from the "in the weeds" implementation might be in order to better use the time to mine their great perspective on effective group interactions and the creative process. As an example, one of the speakers was showing some real energy on the topic of "sincerity of ambition" when David asked the group to "rewind" to some real GTD stuff. Not a huge deal, but for me it steered the converstation away from what could have been a really effective and useful conversation for the change agents out there.

So - a great, entertaining group of guys with a lot of good stuff to contribute. Maybe we can use this forum to continue the discussion on what the business world might learn from their type of group interaction and creative process or anything to follow-on with the discussion of "sincerity of ambition" and how one person with a great idea can get a group moving in the right direction. Seems to be a lot there.

Vince

dschaffner

Registered
linuxgeek99;54624 said:
It neat to see that Comedy writers are (at least it seems to me) spontaneously funny guys. Found myself laughing out loud on the train (earning some strange looks).

I also found that they tended to curse more than David's usual guests :D

And I have to disagree with Vince's comment about steering the conversation back to GTD. IMHO, I think David gives his guest too much free reign. I'd like to see the conversations focus *more* on GTD.

- Don

2percent

Registered
everything is someday/maybe, unless you're doing it now

This was the biggest "Aha!" for me. One of the writers jokingly talked about moving everything to someday/maybe. I decided that was exactly what I needed to do. I started fresh, dragging everything into someday, and moving back into active tasks only what I actually expect and intend to work on in the next 2 weeks. Many of the next actions on the list I had were languishing, and this gives me renewed clarity and focus on what really needs to be in front of my face.

- Jenni
http://www.pertuset.net/openbook

daveallen34

Registered
Those Simpsons Writers

I loved the way they spoke from the heart. In comedy, as in sales, people who are authentic get my attention. My wife sat in silence as we drove for an hour, while I laughed and listened to people I admire (OK, I really like the Simpsons) talk about their own processes and vulnerability.

A great introduction to GTD Connect for me.

Dave Allen
Just Business Magazine